Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro question

Anyone from the US bought this phone? I saw it in amazon, have a very good low price and great reviews. Fit my budget... I am with AT&T network.

While it will work it may not give you the best signal quality depending on what frequency AT&T uses in your area.

It only supports 3 of the 9 LTE bands on AT&T

AT&T LTE Bands:

2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 66

Phone Supported LTE Bands:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40

This is why I tend to stay away from global/international variants of phones; they're more meant for use all across the European area. The US has unique frequencies that not many other countries make use of so they don't cover much for it.

8 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

While it will work it may not give you the best signal quality depending on what frequency AT&T uses in your area.

It only supports 3 of the 9 LTE bands on AT&T

AT&T LTE Bands:

2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 66

Phone Supported LTE Bands:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40

This is why I tend to stay away from global/international variants of phones; they're more meant for use all across the European area. The US has unique frequencies that not many other countries make use of so they don't cover much for it.

LTE is awesome and to be honest with you is not a deal killer to me... I am fine even with 3G connectivity. I don't usually gaming or play video on the phone.... I am more just checking emails, linkedin, twitter and reading the news. I do watch sometimes videos in twitter.

7 minutes ago, macoman said:

LTE is awesome and to be honest with you is not a deal killer to me... I am fine even with 3G connectivity. I don't usually gaming or play video on the phone.... I am more just checking emails, linkedin, twitter and reading the news. I do watch sometimes videos in twitter.

3G is starting to get shutdown this year and will be completely shutdown by 2022 so it's more of a deal breaker than you might think.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-plans-to-shutdown-its-3g-network-in-2022/

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

3G is being shutdown to make more room for 4G/5G towers and so the frequencies can be reused for those purposes.

So unless you know for sure you won't be keeping this phone for more than 2 years and will be upgrading again I wouldn't chance it personally.

3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

3G is starting to get shutdown this year and will be completely shutdown by 2022 so it's more of a deal breaker than you might think.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-plans-to-shutdown-its-3g-network-in-2022/

3G is being shutdown to make more room for 4G/5G towers and so the frequencies can be reused for those purposes.

Interesting, didn't know that information... thanks for that. Wow, wondering why they are killing it when a lot of people still have phones from years ago that are not even compatible with 4G.

1 minute ago, macoman said:

Interesting, didn't know that information... thanks for that. Wow, wondering why they are killing it when a lot of people still have phones from years ago that are not even compatible with 4G.

for that very reason in my last sentence.

They want to be able to extend coverage without having to build even more towers. the existing 3G towers will be re-purposed to more 4G/LTE and some 5G

That and the usual carrier BS that they want people to buy new devices to further lock in contracts and whatnot.

be glad the AT&T has pushed their 3G support to 2022. Verizon and a couple other carriers shut theirs down at the end of last year already.

edit: actually Verizon delayed their shutdown till the end of this year but still https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/3g-hspa/verizon-delays-3g-network-shutdown/d/d-id/753147