How to bypass Windows10 build version checking?

4 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

Now that is pure ignorance and inconsiderate. How fast do your vm load?  Sure I can look for alternative, but there are some function only that software got .  Before you judge further, start fully using VM for 3 months to do everything, edit picture, browsing web,  editing document etc.

I have, in fact I normally have 2-4 (sometimes even as high as 9, not including WSL) VM's running at any given time on my PERSONAL system at home, in fact when I work on any side projects at home before I'm ready to release a new build I typically spin up a fresh VM of Windows 10 (build number dependent on the minimum version I want to support/target) so that I can test in a clean environment that I got the correct build and the required API's/libraries included in the installation folder.

I typically only allocate 4GB of ram to a VM, even if it's going to be under heavy load.

1 minute ago, meowtresting said:

Now that is pure ignorance and inconsiderate. I only got 8gb ram, you think I can allocate 4gb to my vm to load hevy app inside vm? How fast do your vm load?  Sure I can look for alternative, but there are some function only that software got .  Before you judge further, start fully using VM for 3 months to do everything, edit picture, browsing web,  editing document etc.

I did. Back at uni for 2 years, when I had a macbook with 8GB RAM. For compatibility reasons at the time it was easier to jump in to a VM to do my coursework. I'm not saying it was blindingly fast, but it was a sacrifice I had to make in order to use the applications that I needed. If whatever application you are trying to use is that resource intensive, you're going to have to compromise one way or another.

3 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

I have, in fact I normally have 2-4 (sometimes even as high as 9, not including WSL) VM's running at any given time on my PERSONAL system at home, in fact when I work on any side projects at home before I'm ready to release a new build I typically spin up a fresh VM of Windows 10 (build number dependent on the minimum version I want to support/target) so that I can test in a clean environment that I got the correct build and the required API's/libraries included in the installation folder.

I typically only allocate 4GB of ram to a VM, even if it's going to be under heavy load.

if your pc has 8gb ram you can't! You clearly never did that before. I know you are trying to arguing and stand for your point but don't overdo it.

Even on optimum with no app open my windows will use 3.5GB of ram by default. If you give your vm 4gb of ram, I can guarantee you your pc will be so lag and restart pc is the only option

4 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

if your pc has 8gb ram you can't! You clearly never did that before. I know you are trying to arguing and stand for your point but don't overdo it.

Even on optimum with no app open my windows will use 3.5GB of ram by default. If you give your vm 4gb of ram, I can guarantee you your pc will be so lag and restart pc is the only option

No you definitely can.

Anyway if your concern is just having 8GB RAM then just upgrade to 1909 it's really not going to be an issue.

Uh no you can't guarantee that, and yes I have in fact, not only on a Windows system but also a Mac.  Again you have to compromise somewhere, either update your OS to the latest version or run the latest version in a VM, Windows will free up some of that RAM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vince800 said:

He isn't wrong.

Anyway if your concern is just having 8GB RAM then just upgrade to 1909 it's really don't going to be an issue.

you mean 1809 or 1909? May I know why 1909 version specifically? Like what do you like about that build the most?

3 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Uh no you can't guarantee that, and yes I have in fact, not only on a Windows system but also a Mac.  Again you have to compromise somewhere, either update your OS to the latest version or run the latest version in a VM, Windows will free up some of that RAM.

I don't know mac used how many ram by default, but using iOS I can tell Apple did a good job maintaining ram. Doing it once in a while is a thing, doing it daily is another thing. Just because you can, doesn't mean it's the optimum solution to use vm.

5 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

you mean 1809 or 1909? May I know why 1909 version specifically? Like what do you like about that build the most?

I don't know mac used how many ram by default, but using iOS I can tell Apple did a good job maintaining ram. Doing it once in a while is a thing, doing it daily is another thing. Just because you can, doesn't mean it's the optimum solution to use vm.

He recommending 1909 since thats the current version, 2004 isn't out of release preview yet and may not have driver support yet.

Do it daily and constantly as I really don't want to have to completely restart my system to use one app (or compile software on linux) in a dual boot scenario (I used to do this too before I discovered HyperV's predecessor Virtual PC.) .  In most cases running a vm, even if its only for occasional usage, is the optimal option (aside from upgrading my install (if my install is too outdated, which it never is))

I remember the days of running Virtual PC on one 4GB of RAM and on 32bit windows 😞 

13 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

As @Matthew S. said, it's the latest build so there's no reason not to. I've had a lot of experience with every single build of Windows 10 as I've been deploying it to sites since 1507 was released. There's no point in you going to 1809 because you'll just be in the same position again with unsupported software etc. not so much now but over time.

1 hour ago, meowtresting said:

Wow you said it like you purchase every software you used. You never use any pirated copy of app. You bought every windows license key. You bought every Ms.Office product.

Say if you are iOS user, you never jailbreak your phone, If you are on android, you never root your phone, you read every license agreement before you install every software.

Can't we just assume for a second it's just for POC and this is just meant for discussion for now? Say I want to test it in a vm.

I don't know why you against this so much, are you an app developer that this will affect your development? Do you interact with your users?

Well, I DO purchase a license for every piece of software I use but it sounds like you don't. Do you steal food as well? 

2 hours ago, meowtresting said:

Wow you said it like you purchase every software you used. You never use any pirated copy of app. You bought every windows license key. You bought every Ms.Office product.

Say if you are iOS user, you never jailbreak your phone, If you are on android, you never root your phone, you read every license agreement before you install every software.

Can't we just assume for a second it's just for POC and this is just meant for discussion for now? Say I want to test it in a vm.

I don't know why you against this so much, are you an app developer that this will affect your development? Do you interact with your users?

If you can’t afford the software licenses, have enough integrity to use something open source or free. We developers have to eat too, it’s not all about you. If you can afford it and still pirate, that is pathetic. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

If you can’t afford the software licenses, have enough integrity to use something open source or free. We developers have to eat too, it’s not all about you. If you can afford it and still pirate, that is pathetic. 

I am not working yet. Let's be honest which of us never use pirated app? The moment you jailbroken or root your phone I can highly say there's 99% chance you used pirated app before, just that you didn't realised it. For the record all my Microsoft product even office 365 are genuine, yet I don't even dare to tell smone to fully use genuine app.

If you dare to claim you never used even once time in your life then you only got the privilege to tell smone to use genuine software.

If it is because you only realised the importance to use genuine software after you became developer, then consider it as a lesson.

Again, back to the topic, change the build number don't actually let Microsoft goes bankrupt or receive any lost

Edited by meowtresting

• Brandon H locked this topic

Thread Locked

locking this thread before it goes too far. We really shouldn't be discussing pirating software or modifying intended OS blocks which clearly break TOS of said softwares.

We do not allow such talks on Neowin per our Community Guidelines

• Like 3