• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What happen to Neowin last night

Recommended Posts

Zero.Freedom    0

Last night when I click on a article to read about Corona-virus and how Google and Microsoft helps individual work remotely it sending me to a site that sending me a warming signal about my Windows 10 computer has virus and my windows is damaged so what happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,780

sounds like a rouge ad redirected you or you could have a bad extension installed that it presenting you with redirect ads

 

we don't allow redirect ads from our provider so if one slipped through from our end I apologize

 

let us know if it starts happening again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,757
28 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

sounds like a rouge ad redirected you or you could have a bad extension installed that it presenting you with redirect ads

 

we don't allow redirect ads from our provider so if one slipped through from our end I apologize

 

let us know if it starts happening again

I wold be more concerned about rogue ads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958    1,992
5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I wold be more concerned about rogue ads. 

Rogue ad or bad extension would concern me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,757
3 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Rogue ad or bad extension would concern me!

 

39 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

sounds like a rouge

😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,780
12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I wold be more concerned about rogue ads. 

lol I never claimed to be good at spelling :p spell check has let me down

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,757
Just now, Brandon H said:

lol I never claimed to be good at spelling :p spell check has let me down

Nah, you spelled rouge correctly. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,780
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Nah, you spelled rouge correctly. 😁

well rogue ads are quite the rouge if you ask me :rofl:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zero.Freedom    0

I have no extension installed for I am using the new Microsoft Edge browser and reading websites is most thing I do so I do not installed much of extension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waysidesc    777
2 hours ago, Zero.Freedom said:

I have no extension installed for I am using the new Microsoft Edge browser and reading websites is most thing I do so I do not installed much of extension. 

what level of tracking protection do you have enabled ( if any ) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zero.Freedom    0
6 hours ago, waysidesc said:

what level of tracking protection do you have enabled ( if any ) ?

My tracking protection level is balanced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waysidesc    777
1 hour ago, Zero.Freedom said:

My tracking protection level is balanced. 

was it balanced when the redirect occurred?

 

have you tried using Strict?

 

i would either use Strict ... or use an adblocker ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zhangm    1,390

Seems like there may be a rogue ad on rotation. I've gotten it twice now on different days, but it redirects to a new page so there's nothing to click on - and if you go back to the page where it got served, other ads are displayed, so I haven't been able to nail down which element is responsible.

 

I'm going around hitting FPN articles with the dev console open and logging network activity to try and identify what it's coming from.

 

The URL that I got bumped to is:

 

http://ldasd.website/ln/bV5Yz3KFwhTD1xkrks95tfMovJYEoci2_NQ0jWAuuwvrMl_fh51kRRhd5KlIO2TM5du7T4iZan0rMpa1D1D6pNecxulflALr.WlhJyq9ozl5THg4wpGBNzyCstL0BArGkFVaEwvBTygdV5gmHWEd03.7qLLBDeMRMcD.jiYHRjS3DY_Eu35SOc43nxeihmnBfHSAyACOWFvHcRn_m4H8Kv_tgAhF1lnAl4uODAcZOSIW1yUNiEsse7Lp7v69qppm6CYA7Q4T.nL9A65Yjv58UmZ8ujMTQMo9ks3uqAeq.n5ghjjP5ImxY8gbQbZII1pnPk5ACsEd8c_J6VSjiwR85QIgn3pQF8iZ53dlHTPeBghQjIghJbV1yMXXhyozuTWn9Z2qeXyRm5Al0uJKji0m_5sCrSwoFvIXum9M_70NS0HVjhGO3d9pSwtoko28.Hiz

Looks like the page may be dynamically generated to make it harder to trace where it is coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat    1,545
Quote

 

Seems like I've had some weirdness for the last week.  I thought it'd been caught already though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LakeRat    63

I was having the same problem with redirects over the last week. It only occurred in the evening (US).

 

I'm running Windows 10 with Edge Chromium as the browser. No extensions installed.

 

Moving tracking prevention to strict solved the problem for me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,780
10 hours ago, zhangm said:

Seems like there may be a rogue ad on rotation. I've gotten it twice now on different days, but it redirects to a new page so there's nothing to click on - and if you go back to the page where it got served, other ads are displayed, so I haven't been able to nail down which element is responsible.

