Lennox Lewis Retires

never liked him, i was more of mike tyson guy

Tyson was great to watch, good entertainment. Too many what-ifs after he went to prison, never the same person again. He is now a negative role-model and did a bit of harm to the sport, thats my only peeves with the guy which is tremendous really. Considering, Boxing could very well be dying.

BTW, did you hear the rumor that Tyson was negotiating to fight Rickson Gracie for Rickson's retirement fight. Don't know what will come of it but huge money for Japan, which is where it will be staged. Rickson's like 400-0 but don't think he has fought the recent influx of new generation mixed martial art combatants, so Tyson would actually be quite dangerous for Rickson. Not to mention, another rumor has it that, Tyson's been training mixed martial arts for the past few years with a rather well known trainer. Don't remember the trainer's name at the moment.

Tyson was great to watch, good entertainment. Too many what-ifs after he went to prison, never the same person again. He is now a negative role-model and did a bit of harm to the sport, thats my only peeves with the guy which is tremendous really. Considering, Boxing could very well be dying.

BTW, did you hear the rumor that Tyson was negotiating to fight Rickson Gracie for Rickson's retirement fight. Don't know what will come of it but huge money for Japan, which is where it will be staged. Rickson's like 400-0 but don't think he has fought the recent influx of new generation mixed martial art combatants, so Tyson would actually be quite dangerous for Rickson. Not to mention, another rumor has it that, Tyson's been training mixed martial arts for the past few years with a rather well known trainer. Don't remember the trainer's name at the moment.

Rickson? If you mean the mma guy it's Royce Gracie. I heard the rumour that Mike Tyson will fight Bob "the beast" Sapp in a K-1 match. Bob Sapp is 7 feet tall and 350 lbs. It'd be an interesting show thats for sure.

Rickson? If you mean the mma guy it's Royce Gracie. I heard the rumour that Mike Tyson will fight Bob "the beast" Sapp in a K-1 match. Bob Sapp is 7 feet tall and 350 lbs. It'd be an interesting show thats for sure.

Royce retired from the ring awhile ago and not in the same league as Rickson.

http://www.rickson.com/frame_history.html

His innate talent and early mastery of the sport have resulted in an impeccable undefeated record in more than 400 fights, Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, free-style wrestling, Sambo, open weight free-style competitions, and no holds barred challenge matches. Rickson is a two time Brazilian Champion in free-style wrestling, a Gold Medal Winner of Sambo, and for the last sixteen years he has been the middle-heavyweight and no weight division World Jiu-Jitsu Champion.

Bob Sapp and Tyson is a circus act. Undeniably Tyson would destroy him in the first round via KO. Sapp is much too slow and doesnt have a chin "at all".

Bob Sapp and Tyson is a circus act. Undeniably Tyson would destroy him in the first round via KO. Sapp is much too slow and doesnt have a chin "at all".

No chin? Have you actually seen him? He's nuts. You'd need to hit him with a sledge hammer to knock him out. Tyson won't be able to handle the unparellel power of Sapp. Tyson in his prime might have been able to beat Sapp not now.

No chin?  Have you actually seen him?  He's nuts.  You'd need to hit him with a sledge hammer to knock him out.  Tyson won't be able to handle the unparellel power of Sapp.  Tyson in his prime might have been able to beat Sapp not now.

Kimo almost had Sapp out and Kimo sucks. So my answer to both questions would be yes. Ive seen Sapp and he would get knocked out by Tyson. And, I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is on this one for sure. Don't let size fool you. What you should be asking is what style they would be fighting. That would make a difference. They gave the fighters an option of K-1 style, MMA style, and boxing. Sapp gave Tyson the choice, and you would think Tyson would pick boxing, but I believe he chose MMA style. Now if the fight would materialize, I could make me some money even though I can guarantee the odds will be in favor of Iron Mike thus earning me very little return :( but I would still make money :yes:

BTW, I'm surprised you've never heard of Rickson :ninja:

