My cat hit her head hard and passed away shortly after

So apparently while I was at work my fiancé said our kitten was under the couch and as he was getting her out she ran out from underneath and hit her head on our baby’s stroller. So after she went into some type of shock and died. Is it me or do cats really die from running into things or is this an excuse my fiancé came up with to cover something up?  I’ve had cats for years and nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

Animals die for all kinds of silly reasons, while it certainly is possible to hit your head and die, humans do it all the time especially the young ones, my question would be, do you have a reason to question his version of events?

• Like 2

Only a vet could tell you why it happened, not anyone here. If the kitten had a brain aneurysm or some pre-existing condition it is plausible when injury is added.
Your concern to question your fiancé, concerns me though. I'm a strong believer in instincts. People often pickup on things, without realizing it or consciously processing it, but it does inform their feelings.
Like they may  question the story their fiancé has told. But be warned he may not be pleased if you investigate this and his story checks out. He may be hurt by perceived mistrust/actual mistrust.
Again, knowing how people treat inferiors says a lot about them, and that will color your relationship with him in the future. It's your choice.

Good luck !!!

Edit: I don't know, but I wouldn't be shocked if kittens, like young children especially girls playing sports, are at an increased risk of head injury during rough play. Much like football players.

• Like 2

Firstly really sorry to hear about your kitten.  

I would second the comments below.  Kittens may be energetic and reckless, but given their weight I cannot understand how just running into furniture would cause a fatal head injury.

39 minutes ago, Riva said:

I very much question it myself, the cat needs to hit furniture with great force to cause self harm and cats seem to be well aware of their surroundings at any time - at least not the very old ones.

For a cat to have such a serious head injury and die within minutes, it must be hit on the head with a blunt object, stepped on, having their skull crashed by a dog, falling from great heights or stepped on.

I am not suggesting you confront your fiance, he probably accidentally stepped on the cat if he isnt used to one being around.

I know people who had intentionally harmed animals because they didnt want them. I also observed that people who passionately dislike pets tend to be the shittiest people :p

Both my cats have done stupid things. My one cat passed away at 8 years old last year after being hit by a car in the night. That day he fell off the bed. Only a short height, but its odd as cats usually land on their feet, however in this instance, he landed on his back and just lay there for a few moments until he got up. I think something may have been wrong with him that day. He never went across the road, so the fact he was hit by a car in the night is even more strange. I think he had become disorientated.

My current cat is just over a year old now and is nuts. He will often climb his climber, fall asleep on top, then fall off in his sleep. He will run toward things and suddenly hit himself where he couldn't stop in time. As he is getting older he is doing this less, but all cats have their crazy moments. Kittens though, tend to be absolute bundles of energy, so it doesn't surprise me much that something like that would\could happen.

What im saying is, that yes, it can happen. Its not common, but can happen. Even if this didn't happen and your Fiance did something accidental to the kitten like drop it or something. She would obviously feel terrible for that and im sure would be scared to tell you the truth. So if you love her, then please just leave it be and move on. Sometimes knowing the truth can hurt and its really not necessary in this case.

8 hours ago, Director Fury said:

Only a vet could tell you why it happened, not anyone here. If the kitten had a brain aneurysm or some pre-existing condition it is plausible when injury is added.
Your concern to question your fiancé, concerns me though. I'm a strong believer in instincts. People often pickup on things, without realizing it or consciously processing it, but it does inform their feelings.
Like they may  question the story their fiancé has told. But be warned he may not be pleased if you investigate this and his story checks out. He may be hurt by perceived mistrust/actual mistrust.
Again, knowing how people treat inferiors says a lot about them, and that will color your relationship with him in the future. It's your choice.

Good luck !!!

Edit: I don't know, but I wouldn't be shocked if kittens, like young children especially girls playing sports, are at an increased risk of head injury during rough play. Much like football players.

Well it’s not the first cat we’ve had that’s had some type of head injury while I’m gone at work, we’ve went through 3 kittens within 2 months and he always seems to tell me that they ran into something. I’m done getting cats if this is the case.

9 hours ago, JaredFrost said:

Animals die for all kinds of silly reasons, while it certainly is possible to hit your head and die, humans do it all the time especially the young ones, my question would be, do you have a reason to question his version of events?

I question it because this is the 3rd cat I’ve adopted and they’ve all had some type of trauma in the head when I’m gone at work, all within 2 months. I’ve never in my life went through so many animals in just two months and I’ve had cats for years and never had a problem. 

