Do you Hackintosh?

I used to hackintosh in the Leopard era... 2007 but not more. It is a waste of time in my opinion. Any update to the OS, brake the whole system down and you have to re-install again. Too painful. I rather have a real old apple system and this is why I have a macpro 2010.

2 minutes ago, macoman said:

Any update to the OS, brake the whole system down and you have to re-install again

Not really, there's plenty of threads on the hackintosh reddit, AMDOSX, Insanelymac where people are fine with their vanilla installs and updating the system through apple and it goes fine. Yes, you can have a problem, and the AMD side is especially vulnerable as the processors arent natively supported by the OS and have to be patched (which can be 'broken' by Apple) but it's part of the fun and part of the challenge to running the system.

I've a Mac mini too, and an old G4 that's running great. Its all about choice and I respect those who opt for legit, and opt to hack.

I just did it yesterday. I had to stick to High Sierra due to my 1080, but it wasnt a super complicated process. Took about an hour and a half from start to finish.

I used the hackintosh subreddit vanilla-opencore guide

It didnt hurt the brand of any other software that has requirements listed clearly.

They could just say if you don't match the requirements then it doesn't work as well.

Their os is just a custom window manager on Berkeley Unix out of California. That's right, it's just BSD.

I never said my opinions reflected the whole of the internet.

They could sell it, it would be fine, as far as I'm concerned they're ignoring a potential revenue stream.

Shoot, since it's the big thing right now they could even offer it as a subscription for non-Apple hardware and I know people that would jump on it.

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, margrave said:

It didnt hurt the brand of any other software that has requirements listed clearly.

They could just say if you don't match the requirements then it doesn't work as well.

Their os is just a custom window manager on Berkeley Unix out of California. That's right, it's just BSD.

I never said my opinions reflected the whole of the internet.

They could sell it, it would be fine, as far as I'm concerned they're ignoring a potential revenue stream.

Shoot, since it's the big thing right now they could even offer it as a subscription for non-Apple hardware and I know people that would jump on it.

Your post just shows you have no idea of the brand and experience that they trade on. So fair play to you, this conversation is done as it’s pointless.

I've had Apple products. There's nothing that one of them can do that a more economically priced device can't do. Especially one build by hand.

From my experience the brand they sell is a fully locked down environment where the user is highly limited. At least there's a bunch of more freedom in the new Unix based OS than from previous versions. 6, 7, even up to 9 MacOS were not only locked down heavily, but trying to program on one of those devices was a nightmare! I hated that!

As far as I can tell they want a system so easy that anyone can use it. That's what everyone's trying to do though. They also tend to be proud of not being compatible with other systems. That serves no purpose other than to separate users unless you're 'one of us'.

And if you don't think that MacOS is Unix, just open your Applications folder, then open Utilities and double-click on Terminal. That's a proper *ix command terminal.

If they could get their store on more systems that would be a new possible window of software sales. I'm not saying all of their OS's could be sold, just their Unix MacOS. NOT iOS! That should stay married to iPhone and iPad.

This is one of the reasons I don't support the idea of one OS for all devices. I just don't think it would make the maximum amount of revenue.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, margrave said:

I've had Apple products. There's nothing that one of them can do that a more economically priced device can't do. 

Mmmmm. Build iOS or macOS apps are two things. Did you mean device to be a Hackintosh?

Been using a Hackintosh for the last 4-5 years now. It has been very stable. Two days every year, I need to spend some time on updating everything or reinstalling everything. I usually do a clean install once a year when a major new macOS release is out. I am using Clover, though there is now Opencore which is supposedly even better. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Mmmmm. Build iOS or macOS apps are two things. Did you mean device to be a Hackintosh?

I meant programing back on MacOS 6 through 9 sucked.

Since 10 it became WAY better.

• 8 months later...
On 14/01/2020 at 13:18, forster said:

I just wondered if anyone in the community uses a Hackintosh, whether just for curiosity, experimentation, or as a system to get real-life work done (most likely video and music production Id guess, or just general day to day consumption of media).

I currently run a Ryzen based Hackintosh as a daily driver, it's great and the only thing that I really can't get access to is Adobe Lightroom (not a big deal as I use Photoshop). I'm running a Ryzen 3600 on an Asus Tuf X570 plus Wifi with 32 gig of ram, really only because I like to use macOS messaging integration (I use an iPhone), and I am an amateur hobbyist when it comes to a piece of tech I try and tinker with it as much as possible.

I've had several Hackintosh machines in the past, an intel 4770k/Gigabyte board hack, and just picked up a Dell e5470 laptop which worked great with macOS too.

So, would be interested in anyone else's experiences, especially if you have jumped into using Opencore as opposed to Clover - my Ryzen machine is using Opencore and it seems to give a much more of an authentic 'Mac' experience i.e. my Apple TV app works, which I haven't managed to get working on my old intel systems. 

I am running a hackintosh with Ryzen 3900x using Opencore 0.6.3. It's great so far, though I don't have a specific use-case for MacOS. I have Win10 in separate ssd, but rarely use it. I ran Manjaro before MacOS, though.