Kimo almost had Sapp out and Kimo sucks. So my answer to both questions would be yes. Ive seen Sapp and he would get knocked out by Tyson. And, I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is on this one for sure. Don't let size fool you. What you should be asking is what style they would be fighting. That would make a difference. They gave the fighters an option of K-1 style, MMA style, and boxing. Sapp gave Tyson the choice, and you would think Tyson would pick boxing, but I believe he chose MMA style. Now if the fight would materialize, I could make me some money even though I can guarantee the odds will be in favor of Iron Mike thus earning me very little return :( but I would still make money :yes:

BTW, I'm surprised you've never heard of Rickson :ninja:

Even if Tyson picked MMA Sapp's style is still ground and pound. It would still be a punch fest thus the significance of the MMA rules would be diminished. I don't believe Tyson can still knock out some of the best in the world. Sapp took some serious shots from Bonjasky in the K-1 GP and proceeded to throw him on his ass and drill him one. He got DQed but still he showed Bonjasky who was boss. I don't think the Tyson/Sapp fight is as predictable as you presume. It's only a matter of time though til they fight.

As for Rickson, I'm not sure. I was reading it and saw some pics. He reminds me a lot of Royce but the name does not ring a bell. Any relation between the two?

The only heavyweights that I can see being good are James 'Lights Out' Tony and maybe Chris Byrd. I don't take the Klitschko brothers being that good, since I think Lewis sucked. We never mentioned Hasim Rahman, Lewis got CLOCKED by him. That over-hand blew him away, that was a god-damn shame. Lewis was more absorbed with his movie or whatever he was doing to train. The great ones don't under estimate, they prepare for everyone. Tyson losing to Douglas was not lack of preperation, Robin Givens was to blame. I have seen that fight many times, you can tell Mike wasn't all there. I hope Tyson just retires, that way I can watch Oscar beat up Trinidad and dismember Mosley. Plus, we should all know Roy Jones Jr. is one of the best ever, his talent is unimaginable. He was simply born to box.

Even if Tyson picked MMA Sapp's style is still ground and pound. It would still be a punch fest thus the significance of the MMA rules would be diminished. I don't believe Tyson can still knock out some of the best in the world. Sapp took some serious shots from Bonjasky in the K-1 GP and proceeded to throw him on his ass and drill him one. He got DQed but still he showed Bonjasky who was boss. I don't think the Tyson/Sapp fight is as predictable as you presume. It's only a matter of time though til they fight.

As for Rickson, I'm not sure. I was reading it and saw some pics. He reminds me a lot of Royce but the name does not ring a bell. Any relation between the two?

You have much confidence buying into Sapp but thats cool. We shall see. Sapp is a big man and the flavor of the moment but really, he cant compete with the real competition and thats why he hasnt been thrown in tough.

Rickson and Royce are brothers.

The only heavyweights that I can see being good are James 'Lights Out' Tony and maybe Chris Byrd. I don't take the Klitschko brothers being that good, since I think Lewis sucked. We never mentioned Hasim Rahman, Lewis got CLOCKED by him. That over-hand blew him away, that was a god-damn shame. Lewis was more absorbed with his movie or whatever he was doing to train. The great ones don't under estimate, they prepare for everyone. Tyson losing to Douglas was not lack of preperation, Robin Givens was to blame. I have seen that fight many times, you can tell Mike wasn't all there. I hope Tyson just retires, that way I can watch Oscar beat up Trinidad and dismember Mosley. Plus, we should all know Roy Jones Jr. is one of the best ever, his talent is unimaginable. He was simply born to box.

Toney is something else I tell you. Had a big smile on my face watching him fade Holyfield. I really would have liked to see him fight Jameel, its a shame he got injured. One of the slickest defense fighters of all time to be honest.

DLH is one of my faves though I dont think he can "dominate" neither Trinidad nor Mosley. He did beat Trinidad in their first fight and he did beat Mosley in their second fight. They all seem to be headed on a collision course with Hopkins and Hopkins got them all beat. Way too slick, way too crafty. Would love to see a DLH vs. Hopkins fight though DLH has absolutely no chance. Unless Hopkins gets old overnight.

Trinidad is supposedly coming out of retirement and fighting either Mosley, DLH, or Hopkins. Any of those matchups is worth a PPV buy from yours truly.

Rickson and Royce are brothers.

