Comcast data cap issues

12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Then no, it seems pretty unlikely that you have used this much.  Unless someone is streaming 24/7, I don’t see how you are getting this usage 10 days in. Also, I wouldn’t assume a non-compromised network or machine. 

Sure but we are only 10 days in. 

Oh yes, yeah something is definitely amiss then. I must have skimmed past the 90% usage already email on first read.

Anyone know how much data Spotify uses? That is the only other thing that I have that might be using allot of data.

I would call them up and ask wtf is going on. They should have information where this is coming from.

They could be spamming you for more money, too... You sure that this isn't from last month? Or when you last payed?

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

I would call them up and ask wtf is going on. They should have information where this is coming from.

They could be spamming you for more money, too... You sure that this isn't from last month? Or when you last payed?

AFIK, the data cap is from the 1st to the last day of the month, not billing cycle, I am in communication with them via Twitter, awaiting their response. They first told me to install the Xfinity app on my cell phone, but that will not work since we own the equipment.

33 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Anyone know how much data Spotify uses? That is the only other thing that I have that might be using allot of data.

All of these things are relative to how often they're being used and what the Steaming quality is set at. However I can't imagine Spotify being the main cause of data usage.

There isn't someone else with WiFi access, a friend or other family member who brings their device over is there.

Won't help you with the mobile devices, but if you have any Windows 10 devices, you could go into Settings>Network & Internet>Data Usage and clicking on the affected network to rule those out.

6 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

All of these things are relative to how often they're being used and what the Steaming quality is set at. However I can't imagine Spotify being the main cause of data usage.

There isn't someone else with WiFi access, a friend or other family member who brings their device over is there.

Won't help you with the mobile devices, but if you have any Windows 10 devices, you could go into Settings>Network & Internet>Data Usage and clicking on the affected network to rule those out.

Oddly enough that is exactly what Comcast said, the WiFi network is very well protected, and on top of that, there is nobody around here that would hijack the WiFi (we live in a mobile home park, and know our neighbors) plus we can check through the router to see what devices are connected.

51 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Sure but we are only 10 days in

So 142hrs is less than 6 days... What is more likely they miscalculated - but its not out of realm of possibility that you did use it... This is why you should have some local way to monitor your own usage vs just trusting the isp ;)

Say you have a stream player, and were watching some multiseason show in UHD, and it just kept playing the next episode in the background because you just shut of the TV.. I have seen netflix go through a whole season of episodes... There should be hey have had a remote press in hours.. But in theory its possible for it to sure burn through your data without you actually watching anything that you are aware of.. 1TB of data is not very much in this day and age of UHD streaming and huge games for your console that could be 100s of GBs..

22 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So 142hrs is less than 6 days... What is more likely they miscalculated - but its not out of realm of possibility that you did use it... This is why you should have some local way to monitor your own usage vs just trusting the isp ;)

Say you have a stream player, and were watching some multiseason show in UHD, and it just kept playing the next episode in the background because you just shut of the TV.. I have seen netflix go through a whole season of episodes... There should be hey have had a remote press in hours.. But in theory its possible for it to sure burn through your data without you actually watching anything that you are aware of.. 1TB of data is not very much in this day and age of UHD streaming and huge games for your console that could be 100s of GBs..

I understand that. But we do not do any UHD streaming, and the streaming that we do is via the computer, we have no TV's or consoles in the house. Is there a method for tracking overall network usage? Obviously Comcast much just track the data from the modem, is there any method (besides the method @warwagon shared)?

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

I understand that. But we do not do any UHD streaming, and the streaming that we do is via the computer, we have no TV's or consoles in the house.

then yeah if you are only doing 1080p or below then I see no way you would have hit your cap so quickly. something isn't right.

So @comcastcares on Twitter provided me a phone number to call regarding this issue, and I have made a report with them, and they will investigate and get back to me within the week.

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Just curious...what is speed is your data plan?

300 down, and I can not find the up speed

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

300 down, and I can not find the up speed

Thanks. Was just curious if you were even at a speed tier capable of such activity. 

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So @comcastcares on Twitter provided me a phone number to call regarding this issue, and I have made a report with them, and they will investigate and get back to me within the week.

Yeah, could easily be a mis-configuration. These things happen...

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I understand that. But we do not do any UHD streaming, and the streaming that we do is via the computer, we have no TV's or consoles in the house. Is there a method for tracking overall network usage? Obviously Comcast much just track the data from the modem, is there any method (besides the method @warwagon shared)?

Again, are the 3 desktops running Windows 10? If they are you can at least find out what's going on with those by going into Settings>Network & Internet>Data Usage

Just now, Vince800 said:

Again, are the 3 desktops running Windows 10? If they are you can at least find out what's going on with those by going into Settings>Network & Internet>Data Usage

I do not see that option.

settings.thumb.PNG.a65fc974aae934a092aa6a7216ed50a3.PNG

4 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

Menu on the left hand side second from the bottom.

Thanks! I do not know how I missed that! Question about that, when I go to app breakdown, it shows me that my outdoor camera has used almost 30GB of data in the last 30 days, is this internet or intranet traffic that it is showing or both?

16 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks! I do not know how I missed that! Question about that, when I go to app breakdown, it shows me that my outdoor camera has used almost 30GB of data in the last 30 days, is this internet or intranet traffic that it is showing or both?

It shows you all traffic on the interface so presumably that would just be LAN traffic. You're talking about a CCTV camera?

1 minute ago, Vince800 said:

It shows you all traffic on the interface so presumably that would just be LAN traffic. You're talking about a CCTV camera?

Yes

4 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

AFIK, the data cap is from the 1st to the last day of the month, not billing cycle, I am in communication with them via Twitter, awaiting their response. They first told me to install the Xfinity app on my cell phone, but that will not work since we own the equipment.

the xfinity app doesnt mater if you own the equipment or not it will show you your usage and allow you to restart the modem... only thing that the xfinity app can do with their gateway that an owned modem can't is monitor wifi usage and control who is on your AP

7 minutes ago, neufuse said:

the xfinity app doesnt mater if you own the equipment or not it will show you your usage and allow you to restart the modem... only thing that the xfinity app can do with their gateway that an owned modem can't is monitor wifi usage and control who is on your AP

It told me when I opened it that I needed to upgrade my equipment, and the comcastcares rep also confirmed that it would not work without their equipment.

12 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

It told me when I opened it that I needed to upgrade my equipment, and the comcastcares rep also confirmed that it would not work without their equipment.

that's not right, I use it myself and I have my own equipment that I own, the only thing you can't do is WIFI stuff on it if you own equipment