Comcast data cap issues

4 minutes ago, Jim K said:

That is odd ... unless they "turned off" the counter when they lifted the data cap. /shrug

I had not thought about that possibility, but they turned off the cap ~2 or 3 weeks ago,

7 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I had not thought about that possibility, but they turned off the cap ~2 or 3 weeks ago,

Well...that could explain it then. You had used up to 219GB, then they stopped counting .... 

Pure speculation (grasping at straws) on my part....

23 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Well...that could explain it then. You had used up to 219GB, then they stopped counting .... 

Pure speculation (grasping at straws) on my part....

Yeah, I understand, and Xfinity will never admit wrong doing, so we are just stuck speculating.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a hold of the Xfinity Data Security department, and explained that there was no way that we could've used more then 1 TB of data in January and February as they are claiming. I told the poor soul on the end of the line that we do not have TV's, we do not have game consoles, and we stream in standard HD, of course this does not sit well with them, and when I mentioned that we own both the router and modem, and that there is no way anyone could be using our network without our knowledge, I was placed on hold while the poor soul looked up additional troubleshooting guides, when she came back on the line I asked her exactly how does Comcast monitor the amount of data being used each month. She puts me back on hold then comes back and says that "They (comcast/xfinity) can not see the amount of data being used, because the modem being used is not one of there's"  So my next logical question was if you can't see the amount of data being used, how can I be over in January and February? The response was a classic by the book reply, which was you need to contact the manufacturer of your modem device and ask them why you are using so much data...  then offered to transfer me to billing to have them look into the issue, but after I told her that billing is the one who sent me to their department and would likely do so again, she quickly ended the call.

So the question: If what she said is the case, what should I do next if this issue persists?

I dealt with this in November and December. I lost my two "courtesy" overages. When I called they couldn't tell me where the traffic was doing, to which I asked then how are they allowed to tell me I used it? Still never got an answer. Ridiculous.

They can track your usage even without "their" modem. They own their Internet. (I hope)

They just have to go by the book, and you won't get an answer. Unless you sue them, or something... lol

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

They can track your usage even without "their" modem. They own their Internet. (I hope)

They just have to go by the book, and you won't get an answer. Unless you sue them, or something... lol

I'm sure of that, but I have the admission that they can't track the data, sounds to me like an infinite logic loop.

not sure what idiot you talked to - but they sure and the F can see your modem, ###### they load their firmware on it.. how do you think they do the car for your subscribed bandwidth..

For example here is website for netgear modems that list the version of firmware that the ISP has approved, etc. etc..

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-modem-router

"NETGEAR provides your ISP with the latest firmware and your ISP updates your firmware.'

• Like 1

Comcast is literally the worst ISP. In both terms of support and general service.

I work for a company that troubleshoots credit card equipment and we're almost constantly dealing with comcast outages that cause the equipment to be unable to process properly. Whether it's their DNS servers that go down or something else, it's always something with comcast. And this is all over the country...

/end slightly off topic rant

5 hours ago, BudMan said:

not sure what idiot you talked to - but they sure and the F can see your modem, ###### they load their firmware on it.. how do you think they do the car for your subscribed bandwidth..

For example here is website for netgear modems that list the version of firmware that the ISP has approved, etc. etc..

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-modem-router

"NETGEAR provides your ISP with the latest firmware and your ISP updates your firmware.'

Trust me, I was asking the same question about the idiot I had to talk to, she was literately reading off of a script, I could here the keyboard clicking, then she would start saying something again. @Brandon H I agree 100%! They are a horrible company, and unfortunately, with the exception of satellite, Comcast is the only choice for me here. 

2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Trust me, I was asking the same question about the idiot I had to talk to, she was literately reading off of a script, I could here the keyboard clicking, then she would start saying something again. @Brandon H I agree 100%! They are a horrible company, and unfortunately, with the exception of satellite, Comcast is the only choice for me here. 

This will probably go nowhere, but can you file a complaint with the BBB?

12 minutes ago, primortal said:

This will probably go nowhere, but can you file a complaint with the BBB?

I'm sure I can, but I don't see it doing any good. Everyone already knows how bad they are, and that in some situations, the only choice for internet.

Who's the satellite provider?

Any LTE broadband providers available in your area? I've had a couple friends who had Verizon LTE broadband for a while and it treated them fairly well.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

Who's the satellite provider?

Any LTE broadband providers available in your area? I've had a couple friends who had Verizon LTE broadband for a while and it treated them fairly well.

The only satellite provider I know of is HughesNet ,as far as LTE providers, I am not sure, we used to have a company that did wireless, but they were bough out years ago.

So, Comcast reached out to me via Twitter after I tagged them with the same question I asked here, and they tried to downplay it as "During this time, we have suspended the data cap due to the Covid-19" that must have been what the person meant...

11 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

So.. Where does this end?

Good question. I am thinking about filing a FCC complaint, BBB is not going to do anything, but the FCC can (most likely is) investigate this issue.