Ok I know who you mean there's just so many damn Gracie's. :laugh: :p

@ Toxikk: Why would Lewis be afraid? He was out of shape for the match and still won. There's no credit in being close in the end Lewis won case closed. :p

@ Toxikk: Why would Lewis be afraid? He was out of shape for the match and still won. There's no credit in being close in the end Lewis won case closed. :p

I agree, Lewis is not afraid. He has been quite comfortable as of late doing absolutely nothing and enjoying a pretty successful era in boxing. I think he actually started his retirement before he fought Vitali which, in the eyes of his fans, is quite improper. The good ones always show up for a fight in top shape. Good for Lewis though, sit back and relax with the wealth he collected. Sure wish I could do the same. I don't think he will be back unless its a push over fight against Tyson.

I think all in all the reason why Lennox Lewis does not get the respect he truly does deserve is quite frankly he was boring to watch because he was so good.

Lewis actually knows the art of boxing, and he did just that, he boxed. He was not flamboyant (although his after fight talks with Larry Merchant were amusing for the fact he was so egotistical), and he just went into the ring and did what most boxers do not do nowadays, he out-boxed his opponents with little or no flare. This makes for a very boring heavy weight champion and leads to the reason why the likes of Tyson was such a good heavyweight champ in the public eye. When Tyson fought (and I refer to him in his prime the last 7 years do not count to me) you knew he was going to knock someone's head off and / or it was going to be an exciting fight. With Lewis you knew more or less that who was going to win, but you also knew it was more or less not going to be an exiting fight. Hence the public descredits him simply for the fact he was not entertaining.

When I first heard of his decision I though to myself what a punk, he is dodging Klitchsko, but after having a few days to think about it I think if he truly does stay retired I give him nothing but respect... because 20 years from now he will still be able to talk and hold a conversation, which that truly does make him a champion in his own right as the same cannot be said for most boxers period. So more power to him if he has decided his health, well being, and keeping his brain are more important than fighting a couple of more fights to prove what he already has anyway.

I think all in all the reason why Lennox Lewis does not get the respect he truly does deserve is quite frankly he was boring to watch because he was so good.

Lewis actually knows the art of boxing, and he did just that, he boxed. He was not flamboyant (although his after fight talks with Larry Merchant were amusing for the fact he was so egotistical), and he just went into the ring and did what most boxers do not do nowadays, he out-boxed his opponents with little or no flare. This makes for a very boring heavy weight champion and leads to the reason why the likes of Tyson was such a good heavyweight champ in the public eye. When Tyson fought (and I refer to him in his prime the last 7 years do not count to me) you knew he was going to knock someone's head off and / or it was going to be an exciting fight. With Lewis you knew more or less that who was going to win, but you also knew it was more or less not going to be an exiting fight. Hence the public descredits him simply for the fact he was not entertaining.

When I first heard of his decision I though to myself what a punk, he is dodging Klitchsko, but after having a few days to think about it I think if he truly does stay retired I give him nothing but respect... because 20 years from now he will still be able to talk and hold a conversation, which that truly does make him a champion in his own right as the same cannot be said for most boxers period. So more power to him if he has decided his health, well being, and keeping his brain are more important than fighting a couple of more fights to prove what he already has anyway.

Good response. I believe another reason why his fights were boring is that he gave alot of opponents too much respect and was very comfortable in winning those 12 round decisions. After his last fight with Vitali, it sure looked time to retire and I agree, with most of his marbles. In my mind, there is no doubt, he would've beat Vitali with ease the second time around. All the guys that gave him trouble in their first fights (because he slacked off), got beat the next time around.

A quick quote from Jack Dunne who is now writing articles for RingTalk. One my favorite sites with some of the better boxing scribes.

LEWIS AND HIS RETIREMENT TO BOXING FANS

And with that quote the end to a Hall of Fame career came to fruition on Friday February 6th 2004. Whether you liked him or loathed him, appreciate the fact that you saw him because fighters like Lennox Lewis come along only once every blue moon. With all the negative press geared towards boxing today, much of it well deserved, Lennox Lewis was one of the people whom you never had to worry about. Fitting enough that he should retire as someone you needn?t worry about in the future.

