Android or iPhone?


Android or iPhone?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

+jnelsoninjax

I am curious about what you prefer for your phone OS. If you could answer the question, and then give me a little bit of a reason that you like it, I would appreciate it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne

iPhone.

 

Reliable software support.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck

Android....more vendor options so you can pick a device form/function/price that best suits you.  Can root and apply your own custom ROM to add features or improve function.  Basically have more freedom over your devices with Android.  Androids also tend to have more features missing from iPhones from the start.  Apple tends to release new features slowly each model to entice people to upgrade every year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
NJ Louch

Oh look, here we go again.  I'm sure this has been asked 1001 times here before...

 

iPhone.  I prefer the OS, I like the intuitive workflows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958

Android simply because I'm a cheapskate and Iphones are priced WAY to high. Cell phone is something I probably wouldn't consider buying some one else's used crap, so that rules out a cheaper, used Iphone. Don't use phone for much other than texting and calling anyway, so don't really even care about features.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H

Until a few weeks ago I would have said Android. I finally moved over to an iPhone and have been quite happy with it so far.

 

I got tired of various issues on Android such as constant slowdown on devices; slow or rare updates from OEMs; and general instability of the OS and apps. There was a time that Android was a better OS than iOS but that time has passed. Android seems to be moving backwards in terms of stability with each major release. iOS has caught up in regards to features and now has some features that Android doesn't even have natively. And what few features Android still has that iOS doesn't Apple seems to be slowing deciding to add in. Like I hear true widgets may be added in iOS 14.

 

Lack of long term support from OEMs is the other reason I decided to switch; unless your phone is a flagship you're lucky to get 2 years of support, even most flagships maybe get 3 and a half years of consistent support. iOS on average gets 5 years of support for each device AND things don't tend to slow down that badly near the end of that support while still getting newer iOS versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
4 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Android simply because I'm a cheapskate and Iphones are priced WAY to high. Cell phone is something I probably wouldn't consider buying some one else's used crap, so that rules out a cheaper, used Iphone. Don't use phone for much other than texting and calling anyway, so don't really even care about features.

got my iPhone XR from Amazon's referb program for under $300 after using a few gift cards from work lol

 

Amazon has a quality referb program; my phone looks brand new, the only telling factor that it's used is the battery capacity and even that's still at 98% of original capacity.

 

edit: even came with a plexiglass screen protector already applied which surprised me 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
+LostCat

I'm currently switching between droid 10 on a Oneplus 6T and an iphone XR.

 

Android has a better hotspot at the moment, you can use apps from outside Google Play if you must, and Android Auto is much better.

 

iPhone has a much more consistent experience and I'd prefer it if the hotspot functionality was fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+InsaneNutter

Android as I can choose a device that best suits my requirements and budget. The device I purchased would however have to have official LineageOS support, as I take for granted all the little tweaks / features that has over stock Android.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958
17 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

got my iPhone XR from Amazon's referb program for under $300 after using a few gift cards from work lol

 

Amazon has a quality referb program; my phone looks brand new, the only telling factor that it's used is the battery capacity and even that's still at 98% of original capacity.

 

edit: even came with a plexiglass screen protector already applied which surprised me 🙂

$300 is a good price for an Iphone, and I have even looked over some of those, but there's no way in the world I'm spending that much for a phone! Like I said, I'm a cheapskate and half!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme

My choice is iPhone.  I appreciate day 1 updates and many years of support.  Apps tend to be more polished and the performance of the hardware is always great.

I really dislike the bloat of most Android phones and have no desire to root the device to get faster updates and less bloat.  I'm a minimalist, so for me, less is more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
33 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

$300 is a good price for an Iphone, and I have even looked over some of those, but there's no way in the world I'm spending that much for a phone! Like I said, I'm a cheapskate and half!!

Oh trust me I'm the same way. I'm on a no-contract carrier (Metro by T-Mobile currently) so I don't get subsidization options anyway so I'd be paying that for any decent Android phone too 🙂

 

Back when iPhones were vastly more expensive than Androids it was a no brainer; but while iPhone prices have stayed relatively the same over the years, Android prices just keep going up ... especially with the flagships

 

edit: the only thing I really miss from Android is the customizable home screen (had a W10M home screen on my previous phone) and alphabetical app drawer but that's a minor inconvenience at most

Link to post
Share on other sites
RottGutt

iPhone 110%

 

Really, there is no comparison whatsoever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon

While, I'm more of an android person at heart and really can't stand how iOS restricts the way it does some stuff in the OS. I do respect iOS in terms of security updates, OS updates and long term support.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Biscuits Brown

Android. More device options, no walled garden and I can write my own software, build it and deploy it for my own use without having to get a developer license and a Mac to do the compile on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K

I've been Android since I've own a smart phone (Blackberry excluded).  Though, I'm thinking about moving to an iPhone for my next phone (whenever my S7 dies).  Not so much that I want to be in the Apple ecosystem ... but because they support their phones for a long time (the 6 -- almost 7 year old iPhone 5S just received a security update).  My LG G2, released the same time as the iPhone 5S, has long since been retired because it was no longer supported.  I'm not sure if my S7 is going to receive any more updates.

