Lennox Lewis Retires

Lennox Lewis has officially confirmed his retirement from boxing.

The 38-year-old world heavyweight champion has turned his back on a rematch with Vitali Klitschko, whom he beat in his last fight last June.

Lewis was told by the World Boxing Council he must agree to face the Ukrainian again by March 1 or be stripped of his title.

source: Here

He will always be remembered as the greatest boxer that no one cares about. Because he is, who cares about Lewis. He came in to an era when heavyweights were not very good. The best fighters he fought were Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield. Tyson when he was insane and Holyfield when he was 80. The Klitschko guy beat his ass and Lewis got away on a tecnicality. When Tyson was in his prime and before his jail time, he was easily considered one of the greatest heavyweights to ever step into the ring, or going to be rather. Lennox Lewis is absolutley no one, he fought weak opponents and occasionaly lost. So good buy, now I don't have to hear you brag about how great you think you are and your accent.

He will always be remembered as the greatest boxer that no one cares about. Because he is, who cares about Lewis. He came in to an era when heavyweights were not very good. The best fighters he fought were Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield. Tyson when he was insane and Holyfield when he was 80. The Klitschko guy beat his ass and Lewis got away on a tecnicality. When Tyson was in his prime and before his jail time, he was easily considered one of the greatest heavyweights to ever step into the ring, or going to be rather. Lennox Lewis is absolutley no one, he fought weak opponents and occasionaly lost. So good buy, now I don't have to hear you brag about how great you think you are and your accent.

haha, you know .. i have to agree with you there. I dont know why everyone was all into him.. I think Tyson was much better than him before he went all crazy.. and Holeyfield was good, just too old :l

hes had a great career and is one of the best boxers of this era,  would of liked to see one more fight though

Agreed. Against someone that is half decent would be a first for him.

100% right on. Lennox was a champion of opportunity He was the best bad boxer of his time. Heck...Roy Jones Jr. would probably give him a run for his money.

To much desmay Lewis was the greatest boxer of his era and never had the competition like Muhamed Ali or Joe Fraiser. Lewis was a big strong fighter that ruled the heaveyweights for a strong period of time. Too bad Tyson never panned out after he signed with Don King. That should have been Lewis' climatic fight but it was a bust. He then took the Klitesko fight and did not have the drive any more. People will always remember Lewis as the fighter who went one to many. However, in comparison, Ali fought half a dozen more fights than he should have. Same with Foreman, Fraiser and all the greats. Lewis only went one to long. I tip my cap to the dominating force that was Lewis. It's a shame he didn't fight 20 years earlier against some REAL competion.

I disagree. Lennox was a very strong fighter who boxed well. I think he would have stood his ground against the former greats.

Lewis would have stood his ground for maybe 3 rounds then his chin would have gotten the best of him. The heavyweight boxing era sure lost alot of ground, theres no talent. I mean, who's the heir apparent, Klitshcos? However you spell it, I can never remember. But don't get me wrong, Lennox was very good with what he had to work with. He had "some" talent. Never stood out as "special".

His fakeness is what I couldn't stand. He was from Canada but suddenly fighting out of Britain with a British accent? huh? Kinda like Holyfield preaching all the time yet married like 10 times with 50 kids (exaggerating but close).

Heavyweight title is up for grabs now, it can belong to "any" of the contenders just depends on what day it is. Who knows maybe Ruiz will unify, cough, cough.

Lewis would have stood his ground for maybe 3 rounds then his chin would have gotten the best of him. The heavyweight boxing era sure lost alot of ground, theres no talent. I mean, who's the heir apparent, Klitshcos? However you spell it, I can never remember. But don't get me wrong, Lennox was very good with what he had to work with. He had "some" talent. Never stood out as "special".

His fakeness is what I couldn't stand. He was from Canada but suddenly fighting out of Britain with a British accent? huh? Kinda like Holyfield preaching all the time yet married like 10 times with 50 kids (exaggerating but close).

Heavyweight title is up for grabs now, it can belong to "any" of the contenders just depends on what day it is. Who knows maybe Ruiz will unify, cough, cough.

I think what makes Lewis special is that he unified the titles. A feat few had achieved in the past. Especially in this era. As for the fake quality you refered to I couldn't agree any more. I'm ashamed that many Canadian reporters refered to him as Canadian. He didn't want to be one of us and quite frankly doesn't deserve to be. To be perfectly honest, Lennox was born in Jamaica, moved here at a young age. Won in the olympics as a Canadian then became British to further his boxing career. Great move on his part as the American media never would have taken a Canadian seriously. I know there's Gatti but the yanks even consider him American.

As for the predesessor. I don't know where to look. I don't believe the Klitshko's will be accepted in an American market. Goodness help up if Ruiz unifies the titles. :p I don't see a legitamet contender in the heaveyweight class. Maybe, for the time being the stress will have to fall on stars in other weight classes like the aforementioned Arturo Gatti. He's amazing to watch and could help keep attention off of the lack luster heaveyweight class.

I think what makes Lewis special is that he unified the titles. A feat few had achieved in the past. Especially in this era. As for the fake quality you referred to I couldn't agree any more. I'm ashamed that many Canadian reporters referred to him as Canadian. He didn't want to be one of us and quite frankly doesn't deserve to be. To be perfectly honest, Lennox was born in Jamaica, moved here at a young age. Won in the olympics as a Canadian then became British to further his boxing career. Great move on his part as the American media never would have taken a Canadian seriously. I know there's Gatti but the yanks even consider him American.

