Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)

On 19/01/2022 at 10:33, Som said:

its created or produced by Alex Kurtzman, who's an Abram's guy. He's involved in all Abram's stuff. All Star Trek since the 2009 movie I would consider Abrams regardless of the timeline.  And pretty much everything Kurtzman is involved in is terrible .... (in my opinion)

You're entitled to your opinion and regardless who's behind the series, IMHO I've enjoyed both Picard and Discovery.  Frankly if they were so terrible in the minds of Trekkie/Trekkers, I don't think they would be renewed for these many seasons already.

• Like 2

Dont hate on the show because of him. Discovery is great post season 1, Picard is great, Lower Decks is great and self aware, Prodigy is also great despite being a made for teens show.. I fully expect SNW to bring more of the Anson Mount greatness that we've already experienced. 

The problem with the Abrams movies is #1 hes overrated and #2 Paramount/CBS divorce meant that the movies had to be different from the tv shows or be stuck in negotiations. I dont think Abrams would have stayed around if CBS restricted his vision.

• Thanks 2

I don't hate them because of Kurtzman alone, i just don't like anything he's done. I've watched all of the above because I love star trek and I feel obliged to and I just don't like any of them. Discovery is trying too hard, and while the special effects are very good it just looks bad, i blame the constant moving camera. I dislike all the characters and I don't like the way they've gone with the star trek universe as It was supposed to be about hope and how united everyone would be in the future but it's all destroyed now so who cares. ( I gave discovery until half way through the current season and finally stopped). Same applies to Picard, although Picard has arguably worse characters and and even worse portrayal of the future. I hated lower decks, gave it 2 episodes (but I dislike that type of cartoon). Prodigy is alright but not aimed at me and I just didn't find it interesting. 

As for the new one, i'll give it a go because they where the best thing about discovery but I'm not expecting much.

As for them being renewed, well strange new worlds is already renewed before it's even released.  That's not fan support as no fan has seen it, that's marketing.  If it's renewed for a second season it must be great right?.  They did the same with Picard and Discovery.  

On 19/01/2022 at 11:24, Som said:

Discovery is trying too hard, and while the special effects are very good it just looks bad, i blame the constant moving camera. I dislike all the characters and I don't like the way they've gone with the star trek universe as It was supposed to be about hope and how united everyone would be in the future but it's all destroyed now so who cares.

The current season of Discovery is about bringing unity back after the burn and the collapse of the federation and "lawlessness".  Bring everyone back together to handle the crisis of the DMA and who's responsible for it thus proving that the Federation is capable once again of helping in these situations.  If every new Star Trek show were a cookie cutter of either the TOS or TNG people would get bored of it real fast.

On 19/01/2022 at 11:24, Som said:

Same applies to Picard, although Picard has arguably worse characters and and even worse portrayal of the future.

Picard is about Picard and not about the Federation or Starfleet or portrayal of the rose-colored future that one would see from the eyes of being on a starship going from one mission to another.

On 19/01/2022 at 14:57, primortal said:

How is this Abram's trek?  All the new shows take place in the Prime timeline and NOT the Kelvin timeline.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh..... No, it really isn't.

On 19/01/2022 at 12:32, FloatingFatMan said:

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh..... No, it really isn't.

Do tell :D

On 19/01/2022 at 12:53, FloatingFatMan said:

Watch Discovery season 3, episode 9.  Terra Firma part 1.

Just because Kovich mentions the Kevlin timeline doesn't mean that Discovery takes place in the Kelvin timeline.  Discovery and Picard still takes place in the Prime timeline.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2022 at 13:04, primortal said:

Just because Kovich mentions the Kevlin timeline doesn't mean that Discovery takes place in the Kelvin timeline.  Discovery and Picard still takes place in the Prime timeline.

This, they are aware of the kelvin universe, as well as the Terran.. just because they've had crossovers from both into prime doesn't suddenly make a third universe... otherwise we'd have been in an alt universe since TOS.

That's a surprise, so season 2 is going to give us Kirk as captain going forward?

On 16/03/2022 at 00:47, shockz said:

Probably a cadet/lower rank. I hope the rumors of them making Kirk bi too come true, just to see the oldies lose their minds. 

You just want to watch the world burn don't you?   

• Like 2

On 15/03/2022 at 20:26, George P said:

You just want to watch the world burn don't you?   

haha looks like the tears are already flowing too per the face palms. Loving it.

On 15/03/2022 at 18:47, shockz said:

Probably a cadet/lower rank. I hope the rumors of them making Kirk bi too come true, just to see the oldies lose their minds. 

Perhaps he'll be the XO, taking over after Pike's accident.

William Shatner was 35 when he was cast as Kirk, Paul Wesley is 39. 

• Like 2

Seems a bit early to announce IMO... We haven't even seen season 1 yet and they're casting for season 2?  Does this mean Pike is already out and we're going to see the handover to Kirk?  IIRC, we never saw when Kirk was given command, only that the original show depicted 3 of the 5 year voyage he commanded, so perhaps that show started on year 2?

It'll be interesting to see how they do it, but I fear they'll screw it up somehow...

On 16/03/2022 at 11:26, FloatingFatMan said:

It'll be interesting to see how they do it, but I fear they'll screw it up somehow...

well they don't have a good track record so far

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 09:58, primortal said:

You're entitled to your opinion and regardless who's behind the series, IMHO I've enjoyed both Picard and Discovery.  Frankly if they were so terrible in the minds of Trekkie/Trekkers, I don't think they would be renewed for these many seasons already.

Discovery : Every episode is like a full blown feature film and a good one at that. Picard is as good too. (IMO) I started at TOS so I'm all in. 😃

• Like 2

On 16/03/2022 at 11:44, xrobwx71 said:

Discovery : Every episode is like a full blown feature film and a good one at that. Picard is as good too. (IMO) I started at TOS so I'm all in. 😃

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I honestly am; but I feel that you and I have VERY different definitions of "good", my friend. :p