 

tl;dr - Yea, I'll probably jump to an iPhone on my next purchase.  With the cost of phones...I want something that will be supported (security updates) for more than 2-3 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958
37 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Oh trust me I'm the same way. I'm on a no-contract carrier (Metro by T-Mobile currently) so I don't get subsidization options anyway so I'd be paying that for any decent Android phone too 🙂

 

Back when iPhones were vastly more expensive than Androids it was a no brainer; but while iPhone prices have stayed relatively the same over the years, Android prices just keep going up ... especially with the flagships

 

edit: the only thing I really miss from Android is the customizable home screen (had a W10M home screen on my previous phone) and alphabetical app drawer but that's a minor inconvenience at most

Yep, no contract here either and wouldn't use any phone/provider if I had to do a contract. Wouldn't consider a flagship phone in a million years either. Haven't ever spent more than $79 for any of my Android phones as that's about as high I'm even willing to go for just a phone!!

 

Now, granted, I would like to have the updates that Iphones provide and that is the main thing I hate about Android, but like I said again, don't use my phone for much more than texting and calling, although that's almost a rarity that anybody calls now a days, and an occasional quick search if I need to to look up something.

 

Nice to have a conversation without anyone going all ballistic about something as that's about a rarity anymore, but this will be my last reply to this conversation. We know where we stand on this! 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
6 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Yep, no contract here either and wouldn't use any phone/provider if I had to do a contract. Wouldn't consider a flagship phone in a million years either. Haven't ever spent more than $79 for any of my Android phones as that's about as high I'm even willing to go for just a phone!!

 

Now, granted, I would like to have the updates that Iphones provide and that is the main thing I hate about Android, but like I said again, don't use my phone for much more than texting and calling, although that's almost a rarity that anybody calls now a days, and an occasional quick search if I need to to look up something.

 

Nice to have a conversation without anyone going all ballistic about something as that's about a rarity anymore, but this will be my last reply to this conversation. We know where we stand on this! 🙂

yeah if that's all you're using a phone for is its basic uses then no reason to spend hundreds on a device (Y)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
Just now, Brandon H said:

yeah if that's all you're using a phone for is its basic uses then no reason to spend hundreds on a device (Y)

Yes by that logic, you would not even need a smartphone, a simple flip phone would work! :D Do they still make flip phones?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes by that logic, you would not even need a smartphone, a simple flip phone would work! :D Do they still make flip phones?

some do.

 

They aren't flip phones but Nokia still makes basic phones for those that don't need smartphone capability 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster
3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes by that logic, you would not even need a smartphone, a simple flip phone would work! :D Do they still make flip phones?

Yes, they do actually. They are actually on an uprise right now..

 

https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones/alcatel-go-flip-v/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H

I've thought of getting a modern basic cell phone to swap over to for traveling/camping purposes when needed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
NJ Louch
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

They are actually on an uprise right now

You are absolutely correct.  And not just the novelty value, they serve real uses as more robust backup devices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

some do.

 

They aren't flip phones but Nokia still makes basic phones for those that don't need smartphone capability 🙂

How do they compare price wise to the smartphone counterpart?

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Yes, they do actually. They are actually on an uprise right now..

@Mindovermaster you say they are on an up rise right now, how long has this been going on (is it recent > year ago or < then a year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster
3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

@Mindovermaster you say they are on an up rise right now, how long has this been going on (is it recent > year ago or < then a year?

IIRC, it started last summer, I think. just popped up like daisies. Could be wrong.. Not everyone needs a smart phone to simply talk/text.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Usama Jawad96
      Poll: What is your favorite gaming console of all time?
      by Usama Jawad

      Original image via Guinness Times have changed a lot since the first video game console called "Odyssey" came out in 1972, with numerous companies realizing the potential of gaming and the number of money people are willing to spend on it. Over the past 50 years, companies such as Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft, among others, have all entered the fray, each with their own offerings and vision for what gaming should be like.

