• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Ad Blocker

theslam08    14

*probably beating a dead horse here but...*

So I definitely understand that ads are a big part of your support to keep this site up - I get that. I always turn off my ad blocker for places like this that rely on that in a big way. I'm not rich so I cannot afford an ad-free subscription so I would rather support by turning the ad blocker off (because I still want to support, I like this site been here long time)

But that is not happening anymore until the ads are fixed. 

I'm not going to let a page keep loading endlessly because of some ad or having annoying videos/music playing without interaction (it just plays). (it does this heavily in the news articles)

I've read that exact sentence on many sites with ads. No one wants ads that forever loop load or play music/video in the bg - big and obnoxious or small. I've seen ads that are simple w/no video or sound and they load almost instant with the rest of the page. I'm sure you can do that. 

I feel guilty clicking the "Continue with Ad Blocker on" but until they're are fixed, I will be leaving it on.

Just a FYI

Mindovermaster    2,483

I never get audio and video. Unless you are talking about user-made videos? (there's add-ons to stop videos from auto playing)

What needs to be "fixed"?

Brandon H    3,139

Neowin doesn't allow ads to auto play with audio. please try and get the ad details so we can report those kind of ads. though our guidelines with the ad providers are strict things do slip by on occasion so reports from the users allow us to report/correct the issue quicker.

if you can get the ad URL via F12 dev tools that would be greatly appreciated and we'll report it so it's no longer an issue for you

shockz    6,015
5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Neowin doesn't allow ads to auto play with audio. please try and get the ad details so we can report those kind of ads. though our guidelines with the ad providers are strict things do slip by on occasion so reports from the users allow us to report/correct the issue quicker.

This is exactly why people continue to block ads. You say you don't allow it but things constantly slip through. Your provider sounds sketchy and after numerous complaints this is still an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brandon H    3,139
6 minutes ago, shockz said:

This is exactly why people continue to block ads. You say you don't allow it but things constantly slip through. Your provider sounds sketchy and after numerous complaints this is still an issue.

this happens with every provider; even google's. there's only so much Steve can do about it. Steve has gone through numerous ad providers at this point. The current providers are the most reliable but things still slip through on occasion.

please don't make it out to sound like it's our fault. This is why we ask for assistance to report things that slip through as quickly as possible.

shockz    6,015
9 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

this happens with every provider; even google's. there's only so much Steve can do about it. Steve has gone through numerous ad providers at this point. The current providers are the most reliable but things still slip through on occasion.

please don't make it out to sound like it's our fault. This is why we ask for assistance to report things that slip through as quickly as possible.

I'm not making it sound like it's your fault. I'm explaining why people won't unblock, for the simple explanation that ad providers are lousy and don't adhere to the standards and recommendations that site owners request. Ultimately though, it is the site's responsibility for the content being served.

theslam08    14

Next time I notice one I will post it...i'll do a few browsing sessions without the ad blocker and see. 

Things like the looping is also absolutely unnecessary. I see in the top tab the circle just keeps going around (showing the tab is 'loading'...it will also say 'loading/waiting for...' in the bottom left), yet everything part of the site is loaded (excluding some stupid rouge ad that just wants to keep a constant connection).

I see it on a lot of sites I visit (I try browsing many w.out the adblocker on from time to time to see if it's any better). It is not just here. It's a terrible ad network you're on. I've seen very basic ads on sites before, simple banners. Then i've seen others with every type of ad possible loading up making a 2 second page load into never-ending-page load. Which some of your articles do - never end loading. For those on data limits, that would not go over well for them (eating all their data). 

Simply, try browsing the articles/site yourself without the blocker. You'll catch them i'm sure.

theslam08    14

Was like the 3rd article I clicked....lol

Simply started playing as soon as I scrolled into the comments....

Some Inspect info: 

<lima-video class="html5-player" playsinline="true" webkit-playsinline="" src="https://ads.w55c.net/t/v/0_WsHSvKls_800.mp4"></lima-video>

<video playsinline="true" webkit-playsinline="" src="https://ads.w55c.net/t/v/0_WsHSvKls_800.mp4" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; object-fit: cover;"></video>

..Please just browse the site yourself without an adblocker. You'll see them just as many others that run to an adblocker have done. Then maybe with simple banner ads, i'll turn my adblocker off. But for now, it's back on, sorry.

Screenshot:

auto-playing-ad.png

Mindovermaster    2,483

I have the adblocker whitelisted for this site. I NEVER saw that.

Might want to run a malwarebyte instance... Ads, afaik, can get into different sites rather they allow it or not. Malware/Viruses can do mean stuff.

I don't think that is us promoting it. (mod to confirm)

Edit: The "always loading" could be the ad switcher or the mini spy. Unless you are off that page for a certain amount of time, it runs endlessly...