No network connection for 30ish seconds after desktop (Win 10)

Not sure what is going on here, thought maybe it was my DHCP server, but switched to static and same issue.

When I boot windows or cold boot or restart when it gets to the desktop the globe icon is in the system tray with the circle cross on it. I have no network connection.

I just, I'm seeing this same thing at work and at home... At home I just timed it and it was 39 seconds from windows start to when it went away going by the windows uptime counter.

At work it's usually around 20 seconds... at work our network people thought it was just our cisco switches with portfasts turned off.. but no, my port there has portfasts turned on..

at home I have Unifi switches and get the same thing... on both networks my ports are set as access ports

Any ideas on what would cause the network to not be on until that long after windows booted? I never had this issue until the past year I started to notice it at work and now at home.

Anything on the switches to check?

I'm seeing this on the following model NICs

ASUS XG-C100C 10G PCI-E Network Adapter (NDIS 6.50 Miniport)

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V

Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

That's a pretty good range of cards and they are all seeing it so I don't think it's a NIC issue...

To add to this, when it says there is no network there is no network... I can not ping, trace route, or browse until it shows up as having a connection..

more info....

When this happens doing an IP config only returns as expected:

C:\Users\Def.DESKTOP-8GE0DQV>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

that's it..

if I go to network adapters the adapter is enabled, the link light is blinking just nothing... If I disable the NIC then re-enable it, it comes on instantly

I am also getting this with a clean install of win 10 pro 2004

Hello,

Does it make a difference if you temporarily uninstall (not disable, but install) your security software?  Same question, but also for VPN software, if any.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I run a unifi network at home, and i can only ask what firmware are you on, what switches have you got?? Also, are you running UniFi Network controller, version, and what is your gateway? USG / UDM.... 

Are you running the same build of Windows 10 at home and at the office? Could it be to do with the update to 2004? If you boot with a Linux Live USB key do you still have to wait to get a network connection?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Are you running the same build of Windows 10 at home and at the office? Could it be to do with the update to 2004? If you boot with a Linux Live USB key do you still have to wait to get a network connection?

right now yes both are 2004 but I was seeing this at work with 1908 also

4 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Does it make a difference if you temporarily uninstall (not disable, but install) your security software?  Same question, but also for VPN software, if any.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It does this with a clean install of windows... I doubt this is software related outside of the OS level, it seems like either a switch config or something at the NIC driver level / windows NIC settings?

I just fond out at least 4 other people at work are also seeing this issue on brand new systems running win 10 pro 1908 and all them are connected to a cisco 48 port catalyst switch

Edited by neufuse

3 hours ago, Sulphy said:

I run a unifi network at home, and i can only ask what firmware are you on, what switches have you got?? Also, are you running UniFi Network controller, version, and what is your gateway? USG / UDM.... 

I'm not using the USG I have a microtik routerboard router instead and it's on version 6.46

My unifi Switch is on firmware 4.3.13.11253

Unifi Controller version 5.12.72

current build atag_5.12.72_13103

Not sure what build 1908 is?  You mean 1909? Or do you mean 1809 which an enterprise version?

I'm on 1909 and not seeing any such issue, nor do I recall ever seeing an issue on any version of win10 in the past..  Just checked my work laptop and its on 1809, I do not recall seeing any such issue with it either wired or wireless.. But I can give it a reboot and see how long it takes..  Will report back on that.

Have you tried hard coding the nic to 100 vs gig.. Does this come up faster?

edit: Ok not seeing any issue to be honest.. As soon as it logs in have an IP from dhcp, but hard to test if can really ping anything until after the vpn connects.. But that happens pretty quick.. Doesn't seem to be slow or anything.. And since its connecting to the vpn right after it logins.. It clearly must have connection.

1 hour ago, neufuse said:

right now yes both are 2004 but I was seeing this at work with 1908 also

I would test with a Live USB Key, it takes 5-15 minutes to do and it can help rule out the issue being with the OS. I'm not sure how the issue could be occurring in an office environment and a home environment, each using different hardware.

So came at it from a different way on my work laptop.. I started a continuous ping to its IP.. Then clicked the power button.. As soon as I saw the dell logo pop up I started stopwatch... Like 18 seconds had a answer.. then it went away as the software firewalls and stuff started kicking in.. And it started connected to vpn, etc..

So not really seeing any sort of delay here..

