Covid: Is your job essential?

COVID: Is your job essential?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is your job essential?

• Yes
    • No

Work for a large telecom company, one of the customers I'm personally involved in supporting is multiple hospitals.. So have to say prob falls into essential - if their network went down would not be a good thing. We joke about it when they complain about the stupidest thing "people could die" but it is true statement.. Just not when it comes to some of the ###### they complain about ;)

Have always had the option to work at home when need be.. I could do my job from a beach as long as had connection.. Doesn't really even need to be all that fast.. Most I have ever WFH before is couple of days in a row..  So yeah this is nuts, whole company is wfh.. And nobody sure when will be able to even go back into the office.

Work for an MSP, we've got like 60+ clients so yes... "essential".

Just thankful I have a job. I've been going into the office this past week just because I'm tired of being at home. Only like 2-3 of us coming in at a time, we wipe down anything we work on.

Yes. I work as a stocker at a grocery store. 

1 hour ago, dead.cell said:

Work for an MSP, we've got like 60+ clients so yes... "essential".

Just thankful I have a job. I've been going into the office this past week just because I'm tired of being at home. Only like 2-3 of us coming in at a time, we wipe down anything we work on.

Service comes in my work and cleans few times a day

@Barney T.

Dude rock it!!! great pic.. The only problem is that people didn't appreciate what you were doing before the ###### hit the fan!!

edit: The problem with the world is people do not understand the value of other people jobs until they actually need them!! Yeah billy the pizza delivery guy is just some kids job... But when you can not get your pizza delivered its an issue ;) What about when you need that health care worker to check you in, or XYZ.. And hey they are not working.. Or sure your house never catches on fire - why should we pay for fireman, etc..

The infrastructure that allows the world to work is built on the backs of many workers.  While you might not think that X is essential - give it a few weeks when that function is not being done.. Who would of thought that barbers were "essential" for example - give it a few months and everyone looks like ###### ;)

We are in the middle of a society changing event, that will be in the history books..  My youngest grandson is 5 currently - what do you think he will remember about this?  What will he tell his kids about this time in his life when they ask him dad how was he pandemic of 2020?  Could you really not wipe you ass because there was no TP?

I work for a DME company (Durable Medical Equipment), so I get to deliver and set up hospital beds, wheelchairs, O2 concentrators, nebulizers, etc.  I am also the one that mainly goes outside when clients come up (we are keeping people outside, so as not to spread anything).  So maybe I am also the "expendable" one?  LOL!

It's not "essential", but easily doable remotely, so I'm still doing it (as is everybody else where I work). 

Yes but I am working from home. Much better this way. Actually pretty comfortable..  would hate to go back to my workplace too soon

4 hours ago, Barney T. said:

100%

Barney RN.jpg

Perfect picture (although no smile?) to highlight the point of the idea of what is essential and what isn't.

How do you define "essential"? What Barney is doing is essential for people's lives, but one could argue I'm essential in such a matter because I'm keeping our guys working from home able to connect and do their work.

It's abundantly clear to me who is essential out of the two. And I'm not it. Barney and his ilk didn't get the slight pause that we may have had. They take it as another day despite suddenly being hammered by an influx, We get given the possibility, thanks to that, to reduce the impact.

I do find it funny how it has caused this situation for governments to recognize how much they look to the public to provide support. Now that the public can't provide the tax due to the virus the government (U.K. at least) are sending 500 million to charities, working on wiping NHS debt...why did it take a virus to make those decisions, and why was that money not available before? I know this is a "rainy day" situation, but damn...that's a lot of savings that could have been used elsewhere previously...

I define essential as people who keep the population safe and fed.  Which could be Drs, Nurses, PAs, Military, Grocery Stores,/food&water services, Communications (internet/tele services), Shipping.  There are more but I think I made the point.  .Anyone else I know still working is just happy/lucky to still have a job.

11 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I define essential as people who keep the population safe and fed.  Which could be Drs, Nurses, PAs, Military, Grocery Stores,/food&water services, Communications (internet/tele services), Shipping.  There are more but I think I made the point.  .Anyone else I know still working is just happy/lucky to still have a job.

I process funding and payments.

prettysure a lot of people lifes will be a little harder if I had to stop working. In fact a few businesses might default if they don't get funds.

