Always On Display driving me up the wall with adaptive brightness in my Pixel 3

Steven P.

I think I found a command to stop the AOD on my Pixel from switching brightness levels every few minutes, it is a source of great annoyance since I have it sitting on a wireless cradle on my desk facing me.

adb shell settings put global always_on_display_constants "screen_brightness_array=-1:10:10:10:10"

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/customize-google-pixel-2-always-on-display-brightness/

The above sets the brightness levels the same, using 10 for the "adaptive" behavior of the AOD (which is NIGHT, LOW, HIGH, SUN), which actually does not disable adaptive brightness for the AOD even if you manually toggle it off in display settings for some reason. 

Maybe this helps someone.

• Thanks 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      OnePlus shows off upcoming Always-On Display designs on video
      by Abhay Venkatesh

OnePlus promised that it will bring an Always-On Display feature to OxygenOS back in May, though, it did not provide a timeline for the feature back then. The company’s CEO, Pete Lau, then teased the feature for its upcoming OxygenOS 11 update – which is expected to have “some fresh design elements”. Now, the executive has posted a new video on Chinese social network Weibo (via XDA-developers) that teases the feature and includes OnePlus employees talking about the work that went into the ideation of the Always-On Display (AOD) designs.

The company collaborated with Parsons School of Design in New York to design the AOD, which involved work to reduce the number of active pixels that will be needed to display the designs on the screen. Dense content could lead to higher battery consumption owing to the higher number of pixels that have to be enabled, in turn impacting usability.

The video (re-uploaded by 9to5Google) shows off the AOD working on a OnePlus 8-series phone, giving a glimpse of the timeline-like view for the time and a counter for the number of times the phone was unlocked at the top. The implementation is an interesting one and a departure from the standard AOD screens displaying the time and date in monochromatic colors. However, it is not clear if the design will be similar for both OxygenOS 11 and HydrogenOS 11. The latter is a version of the OS tailored specifically for the Chinese market.

It will be interesting to see if the firm brings heavy customization options of the AOD designs akin to Samsung’s implementation of the feature. It is also not clear if the feature will be limited to newer devices, or if all supported OnePlus phones will be served the update. OnePlus is expected to release the final developer preview of OxygenOS on August 10, with a public beta soon after. Therefore, the wait for the list of features making it to the next major update should not be very long.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      OnePlus will finally add always-on display to its phones
      by Jay Bonggolto

OnePlus has been using AMOLED displays on its handsets for a long time now; however they lack support for an always-on display (AOD). This is changing soon as the company confirmed today that it is bringing this feature to its smartphones.

The phone maker has announced on Twitter that its product team has now included AOD in its development roadmap. OnePlus notes that always-on display is one of the highly requested features by customers for quite some time now. In fact, on its IDEAS portal for user suggestions, AOD gained the highest number of votes among the ideas submitted. It has now been adopted by OnePlus and a company representative responded:

The company also addressed a key issue associated with an always-on display such as battery life consumption. For instance, the company ran some tests and found that "AOD could roughly consume about 350-500 mAh of the battery, which means you might get one or two hours deducted from your daily usage".

OnePlus says "initial power consumption tests have been passed and it is now fine-tuning AOD to make sure it is perfectly optimized." The feature should likely be available for recent OnePlus devices like the OnePlus 7T and OnePlus 7T Pro.

• By JustinCharlier
      Motorola accuses Samsung of copying its 'Always-On Display' feature for the Galaxy Note7
      by Justin Luna

Samsung recently unveiled its latest Note handset, the Galaxy Note7, packing a slew of new features and improvements. Aside from the new S-Pen, the phablet also has the 'Always-On Display' (AOD) feature, which enables owners of the handset to write and create memos on the phone right on the screen, without using any app. However, Android OEM Motorola isn't too happy upon hearing this, and has taken to Twitter to accuse the Korean tech giant of stealing the feature from its Moto X handset.

The Lenovo subsidiary posted an (un)subtle attack on Samsung on Twitter, questioning it about the Note7 feature:

The Moto X - which was launched in 2013 - was the first Motorola smartphone after the Google acquisition, before the company was acquired by Lenovo. While it is correct that Motorola included the AOD feature ahead of the Galaxy Note7, it is not the first phone company to implement it. As Android Authority points out, the Nokia N86 smartphone from 2009 was the first handset to have such a feature, which was then re-introduced as the Glance Screen for Lumia devices back in 2013.

While things like these may be regarded as rather petty, it would be very interesting to see if Samsung responds to Motorola's (slightly erroneous) claim. After all, it makes sense that Motorola wants to take a quick jab at a competitor who's getting most of the spotlight in the smartphone game.

Source: Android Authority