 

I'm going around hitting FPN articles with the dev console open and logging network activity to try and identify what it's coming from.

 

The URL that I got bumped to is:

 


http://ldasd.website/ln/bV5Yz3KFwhTD1xkrks95tfMovJYEoci2_NQ0jWAuuwvrMl_fh51kRRhd5KlIO2TM5du7T4iZan0rMpa1D1D6pNecxulflALr.WlhJyq9ozl5THg4wpGBNzyCstL0BArGkFVaEwvBTygdV5gmHWEd03.7qLLBDeMRMcD.jiYHRjS3DY_Eu35SOc43nxeihmnBfHSAyACOWFvHcRn_m4H8Kv_tgAhF1lnAl4uODAcZOSIW1yUNiEsse7Lp7v69qppm6CYA7Q4T.nL9A65Yjv58UmZ8ujMTQMo9ks3uqAeq.n5ghjjP5ImxY8gbQbZII1pnPk5ACsEd8c_J6VSjiwR85QIgn3pQF8iZ53dlHTPeBghQjIghJbV1yMXXhyozuTWn9Z2qeXyRm5Al0uJKji0m_5sCrSwoFvIXum9M_70NS0HVjhGO3d9pSwtoko28.Hiz

Looks like the page may be dynamically generated to make it harder to trace where it is coming from.

@Steven P. I know it's not much information yet, but could we have our ad partners investigate this now that multiple people are experiencing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,215
10 hours ago, zhangm said:

Seems like there may be a rogue ad on rotation. I've gotten it twice now on different days, but it redirects to a new page so there's nothing to click on - and if you go back to the page where it got served, other ads are displayed, so I haven't been able to nail down which element is responsible.

 

I'm going around hitting FPN articles with the dev console open and logging network activity to try and identify what it's coming from.

 

The URL that I got bumped to is:

 


http://ldasd.website/ln/bV5Yz3KFwhTD1xkrks95tfMovJYEoci2_NQ0jWAuuwvrMl_fh51kRRhd5KlIO2TM5du7T4iZan0rMpa1D1D6pNecxulflALr.WlhJyq9ozl5THg4wpGBNzyCstL0BArGkFVaEwvBTygdV5gmHWEd03.7qLLBDeMRMcD.jiYHRjS3DY_Eu35SOc43nxeihmnBfHSAyACOWFvHcRn_m4H8Kv_tgAhF1lnAl4uODAcZOSIW1yUNiEsse7Lp7v69qppm6CYA7Q4T.nL9A65Yjv58UmZ8ujMTQMo9ks3uqAeq.n5ghjjP5ImxY8gbQbZII1pnPk5ACsEd8c_J6VSjiwR85QIgn3pQF8iZ53dlHTPeBghQjIghJbV1yMXXhyozuTWn9Z2qeXyRm5Al0uJKji0m_5sCrSwoFvIXum9M_70NS0HVjhGO3d9pSwtoko28.Hiz

Looks like the page may be dynamically generated to make it harder to trace where it is coming from.

I will report this to our advertiser, hopefully they can track it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,215

This is now happening to me as well, I managed to find an extension that blocks the redirects https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/skip-redirect/jaoafjdoijdconemdmodhbfpianehlon/related?hl=en

 

But also ensure you have your browser setup correctly >> https://www.wikihow.com/Block-Page-Redirects << 

 

You can whitelist sites to allow safe redirect (if needed) as and when they are detected and blocked.

 

I have reported it and again asked them to concentrate on a way to not allow ads with any sort of redirect code in them, why that is so hard to do I do not know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H    3,780
23 hours ago, Steven P. said:

This is now happening to me as well, I managed to find an extension that blocks the redirects https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/skip-redirect/jaoafjdoijdconemdmodhbfpianehlon/related?hl=en

 

But also ensure you have your browser setup correctly >> https://www.wikihow.com/Block-Page-Redirects << 

 

You can whitelist sites to allow safe redirect (if needed) as and when they are detected and blocked.

 

I have reported it and again asked them to concentrate on a way to not allow ads with any sort of redirect code in them, why that is so hard to do I do not know.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're hiding the redirect code behind remote code execution scripts; which also shouldn't be allowed or be highly scrutinized before being accepted ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.