However I am thankful I can do it from home. Opened my eyes as I thought I needed to be there together with coworkers to get it done.

However it is more work but also easier to focus in a quiet environment.

People who have kids - they find it so hard to do.

3 hours ago, MtnDewCodeRedFreak said:

Yes. I work as a stocker at a grocery store. 

We love you and only want some of your Code Red!

Also I'm "essential" in that they haven't yet moved my delivery job to the postal carriers.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PGHammer said:

it still can be done to an extent from home.  Furnitureland South literally has their entire staff WFH - and they make mid-end to high-end furniture for half the United States.  Our own rep is WFH - her office is in Greensboro - however, her home is not.  WE are located in Maryland,  It's why I asked what is driving the resistance.

Ya, all the office people are working from home, but wife isn't an office person. She's on the floor actually making the furniture.

19 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Poll is misleading. 

Essential job? No. 
Still working? Yes. 

Answered no on poll.

I agree, define essential. Medical, truck drivers, etc? 

In Florida, I run an independent paint store, (you want to paint your house, you come see me for the paint). Legally, we fall under the construction trade which falls under the essential category on paper.

Our business doubled after Hurricane Michael, it has now doubled again because of the stay home rules.  I've been here going on 21 years and this is the busiest I've ever seen it.

That being said, I am down 2 people, one because they don't have childcare, and 2, one quit under the pressure.

Like others have said, my work isn't essential but I am still going in to work.  I could probably work from home most of the time but at the minute I have to go in as I am the most senior who can go in and supervise where needed.  We have reduced the number of staff in the building from around 60 to 10-15 at most.

Delivery driver....so yes....BUT, is half the stuff I'm delivering essential?? NO....Yet, these companies are still working?? The internet doesn't shut down....more people at home, means more people ordering stuff online....DIY stuff, exercise stuff, gardening stuff, the list goes on....

We do deliver some medical stuff and supplies to hospitals and care homes...plus it seems most building sites are still open, so I guess our deliveries to them are essential, the rest, I'm not so sure...

I think there are levels of "essential" jobs, compared to others.   Anything medical, highly essential, military, etc.  However, there are other "essential" jobs I would place under those which have to do with infrastructure (Roads, ISP, Networks, delivery, food supply, supply in general).

The thing is, one could not function without the other.  A Dr./Nurse, wouldn't be able to do their job without proper equipment, gear, and some of that gear/equipment needs to be delivered and maintained.  Same for food, supplies, etc, etc...you get my point.

Basically, the beautufil thing here is, that nature is showing us how interconnected we all are, how symbiotic our relationships are to one another, and i just dont mean human to human....human to nature overall.

ohh well, words that will get lost in the vast hole of the internet...and ######, i need to stop drinking so early....not good when the IT director is drunk.

21 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Poll is misleading. 

Essential job? No. 
Still working? Yes. 

Answered no on poll.

As above.

Country went in to 'lockdown' (I use the term loosely) on the night of Monday 23rd March. I was furloughed from the Tuesday however I had to turn in on the Tuesday to carry out a few hours work. At that point we were sent home and furloughed. I've since been told that the company are not telling HMRC we were in that day. This means instead of 21 days of furlough i'm only going to get 20 as i'm back at work next week.

Absolutely pointless 3 weeks. Nothing has changed. 

For me, I would much rather sit at home on 80% pay. Not because i'm lazy because if I had a choice this whole Coronavirus thing would be sorted and i'd be at work on 100% pay but as things stand I would rather be safe at home on 80%.

Sadly I don't have a choice. 

My workplace don't sell food, is nothing to do with the NHS, police, fire service etc. We sell building and plumbing materials. The section that I work in sells building materials so if they remained open for plumbing and electrical goods (in case of emergencies for example) I wouldn't be called in, that's not my department. 

So I will be selling things such as bricks, blocks, loose sand and stone for things such as landscape gardening and house extensions etc.

To me that's not essential. To me that's putting my health at risk for the £. I'm not comfortable about going back to work especially as I have a high risk partner with multiple conditions that put them as high risk yet I also feel if I kick up a fuss then I will be out of a job. 

• 10 months later...