US Space Force mocked for unveiling camouflage uniforms

US Space Force mocked for unveiling camouflage uniforms

The US Space Force has defended its newly unveiled camouflage uniforms after they were roundly mocked on social media.

The force, officially launched by US President Donald Trump last month, posted a picture of the uniform to its Twitter account.

The uniform in the picture has a woodland camouflage design with badges embroidered on the arm and chest.

Reacting to the uniform, many critics had the same question: "Camo in space?"

Source and more

I sort of understand their reasoning about saving money and the fact that the department won't be sending people in to space for war (at least, not at this time) so it's for the ground personnel. But some of the comments are funny, and I do wonder why they showed a uniform at all? Why not just show the badges?

Typical agenda driven "news" and brainless Tweets. 

With the ink on the legislation barely dry, the actual Space Force uniforms, logos and emblems are still in the design & order process. These are just make-dos until that process and done and the orders filled.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, the vast majority of the U.S. Space Force soldiers will be stationed, surprise-surprise, on Earth, - hence the classic camouflage.

Reading those tweets it does seem like some people expected the U.S. Space Force to be dressed in Starfleet inspired tight and colorful costumes, running around with stun guns :D 

Secondly, I totally expect the U.S. Space Force to have a variety of camouflage options for various external conditions: arctic, tropical, desert, etc., AND moon and mars in the future.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:07 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

Every member of this stupid space force SHOULD be mocked IMO, for being members of something that the US doesn't even have any self-propelled presence in.

That's just a temporary set-back.

16 minutes ago, Peresvet said:

That's just a temporary set-back.

Ya, temporary as in not in anybody's life time for any where near the foreseeable future!

On 2/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

Every member of this stupid space force SHOULD be mocked IMO, for being members of something that the US doesn't even have any self-propelled presence in.

Besides the stainless steel beast that is Starship S/N-1 being assembled in Texas (S/N-2 parts are already being fabricated) for tests this year,

(Ars Technica)

...and another Crew Dragon for NASA's US Crew Vehicle (USCV)-1 mission arrives at the cape this summer.

isn't it just cheaper to use the existing digital camo uniforms they have?... honestly it makes sense....

what would you expect them to be? all black because of space is black in appearance? clear?....... silver?,........

33 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Sorry, but as much as I like SpaceX, I'm not going to believe that thing is viable until it flies to space and back.

Crew Dragon DM-1 flew to ISS last March, docked, stayed a while, un-docked, re-entered and splashed down a few km from the SpaceX & Navy ships assigned to it.

No astronauts aboard, but by all accounts they'd have had a smooth trip.

The TV static isn't the end

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Not the Dragon, you know exactly what I mean.  The Whale.  Starship.

The Army Futures Command commander visited Boca Chica earlier this month, congressmen in tow.

Things are moving fast at Boca Chica.

They're stacking Starship S/N-1, are making parts for S/N-2 and the new Vertical Assembly Building is towering above everything and growing. There are enough ring segments for at least 2 vehicles, and with the new tooling they are SMOOTH. The FAA, local govt. and SpaceX  want the residents out if Boca Chica Village by the end of March for flight tests. 

Tons of work being done at the launch pad as well.

7 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Talk to me when it FLIES, not when they add a bit more steel to it.

Can't stack vehicles until the VAB is completed and its overhead crane fitted. Meanwhile, the S/N-1 vehicle exists in 3-4 segment sub-assemblies around the site. The thrust structure (engine mount) and its attached rings & hardware were spotted yesterday.