• Sad 2

This is the 3rd kitten I’ve gone through within 2 months though so it’s not just a coincidence that they keep “running into things that causes head trauma and they die” so that’s why I question my fiancé.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Jojo3leet3 said:

This is the 3rd kitten I’ve gone through within 2 months though so it’s not just a coincidence that they keep “running into things that causes head trauma and they die” so that’s why I question my fiancé.

Now, that would definitely make me more than suspicious!!

3 hours ago, restroom said:

Both my cats have done stupid things. My one cat passed away at 8 years old last year after being hit by a car in the night. That day he fell off the bed. Only a short height, but its odd as cats usually land on their feet, however in this instance, he landed on his back and just lay there for a few moments until he got up. I think something may have been wrong with him that day. He never went across the road, so the fact he was hit by a car in the night is even more strange. I think he had become disorientated.

My current cat is just over a year old now and is nuts. He will often climb his climber, fall asleep on top, then fall off in his sleep. He will run toward things and suddenly hit himself where he couldn't stop in time. As he is getting older he is doing this less, but all cats have their crazy moments. Kittens though, tend to be absolute bundles of energy, so it doesn't surprise me much that something like that would\could happen.

What im saying is, that yes, it can happen. Its not common, but can happen. Even if this didn't happen and your Fiance did something accidental to the kitten like drop it or something. She would obviously feel terrible for that and im sure would be scared to tell you the truth. So if you love her, then please just leave it be and move on. Sometimes knowing the truth can hurt and its really not necessary in this case.

Cats need a certain height to orient themselves. I think the idea is that if it's anything below a couple of floors they don't have the time. They also don't have a fatal terminal velocity, apparently, so you could throw a cat off the Empire State Building and while it wouldn't walk away unscathed it would still live. Apparently.

Ok, maybe not the Empire State Building. But 30 floors is quite high.

3 minutes ago, Jojo3leet3 said:

Well it’s not the first cat we’ve had that’s had some type of head injury while I’m gone at work, we’ve went through 3 kittens within 2 months and he always seems to tell me that they ran into something. I’m done getting cats if this is the case.

Umm, yeah...3 cats in 2 months is too many.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jojo3leet3 said:

That's far beyond reasonable chance. 😢

I would have given him the benefit of the doubt about the first one, especially as I have seen it happen myself when I was a kid.

2 hours ago, Jojo3leet3 said:

2 hours ago, Jojo3leet3 said:

Sorry about your predicament, it's a tough one. This being the third time changes all that.

1 hour ago, shockz said:

She's killing those cats. 1 sure, 2 bad luck and suspicion. 3... serial killer in the making.

Well it’s not a she haha I’m the she, I’m talking about him as my fiancé lol 

• Like 2

So having read this: You are absolutely right to question it. Statistically, unless you live on some sort of adventure playground, you’re well above the odds for cat deaths. Sorry you fella sounds like a psycho.

I thought cats have nine lives.

Joke aside, three cats in two months?

That's extremely suspicious.

Enough that I would be installing hidden cameras at this point.

I hate to tell you, but you fiance is probably guilty of animal cruelty.

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Like 1

yeah I agree 3 times is WAY to suspicious.

I hate to be that guy to your fiance but I'd recommend having the vet examine the kitten if you haven't already and explain the situation to see if they suspect animal cruelty that needs reported to authorities ...

Such an odd question... probably should talk to the fiance vs. an internet forum... 

....because of course losing multiple cats over the course of a few months is highly unusual.  They aren't fish (unless they are catfish?)...

Well, if it is a kitten, they don't have hard heads yet. They haven't "fully" grown. If he hit the stroller hard enough, that could easily cause shock. And they can die from the shock if not treated.

But do make sure your fiance isn't lying. Get a Vet review on that kitten, too.

7 hours ago, Riva said:

Do we need to risk another kitten just to catch him on the act? Dont think so.

Agree with previous comments, he is a psycho

Haven't you heard of the phase "love is blind"?

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Haven't you heard of the phase "love is blind"?

Ba dum tiss...

7 hours ago, Jim K said:

Such an odd question... probably should talk to the fiance vs. an internet forum... 

....because of course losing multiple cats over the course of a few months is highly unusual.  They aren't fish (unless they are catfish?)...

With a potential cat-slaying fiance, be sure you confront him with a trusted friend present!