• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Stealth Upgrade from Working Galaxy S7 On The Cheap

PGHammer    1,759

Just tripped over this - and darn near face-faulted. It is (right now) one of the cheapest upgrades to a 5G-capable phone; it comes unlocked, and it does NOT cost $500 - despite it being from (of all folks) Samsung.  It's the Samsung S20 5G (upgrade from a working Galaxy S7) for $489USD from Samsung.com's Samsung Unlocked group.

Why I qualify - I went sideways from the S7 to my Pixel 3a last year; I have kept the S7 up; it still works fine, and is my 3a's backup.

The SIM issue - What issue?  The S7 I left, the Pixel 3a, and the S20 5G take the same-size SIM.  Further, I use T-Mobile's towers (which means I can use T-Mobile's mmWave 5G - which said Samsung supports).  Had I been still on Verizon's network (which said S7 came from) I would be out of luck (since Verizon uses a different sort of 5G); however, I moved from one carrier to the other due to LTE - not 5G, issues.  (Tracfone uses the networks of both carriers, and permits movement from one to the other via SIM swapping at no charge.)

The flaw - Yes; there is a flaw.  I can't get the phone in black.  (My 3a is in black.)  However, I CAN get it in PRODUCT (RED) - at no extra charge.  (Usually, this colorway costs extra.)

Basically, this will be a better backup (phone).  (Remember, the Qualcomm S7s are out of upgrade options and are stuck on Android 8; the S20s, however, ship with Android 10 out of the box; even if 5G is not an issue; it's still a better backup phone than the S7 would be.

Jim K    15,692

Where?

The cheapest S20 with a trade in is $499 (with the S9, S10, Note10 and "comparable device owners").  A fault-free S7 brings the price to 699.99 ... don't forget to click through all the questions.

Capture.thumb.JPG.897a57d943f8bd3fc22b1393ba263f99.JPG

PGHammer    1,759
On 4/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, Jim K said:

Where?

The cheapest S20 with a trade in is $499 (with the S9, S10, Note10 and "comparable device owners").  A fault-free S7 brings the price to 699.99 ... don't forget to click through all the questions.

Capture.thumb.JPG.897a57d943f8bd3fc22b1393ba263f99.JPG

Are you in the US - and are you looking to swap a Snapdragon-driven S7?

I got the same page you did; apparently the offer expired. (Curses.)

The offer is still identical to that currently for the S10e - and this phone (surprisingly) would be of greater use with my tower provider (T-Mobile) while costing no more - which is the only reason EITHER phone is under consideration at all.  (Remember - neither would replace my current primary phone - a Pixel 3a.)