Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)

Dr. M'Benga and Lt. Cmdr. Spock get full names courtesy the Star Trek novels Harbinger and Ishmael, respectively.

Dr. Jabilo M'Benga

Lt. Cmdr. S'Chn T'Gai Spock

Also via Discovery is Vulcan's home-language name; Ni'Var, from the 1960's Spockanalia.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2022/04/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-mbenga-spock-first-names/

mbenga-1.thumb.jpg.6019825d859c1ca5dab785184502794a.jpg

spock-1.thumb.jpg.9567c0965a210bf5685a5aa9eb33ea1d.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Beat me to it.  The music is not what I expected but the classic opening line never gets old. 

Saw the first ep, good start IMO, emotional,  nothing complex story wise but to the point.  Only thing that I could see as negative is that the episode does move quick.  I expect future eps will go slower, they had to get some character introductions out of the way etc.  

On 05/05/2022 at 12:39, George P said:

Saw the first ep, good start IMO, emotional,  nothing complex story wise but to the point.  Only thing that I could see as negative is that the episode does move quick.  I expect future eps will go slower, they had to get some character introductions out of the way etc.  

How come spoilers for Picard and SNW are all over the web yet the episodes don't drop on streaming until tomorrow for us in Europe 😠😒 This is what pushes good people into pirating mannnn.

SNAG-0004.png

Pls no spoilers.. (use the spoiler tag)

Look at this crap:

Episodes are released to Amazon's On Demand service one day later than Paramount+ subscribers; it will be available every week on Fridays at 12 a.m. GMT (1am CET) starting March 4.

Meanwhile:

Episode 10 of Star Trek: Picard Season 2 will be released on Paramount+ on Thursday, May 5, 2022, at 12 am PT

On 05/05/2022 at 13:51, Steven P. said:

How come spoilers for Picard and SNW are all over the web yet the episodes don't drop on streaming until tomorrow for us in Europe 😠😒 This is what pushes good people into pirating mannnn.

SNAG-0004.png

Pls no spoilers.. (use the spoiler tag)

Look at this crap:

Episodes are released to Amazon's On Demand service one day later than Paramount+ subscribers; it will be available every week on Fridays at 12 a.m. GMT (1am CET) starting March 4.

Meanwhile:

Episode 10 of Star Trek: Picard Season 2 will be released on Paramount+ on Thursday, May 5, 2022, at 12 am PT

Some people got to see the first 5 episodes already so you should be on the lookout for spoilers all over the place.  Stay off of YT etc.  I don't think I spoiled anything above, pretty general comments.

On 05/05/2022 at 11:51, Steven P. said:

Indeed, and is exactly why I feel ZERO guilt in doing so.  I sub to Amazon anyway so would get to see it a day later "legitimately", but screw that and screw them! I am not a second class fan, I will not wait. They only harm themselves in pulling this kind of crap.

Also, seen ep 1 now and so far it's promising.  No overt drama queens yet, at least.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2022 at 13:32, FloatingFatMan said:

Also, seen ep 1 now and so far it's promising.  No overt drama queens yet, at least.

I smiled all the way through it, it was great! :D 

Loving the banter with Spock already.

On 05/05/2022 at 21:47, Steven P. said:

I smiled all the way through it, it was great! :D 

Loving the banter with Spock already.

It's pretty clear that this time the writers actually went back and watched some TOS... And probably a few episodes of The Orville too...

Lots of little easter eggs in there too.. Anyone notice the transporter sound effect?

• Like 2

On 05/05/2022 at 23:49, FloatingFatMan said:

It's pretty clear that this time the writers actually went back and watched some TOS... And probably a few episodes of The Orville too...

Lots of little easter eggs in there too.. Anyone notice the transporter sound effect?

Yeah.   I'm waiting for the easter egg videos to hit YT so I can see what I missed.

On 05/05/2022 at 23:54, zikalify said:

OK so this series should be called Star Trek: Strange New Spock!

Nothing strange about Spock at this time in his life.  If you look at the original pilot he's totally different.  Anyways, I expect as the show goes on, and if we get enough seasons, we'll slowly start to get the Spock we get in TOS when Kirk takes over.

On 05/05/2022 at 22:54, zikalify said:

OK so this series should be called Star Trek: Strange New Spock!

This is the Spock that totally does not understand humans, in TOS he matured to tolerating humans need for emotional attachment.

Just watched it. Ok, so I’m not one of those guys who has watched Discovery and Picard and voices “This is not Star Trek”… but after watching the pilot of Strange New Worlds…

THIS ABSOLUTELY IS STAR TREK!

I really need to stay off of youtube comments,  I spent some time last night arguing with another user over this episode.  

Spoiler

People are hung on the idea of the Kiley making a "warp bomb" in such a short time span after observing the huge battle at the end of Disc season 2.     Maybe the writers shouldn't have used the name "warp bomb" but honestly of all the things to try and nitpick away this one is possible to explain, which I tried, but oh well.

As per canon/lore, warp signatures are just neutrino patterns,  they're not too hard to detect, we know enough about them irl.  It isn't so hard to assume their telescopes (general term here) picked up all the neutrino patterns from the massive battle and that gave them the basic idea to make a matter/anti-matter bomb, which is what they did.    The warp signature the USS Archer picked up was the test firing of a bomb.     I mean we can make antimatter, it's not that far fetched we could make a bomb out of the stuff to, just that no ones crazy enough to try, atm.  

• Like 2

On 11/05/2022 at 08:22, George P said:

I really need to stay off of youtube comments,  I spent some time last night arguing with another user over this episode.  

Hide contents

I mean we can make antimatter, it's not that far fetched we could make a bomb out of the stuff to, just that no ones crazy enough to try, atm.  

Spoiler

Our scientists made a bomb out of the building blocks of matter (atoms) ... of course we're crazy enough to do it.

il_570xN.2103727651_8y06.png

On 11/05/2022 at 11:10, Dick Montage said:

So here’s a thing I didn’t know, and a surname I wasn’t expecting…

2D61A90E-323F-4519-AFC9-2FC109CE8DEA.jpeg

People jumped on the name but I don't think it's such a big deal.   If you go back enough you'll probably find her relation to Khan in some way.  Dude ruled a chunk of the Earth, probably had multiple kids and family lines all over.  

• Like 2

On 11/05/2022 at 09:34, George P said:

People jumped on the name but I don't think it's such a big deal.   If you go back enough you'll probably find her relation to Khan in some way.  Dude ruled a chunk of the Earth, probably had multiple kids and family lines all over.  

Kinda like Genghis Khan did…

On 11/05/2022 at 11:36, Dick Montage said:

Kinda like Genghis Khan did…

That's basically the exact parallel being made here.  I mean the name gives it away but heh.  

• Like 1

Episode 2 is out it seems.  This one is more Uhura focused while the first ep was a bit more Pike focused.  Seems that's the formula going forward, each episode will focus a bit more on a specific character while events play out.  Ep2 is a bit more scifi compared to the first one IMO.  But we've seen pieces of it from the trailer, so it's not 100% a surprise.