• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Do you Hackintosh?

+forster    153

I just wondered if anyone in the community uses a Hackintosh, whether just for curiosity, experimentation, or as a system to get real-life work done (most likely video and music production Id guess, or just general day to day consumption of media).

I currently run a Ryzen based Hackintosh as a daily driver, it's great and the only thing that I really can't get access to is Adobe Lightroom (not a big deal as I use Photoshop). I'm running a Ryzen 3600 on an Asus Tuf X570 plus Wifi with 32 gig of ram, really only because I like to use macOS messaging integration (I use an iPhone), and I am an amateur hobbyist when it comes to a piece of tech I try and tinker with it as much as possible.

I've had several Hackintosh machines in the past, an intel 4770k/Gigabyte board hack, and just picked up a Dell e5470 laptop which worked great with macOS too.

So, would be interested in anyone else's experiences, especially if you have jumped into using Opencore as opposed to Clover - my Ryzen machine is using Opencore and it seems to give a much more of an authentic 'Mac' experience i.e. my Apple TV app works, which I haven't managed to get working on my old intel systems. 

Brandon H    3,501

my last attempt at a hackintosh failed miserably; but that could have to do with the hardware in my computer wasn't compatible enough. (edit: my last attempt was also like 6-7 years ago too so processes could have improved for getting it going)

I've heard it's rather nice once running properly though.

I do like MacOS, just wish it wasn't officially locked to their hardware.

firey    4,149

Personally I never have.  I installed OSX years and years ago on Virtual Box using Chameleon or something like that.  I have a MacBook Pro and I actually really like how well OSX Runs.  I have a Dell Laptop with similar specs to the MPB and it feels way more sluggish with Windows 10 than the MBP with OSX feels.

adrynalyne    13,020

I’ve done it, but it’s simply not worth it knowing in the back of your mind the next update will likely break it al to hell. 

+forster    153

True enough, it's always a risk, I like to think of it as a challenge 😉

adrynalyne    13,020
4 minutes ago, forster said:

True enough, it's always a risk, I like to think of it as a challenge 😉

I need a machine that works though. If it was a hobby, sure. 

• Like 1

+forster    153
Just now, adrynalyne said:

I need a machine that works though. If it was a hobby, sure. 

Yeah its always the issue, I know if I want to use my Dell laptop full time Im going to have to switch out the wifi card inside it, which I dont really want to do. Intel-wise is the safest, and use a Gigabyte board. The Hackintosh Reddit and tonymacx86.com are excellent resources. I'm sorely tempted to build a 9900k Hackintosh, but I really can't even use both the full-tower systems I have at once right now, never mind a totally overkill 'build on a whim' third machine just because I want to.

• Like 1

ZakO    521

I have OSX running as a secondary OS on my Dell XPS that I can boot into on the rare occasions I need to push an app store update through Xcode.

I used a MacBook Pro for 5 years before this and honestly running it on the XPS 13 barely feels any different once it's set up. Minor updates (10.15.x -> 10.15.y) rarely cause any issues, so it's really only once a year with major updates (10.x -> 10.y) that you need to worry. I'm still using Clover and while I don't use OSX full time anymore, I feel like it's stable enough on the XPS that I could, if I wanted to. 

adrynalyne    13,020
12 minutes ago, ZakO said:

I have OSX running as a secondary OS on my Dell XPS that I can boot into on the rare occasions I need to push an app store update through Xcode.

I used a MacBook Pro for 5 years before this and honestly running it on the XPS 13 barely feels any different once it's set up. Minor updates (10.15.x -> 10.15.y) rarely cause any issues, so it's really only once a year with major updates (10.x -> 10.y) that you need to worry. I'm still using Clover and while I don't use OSX full time anymore, I feel like it's stable enough on the XPS that I could, if I wanted to. 

Dunno. A minor update took out my Clover setup. That was the time I decided it wasn’t worth it anymore. 

goretsky    1,120

Hello,

No.  When I need to look at my employer's macOS-based programs or to check if something works in Safari, I use a regular (if somewhat old) MacBook Pro.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Steven P.    14,952

I tried maybe 6 years ago (with my, then new, i5-4440 PC build) when @Timan tried to convince me Mac is better than Windows 😛