THE REALITY OF BEING WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

Fair or not, the facts are and always have been that the actions and behavior of the World Heavyweight Champion has always had a broad stroking effect upon the mainstream reputation of the sport of boxing as a whole. After all, the heavyweight champ is the most visible man of all. It?s just the way it works.

LEWIS NEVER DUMPED ON THE TITLE OR FANS!

Looking over the past 15 years, the example set has been anything but pretty. The phrase "Heavyweight champion" has been attached to events ranging from harmless absurdities such as Riddick Bowe joining the United States Marine Corps only to be thrown out before completing boot camp, to extremely disturbing events, up to and including violent Felonies. And on the night when boxing had its largest viewing audience ever, a former heavyweight champion reduced himself to animal standards, biting off a section of a fellow human being?s ear then spitting it to the ground. The collective damage the sport of boxing has suffered at the hands of its most prominent figurehead has been devastating. Then there was Lewis, thank God!

TRUE TO HIMSELF & HONORED FREQUENTLY

In comparison Lewis was a man guilty of essentially nothing. In fact Lewis was and is an excellent role model. While living in Canada, Lewis represented his country in the 1988 Olympic Games, winning a Gold medal. Later in life Lewis was awarded the highest honor a citizen of the United Kingdom could obtain becoming a Member of British Empire in 1998. Just outside of Forrest Gate, there is a school for children having special needs, built by and currently funded by the future Hall of Famer Lewis. In 1999 Lennox became the first undisputed World heavyweight champion from England since Bob Fitzsimmons more than a century ago. And from that day forward, Lennox Lewis represented the sport of boxing with as much honor and dignity as one could have wished for.

TIMING WAS PERFECT IN MINDS OF MOST

And when his time came, Lewis thwarted one of larger complaints boxing fans have ?Why is this guy still in the ring?? by retiring while still on top. Or as Lennox himself stated "I am particularly pleased to be stepping down while still the reigning lineal heavyweight champion. Only two other men, Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano, have retired as champion and stayed retired. I promise you, I will be the third."? Actually Lewis has done that and more, he has beaten every man he has ever faced and that is a claim only a precious few can make, an achievement so rare, Muhammad Ali himself couldn?t do it.

LENNOX MOWED THEM ALL OVER!

In the 70?s it was Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Norton. The cornerstones of Lewis? era included himself along with Tyson, Bowe and Holyfield. Simply put, Lewis bested em? all, bested em? inside the ring, Bowe in the Olympics and bested em? all outside of the ring. The new era has begun, who will reign as the next heavyweight champion has yet to be determined. The only thing we know for sure is that they are going to have incredibly large shoes to fill. Lets hope they continue in the tradition of the Lewis rein.

A quick quote from Jack Dunne who is now writing articles for RingTalk. One my favorite sites with some of the better boxing scribes.

Thanks for that link. Perfect way to summarize the discussion on Lewis. (Y)

For those of you who do not like Lewis, heres another view from the negative side.

Lewis Retires Without Fulfilling Promise Or Fans

The heavyweight champion of the world retired, and the world responded with a big yawn.

Don't blame boxing, a sport that has enough problems as it is.

Blame Lennox Lewis, who wanted fans to embrace him but never gave them a chance.

...snip

He was often overly cautious in the ring, never more evident than when Oliver McCall began crying in front of him in the ring and Lewis, suspecting a trick, didn't go after him. He was also knocked out twice by single punches to the head by McCall and Hasim Rahman.

Even his two biggest wins were somewhat suspect, with Mike Tyson a shell of his former self and Evander Holyfield past his prime.

But it's what Lewis did - or failed to do - outside the ring that will always tarnish his reign.

Heavyweight champions are supposed to be larger than life, and at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, Lewis was larger than most. But he never seemed to embrace the sport that made him rich, or the fans who wanted to cheer him on.

Lewis rarely ventured out between fights and when he was seen in public he was usually hidden behind dark shades, underneath dreadlocks and a cap. To many, he was perceived as aloof, even arrogant.

Lewis was largely unloved, to the point that he was booed loudly when he won his last fight against Klitschko.

I may not like him but I find a good portion of the article quite tasteless. Read the whole thing, but just from the quote I posted you can see where its going.