Suggestion: Allow Flash Sigs

Why not allow our more creative users to post flash animations in their sigs?

I've seen some creative uses including games, movies, even small guestbooks!

I'm not sure if this would require a hack, but I know that http://www.flashkit.com does it with version 1.1.3 of vBulletin.

Nooooooooooooooooo...

I've seen this hack done at other boards and it really slows down scrolling of threads when 5 or more people have flash sigs. There are so many people at neowin I can imagine some of the larger threads would be unbearable.

Why not just convert them to animated gifs?

Why not allow our more creative users to post flash animations in their sigs?
Ever consider how your little dialup user friend (like me) would feel about that when the page takes too long to load and I ended up hammering my monitor? :cheeky: :D

I'm starting to see your points... i think if this were ever to happen there would be a definite need for a limit on sig size. I imagine this would be quite a burden for dial up users too, as poor configure has pointed out.:p Sounds good in theory i guess , but maybe not so good in practice....:ermm:

Greetz

don't know if that should be done

teoretica...it will look good, but in practice....man dial-up users will have to wait toooooooooo long...and think how nuch bandwidth would this require...both from neowin and us users:ermm:

well, i suggest scrolling around the flashkit forums for a bit and seeing why that's really not the case.

99% of the flash animations are actually smaller than their animated gif or jpg friends would ever.

Flash is all vectors and compresses REALLY small for the ammount of animation you can get out of it.

You'd be supprised how much animation you can get done in 2-3k ;)

Please, please ... noooooooooooooooooooo ...

I don?t care about the aditional Bandnwith due i?m on highspeed connection now.

But flash uses CPU Power ... A LOT OF IT!

I only got 350mhz ... and one animation stresses my CPU to the max!

I don?t wanna see more bloody flashing banners all over neowin.

"The more creative users"?

Why can?t those creative users just think about some sophisticated sentences in there sig ... like it was supposed to.

Pleas NOOOOO FLA:s! :s

aco: it'd just be a custom vbcode

http://www.site.com/flash.swf

<pre>

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=4,0,0,0" ID=webserver1 WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=40>

<param NAME=movie VALUE="{param}">

<param NAME=quality VALUE=high>

<param NAME=bgcolor VALUE="#FFFFFF"> 

<embed src="{param}" quality=high bgcolor="#FFFFFF" WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=40 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed> 

</object>

</pre>

that's what i'd use

Great idea in theory, and most sigs would probably load faster for a while till peeps made them too complex, but the CPU power involved when scrolling multiple flash animations is HUGE.

Its ok when you have smooth scroll turned off (just, I'm on a 1.5 GHz machine) but with smooth scroll turned on which is what most peeps have........

Its ok when you have smooth scroll turned off (just, I'm on a 1.5 GHz machine) but with smooth scroll turned on which is what most peeps have........

what do you mean with smooth scroll? is there a way to enable this...i noticed the scroll speed and the scrolling is damn bad and not smooth at all since i installed win xp :ermm:

Originally posted by mariusu  

what do you mean with smooth scroll? is there a way to enable this...i noticed the scroll speed and the scrolling is damn bad and not smooth at all since i installed win xp :ermm:

Erm. Several problems with answering:

1. There are many settins all over the place, and it is even worse in XP
  2. I can never remember where they all are - I just try and find them when I feel the urge to turn them off because windows has automatically turned them on again.