When my transcoding finishes, say another hour or so I will test on my home PC.. same sort of test pinging it from another device and see how long it takes before it answers ping from power on.

Could this possibly just be a bad set of NICs? On either end? Can you get a USB to Ethernet adapter? They're just a few bucks on eBay. Or get it from your local computer store. Get a refund after trying it.

As Nick said above, get a Linux Live USB. That will tell us if it is a hardware or softwatre fault.

ISP has nothing to do with it, this is his local connection

edit:  Just tested home pc... Instant logged in network is up..

47 minutes ago, BudMan said:

ISP has nothing to do with it, this is his local connection

edit:  Just tested home pc... Instant logged in network is up..

Just shows how little you know.  Is the ISP the same.

• Facepalm 6

37 minutes ago, NinjaGinger said:

Ironic. The ISP has nothing to do with it if he doesn’t even have an IP...

@neufuse have you tried Safemode with network support? I know you said it happens on a clean install but humor me. 

There has to be something going on with your computer.   Antivirus/3rd Party firewall software, drivers, vpn software.   Anything that attaches to the network configuration.  Even possibly a group policy.  

3 hours ago, NinjaGinger said:

Doesn't matter!  You just showing how little you know!

5 hours ago, BudMan said:

Not sure what build 1908 is?  You mean 1909? Or do you mean 1809 which an enterprise version?

I'm on 1909 and not seeing any such issue, nor do I recall ever seeing an issue on any version of win10 in the past..  Just checked my work laptop and its on 1809, I do not recall seeing any such issue with it either wired or wireless.. But I can give it a reboot and see how long it takes..  Will report back on that.

Have you tried hard coding the nic to 100 vs gig.. Does this come up faster?

edit: Ok not seeing any issue to be honest.. As soon as it logs in have an IP from dhcp, but hard to test if can really ping anything until after the vpn connects.. But that happens pretty quick.. Doesn't seem to be slow or anything.. And since its connecting to the vpn right after it logins.. It clearly must have connection.

sorry that was a mistype... it was 1909

haven't had time to do more testing today yet, will get to that tonight.. but I am seeing this on 3 systems at home right now, and 5 systems at work in total

4 hours ago, NinjaGinger said:

Is  it the same ISP at home and work.

ISP's have absolutely nothing to do with a local network. If the NIC isn't even up or the PHY layer isn't connected it can't even talk to the ISP to start with.....

this appears to be at either layer 1 or layer 2 (probably here) or at most layer 3 (maybe not?)

BTW this still happens if there is no internet connection, as the work network this is being tested on isn't connected to one...

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

There has to be something going on with your computer.   Antivirus/3rd Party firewall software, drivers, vpn software.   Anything that attaches to the network configuration.  Even possibly a group policy.  

no, like I said, I can do a clean install and it happens right away. nothing is installed at that point besides windows default config and default drivers...

at home I don't have a DC, and no GPO's or even local policies applied

EDIT:

Just noticed my Wifi connected laptop does not have this issue when on wifi, it connects to wifi instantly....... put a USB ethernet dongle on it and boom same issue

2 hours ago, neufuse said:

ISP's have absolutely nothing to do with a local network. If the NIC isn't even up or the PHY layer isn't connected it can't even talk to the ISP to start with.....

this appears to be at either layer 1 or layer 2 (probably here) or at most layer 3 (maybe not?)

BTW this still happens if there is no internet connection, as the work network this is being tested on isn't connected to one...

no, like I said, I can do a clean install and it happens right away. nothing is installed at that point besides windows default config and default drivers...

at home I don't have a DC, and no GPO's or even local policies applied

EDIT:

Just noticed my Wifi connected laptop does not have this issue when on wifi, it connects to wifi instantly....... put a USB ethernet dongle on it and boom same issue

I did mention drivers.  Not excluding the device or the software that allows the device to run.  

23 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I did mention drivers.  Not excluding the device or the software that allows the device to run.  

yeah, but I would find it odd that 3 different NICs all have the same issue..

I did now try the OEM drivers also and same issue

35 minutes ago, sc302 said:

11 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yeah, but I would find it odd that 3 different NICs all have the same issue..

I did now try the OEM drivers also and same issue

I had exactly the same problem and it was my ISP so there it is possible.

• Facepalm 2

Did you try hardcoding the speed down to 100..

Do you have a dumb switch you could test with vs the unifi, to get it out of the equation?