      The nature of gaming has evolved, and we usually expect close to photorealistic graphics for AAA games on current-gen home consoles as well as generally fun gameplay mechanics on portable consoles such as the Nintendo Switch now. With the next generation of consoles just around the corner, we would like to know: which console would you pick as your favorite for all time?

      It doesn't need to be a console that you've owned, just a console that you enjoyed gaming the most on. For example, I personally loved the Game Boy Advance SP even though I never owned it as my parents could not afford to spend too much money on gaming at the time. I used to spend hours playing Pokémon on my friend's console, and it's the gaming console that left a lasting impression on me.

      Which console has left an impact on you so much that you consider it your favorite gaming console? We've attached a poll below to know your opinion, but needless to say, it isn't an exhaustive list (our polls are limited to 10 options), just the list of some of the most popular consoles so far. If your favorite one is not mentioned in the list, please select "Other" and let us know your choice in the comments section below.

    • By eRajesh
      Google Meet gaining Q&A and polls features next week
      by Rajesh Pandey



      From next week, Google will roll out two new features in Google Meet: polls and Q&A. The latter will allow meeting participants to ask questions during an ongoing meeting or presentation without disturbing its flow. This feature could also be particularly useful for students as they can ask their questions during an ongoing class without interrupting the teacher.



      As for polls, it will allow meeting hosts to get required feedback from their audience and decide on future topics and overall offer a more engaging meeting experience. Moderators will also be able to set up multiple poll questions and launch the poll during a video call as they deem fit. After a poll is closed, the meeting hosts will receive a report of the results, with moderators also having an option to share the results of the poll with the participants in a bar chart format. An email containing the poll data in Google Sheets will also be automatically mailed to moderators.

      Google will roll out polls and Q&A feature in Google Meet starting October 8 for end-users and the rollout is expected to be completed in 15 days. It will be available for G Suite Essentials, Business, Enterprise, Enterprise for Education customers, with G Suite Basic, Education, and nonprofits customers missing out on it.

    • By +jnelsoninjax
      So with the upcoming releases of the new consoles, iPhone's, and GPU's I got curious as to how many of us buy it right away.
    • By Usama Jawad96
      Poll: Which next-generation console are you interested in buying?
      by Usama Jawad



      The next generation of consoles is just around the corner, and we are now aware of almost all the important details including specifications, features, launch titles, value for money, pricing, and availability.

      From Sony's end, we have two offerings: the PlayStation 5 and the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition. These siblings are the same in almost every aspect including a 3.5GHz octa-core AMD Ryzen Zen 2 CPU, a 10TFLOPS GPU, 16GB of GDDR6 RAM, a custom 825GB SSD, and games targeting up to 4K 120Hz video output. The only difference between the two consoles is that the standard PlayStation 5 packs an Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive, while the Digital Edition does not. The pre-orders situation has been messy so far, but the consoles officially launch starting on November 12 with price tags of $499 for PlayStation 5 and $399 for the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition.



      Over in Microsoft's camp, the situation is quite different. We have two consoles, namely the Xbox Series X and the Series S, but both pack considerably different hardware and are intended for different audiences.

      The more powerful Series X packs a 3.8GHz (3.6GHz with SMT) octa-core custom Zen 2 CPU, a 12TFLOPS GPU, 16GB of GDDR6 RAM, a custom 1TB SSD with Xbox Velocity Architecture, and games targeting up to 4K 120Hz video output. It also packs an Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

      Meanwhile the less powerful Xbox Series S differs with a 3.6GHz (3.4GHz with SMT) custom Zen 2 CPU, 4TFLOPS GPU, 10GB of GDDR6 RAM, a custom 512GB SSD with the same architecture as its sibling, and games targeting up to 1440p 120Hz video output. It lacks an Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive as well and is meant to be an all-digital console.

      Given their differing internals, the Series X is priced at $499 while the budget-friendly Series S sports a price tag of $299. Pre-orders for Microsoft's offerings start from September 22, with the consoles officially launching on November 10.

      With potential customers such as Neowin readers now aware of what the tech behemoths are offering, their price tags, availability, and bang for your buck, we are interested to know: which console are you looking to buy come holiday season or later? Do you have eyes on multiple consoles rather than sticking with a single option in this generation?

      Let us know by voting in the poll below (multiple options can be selected)! We're also interested to know the reasoning behind your choice so feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section!

    • By +jnelsoninjax
      I am curious to see how many people wear a mask when shopping or doing outdoor activities. I put an option in for yes, because I have to at work, because quite a few employers are starting to require employees to wear them.