As for the predesessor. I don't know where to look. I don't believe the Klitshko's will be accepted in an American market. Goodness help up if Ruiz unifies the titles. :p I don't see a legitamet contender in the heaveyweight class. Maybe, for the time being the stress will have to fall on stars in other weight classes like the aforementioned Arturo Gatti. He's amazing to watch and could help keep attention off of the lack luster heaveyweight class.

Lewis unifying titles goes back to one thing, who was the competition. He fought most foes on a decline, or the little talented on the incline. I do recognize he was the champ and he was the man to beat. I cant take credit away. Or at least I'm refraining from it as much as possible. I really don't care for Lewis. I cant stand Ruiz even more. Ive already made a decision to never watch Ruiz in a fight again. And I'm a fanatic for boxing, I will watch the crappiest fight just to get a fix, but I don't like watching grass grow. Which is what Ruiz fights are like.

What are unified titles anyways. There are soooo many bogus ones so these sanctioning bodies can make a little more cash. There should only be one, and fighters should have to "really" be forced to fight the best out there.

About the Klitzkos (whatever), they are already being accepted in our market. Look at HBO, calling them the heir apparents. They had the public believing they were the ones to dethrone Lewis. Had Lewis been in fighting shape, he wouldve destroyed Vitali.

Arturro Gatti is quite a fun fighter to watch, I rate him about a 6 or 7 in the top ten. Unfortunately, he really doesn't stand a chance against Tszyu, Corley, Judah. Good thing Judah is moving up to the welters to fight Spinks. Now thats gonna be good... (Y)

Lewis unifying titles goes back to one thing, who was the competition. He fought most foes on a decline, or the little talented on the incline. I do recognize he was the champ and he was the man to beat. I cant take credit away. Or at least I'm refraining from it as much as possible. I really don't care for Lewis. I cant stand Ruiz even more. Ive already made a decision to never watch Ruiz in a fight again. And I'm a fanatic for boxing, I will watch the crappiest fight just to get a fix, but I don't like watching grass grow. Which is what Ruiz fights are like.

What are unified titles anyways. There are soooo many bogus ones so these sanctioning bodies can make a little more cash. There should only be one, and fighters should have to "really" be forced to fight the best out there.

About the Klitzkos (whatever), they are already being accepted in our market. Look at HBO, calling them the heir apparents. They had the public believing they were the ones to dethrone Lewis. Had Lewis been in fighting shape, he wouldve destroyed Vitali.

Arturro Gatti is quite a fun fighter to watch, I rate him about a 6 or 7 in the top ten. Unfortunately, he really doesn't stand a chance against Tszyu, Corley, Judah. Good thing Judah is moving up to the welters to fight Spinks. Now thats gonna be good... (Y)

I won't disagree with the no competition thing. But can you dock him for being head and shoulders above the rest? Ruiz stinks. Enough said.

As for the one title I couldn't agree anymore. One title would make things a lot better and allow for a clear cut #1.

The Klitskos or whatever sp, are only going to be excepted because there's nothing else out there. They will dubbed the guys that made Lewis retire but Lewis was done before he fought them so that is a shame.

As for Gatti he is great to watch but not an amazing boxer. We'll see what comes of him.

I disagree. Lennox was a very strong fighter who boxed well. I think he would have stood his ground against the former greats.

He wouldn't have had a chance against Lenny McLean :shifty: I don't know if you knew him but he was unbeatable back in his day, used to be a bare knuckle boxer and he never lost a fight to anyone.

He wouldn't have had a chance against Lenny McLean :shifty: I don't know if you knew him but he was unbeatable back in his day, used to be a bare knuckle boxer and he never lost a fight to anyone.

I don't know dude some of the pro boxers would be deadly bare knuckle boxers.

I don't know dude some of the pro boxers would be deadly bare knuckle boxers.

He did legal fights, he wasn't a bare knuckle boxer all the time. Along time ago the mafia in the NY asked him to come over and fight there strongest man they had and he finished him in under 1 minute and he didn't wake up for hours :rofl: but yeah, he was a great fighter. He also did acting and was in The Fifth Element and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

http://www.fightauthority.com/fighters.php4?fighterID=15

Pretty tough hombre but I might have to disagree. Professional boxing is much different from bare-knuckle fighting. Lennox would definitely give the guy a whole lotta respect therefore winning on a twelve round decision or earlier. Depends on what type of shape and training Lenny does as it seems hes not used to long distance fights. In a street fight, Id pick Lenny.

If Lenny didnt pass on, match him up with Tua. That wouldve been a good one.

http://www.fightauthority.com/fighters.php4?fighterID=15

Pretty tough hombre but I might have to disagree. Professional boxing is much different from bare-knuckle fighting. Lennox would definitely give the guy a whole lotta respect therefore winning on a twelve round decision or earlier. Depends on what type of shape and training Lenny does as it seems hes not used to long distance fights. In a street fight, Id pick Lenny.

If Lenny didnt pass on, match him up with Tua. That wouldve been a good one.

You maybe right about the long distance fights, but It would be interesting to see the outcome, I wouldn't rule him out altogether, he was one tough ******. In a street fight, definitely Lenny as you said.

In his prime...

post-91-1076202402.jpg

You maybe right about the long distance fights, but It would be interesting to see the outcome, I wouldn't rule him out altogether, he was one tough ******. In a street fight, definitely Lenny as you said.

In his prime...

wouldnt want to **** him off myself.