• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Disappearing icons in insider preview

patseguin    1,328

Anyone having this problem with random icons disappearing or changing into the default icon? I'm wondering if there's a fix like running a sfc /scannow or something. I'm on 19608 but I've been seeing this for few builds now.

icons.thumb.jpg.b40b4da9cf8046ba4cc97c5cb9fa1864.jpg

zhangm    1,390
Posted (edited)

Yep, I think it's been listed as a known issue for at least a couple builds. Icons go missing, or are displayed with an abnormal bit depth.

We’re investigating reports that app icons in the taskbar are having rendering issues, including defaulting to the .exe icon.

rsrcomp    19

Just got a Blue Screen on Insider Preview saying "Memory Management". Will see if it happens again.

Sulphy    1,466

Indeed, been around for a while now... it is annoying! If you unpin the app (if its pinned) .. the icon comes back..... sometimes...... re-pinning the app to the taskbar, seems to work for a while at least, then you know what you are clicking on ;)

Fingers crossed, it gets sorted out soon!!

patseguin    1,328
8 minutes ago, Sulphy said:

Indeed, been around for a while now... it is annoying! If you unpin the app (if its pinned) .. the icon comes back..... sometimes...... re-pinning the app to the taskbar, seems to work for a while at least, then you know what you are clicking on ;)

Fingers crossed, it gets sorted out soon!!

Mind boggling that a trillion dollar company can't develop an OS that properly displays icons.

• Haha 1

Sulphy    1,466
4 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Mind boggling that a trillion dollar company can't develop an OS that properly displays icons.

True, however, i am assuming you are on an insider preview? So glitches like this are to be expected. Hence they do warn of potential issues with using pre-release builds... overall tho, i have had very few issues... but this one is annoying! The bane of wanting to be on the cutting edge... :D:D 

patseguin    1,328
6 minutes ago, Sulphy said:

True, however, i am assuming you are on an insider preview? So glitches like this are to be expected. Hence they do warn of potential issues with using pre-release builds... overall tho, i have had very few issues... but this one is annoying! The bane of wanting to be on the cutting edge... :D:D 

Good point lol.

zhangm    1,390

So, of course an hour after you posted this thread, they released a new build that fixes the issue.

We fixed an issue that was causing app icons in the taskbar to not display correctly, including defaulting to the .exe icon. This issue may have also caused some Insiders to have more reliability issues with explorer.exe.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-windows-10-build-19613-to-the-fast-ring-with-fixes

Sulphy    1,466

Well, new build of Win10 dropped today, 19613 ... and has a fix for the icons that randomly went wonky. So far so good... no issues!! :)

• Like 1

Pete W    0

On the Preview build I just got a Black screen then a constant loop of it trying to start, no error message. Guess it didn't like my graphics.      a new release will sort it I expect.

Sulphy    1,466
On 4/23/2020 at 9:19 AM, Pete W said:

On the Preview build I just got a Black screen then a constant loop of it trying to start, no error message. Guess it didn't like my graphics.      a new release will sort it I expect.

What are your system specs? My updates went through perfectly, the installation was pretty quick as well.

Are you able to get it into safe mode at all, and review event logs?

Pete W    0

Its just a 9900k on a Asus Hero board with 32 gig Dominator DDR4. nothing out the ordinary.