All new Nintendo Switch Micro?


Recommended Posts

sagum

dq5ncrz.jpg

 

So this isn't an offical announcement of any kind,  Picture is actually of a T9 android box, just for ideas.
What do you guys think of having a TV only version of the Nintendo Switch?
Gone are the Joycon, no touch screen, or any screen. Just wireless controllers or USB ones. Just a micro sized box plays Nintendo switch games, on the TV only.

Sounds weird, I know. Probably taking everything away from what most people see the Switch as a handheld console.

I recently got a Switch for my girlfriend, luckily managed to get one I might add, and she's been playing Animal Crossing. I've become somewhat addicted to it as well.

The thing is, we've got the Switch docked to the TV like 99% of the time. It would have made more sense to get a TV only version of some sort. Maybe Nintendo could push out more units as a result.
I'd probably buy another one just for myself, but it feels like I'd be wasting my money on a screen, joycons, battery, dock just to play it on the TV with some digital games.

Anyone else mainly playing via the docked mode?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H

I could see the allure to it but personally I'm the exact opposite.

 

I got the Switch Lite because I can't see myself ever really making use of it being docked. I'd rather have a show or movie playing on my TV while I'm sitting on the couch with my Switch or be on the go with my Switch.

 

Only time I'd see it being docked useful would be for couch co-op and multiplayer games for gatherings which I don't really do at my place anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat
21 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I could see the allure to it but personally I'm the exact opposite.

 

I got the Switch Lite because I can't see myself ever really making use of it being docked. I'd rather have a show or movie playing on my TV while I'm sitting on the couch with my Switch or be on the go with my Switch.

 

Only time I'd see it being docked useful would be for couch co-op and multiplayer games for gatherings which I don't really do at my place anyway.

I got the Lite because it was cheaper, available, and I already have a far better console for the TV.  Heh.  I'll probably trade it and other kit I own in towards the XSX when that time comes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+forster

I really like the PlaystationTV idea:

 

thumb_911313_product_catalog_large.thumb.jpeg.7af0d563edc44efabd69708018f17907.jpeg

 

I love my switch and unlike everyone else, I only ever use it docked. I dont like going places and I dont like taking tech out of their safe spaces 😛 

 

A small PSTV/RPi sized box that didnt have a screen, maybe just an SD card slot and bluetooth to pick up controllers would be excellent, Id love that in my life :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
2 minutes ago, forster said:

I really like the PlaystationTV idea:

 

thumb_911313_product_catalog_large.thumb.jpeg.7af0d563edc44efabd69708018f17907.jpeg

 

I love my switch and unlike everyone else, I only ever use it docked. I dont like going places and I dont like taking tech out of their safe spaces 😛 

 

A small PSTV/RPi sized box that didnt have a screen, maybe just an SD card slot and bluetooth to pick up controllers would be excellent, Id love that in my life :) 

slightly off topic but the PS Vita and PS TV where such great products that ended up being missed opportunities due to how Sony handled the expandable memory; making it over priced proprietary instead of standard MicroSD. I really do think they would have been much more popular on all fronts if not for that aspect.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
+forster
6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

slightly off topic but the PS Vita and PS TV where such great products that ended up being missed opportunities due to how Sony handled the expandable memory; making it over priced proprietary instead of standard MicroSD. I really do think they would have been much more popular on all fronts if not for that aspect.

Yeah the memory stick duos were horrible propriety crap. The PSP could have been so much more. Ive still got an old Jap white fat import somewhere, I love my lil buddy :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
13 minutes ago, forster said:

Yeah the memory stick duos were horrible propriety crap. The PSP could have been so much more. Ive still got an old Jap white fat import somewhere, I love my lil buddy :) 

The memory stick duo in the PSP was one thing; SD cards hadn't dominated the market at that point yet and the duo cards were quite popular due to Sony's cameras. By the time the Vita came out though SD cards and MicroSD had completely become the dominant memory stick of choice. The DS, it's main competitor, was using SD cards; and all smartphones used MicroSD. Most cameras had moved to SD and MicroSD too due to the speed enhancements for higher resolution recording. Just to name off the top uses. The Vita had a completely new proprietary card that no other product used. It was 100% a cash grab that backfired in Sony's face ....

 

I've still got a PSP 3000(?) laying around as well as a 1st gen Vita. Both are hacked and basically just used as emulators now lol

 

---

 

edit: but anyway, back on topic, I'm sure if Nintendo does release a TV only version of the Switch it would have a similar small form factor as the PlayStation TV. The switch uses the same Tegra chip as the Nvidia Shield devices and that's fairly small and could probably be made smaller so that would be nice to save space 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.