Neowin might share location data?

Recently I saw a cookie Agree screen on Neowin that listed different things that might get shared with third parties including accurate location data.

This appeared to be turned off when I clicked Agree but now when I go in my profile on Neowin I can't find the setting at all. Where should I look? I'm surprised Neowin would even want to gather that.

I've never been prompted by any of my browsers to share location data visiting this site.

I saw the prompt too, made sure I objected and had everything off. Hopefully it's something that was more compliance related than actually implementing.

12 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Recently I saw a cookie Agree screen on Neowin that listed different things that might get shared with third parties including accurate location data.

This appeared to be turned off when I clicked Agree but now when I go in my profile on Neowin I can't find the setting at all. Where should I look? I'm surprised Neowin would even want to gather that.

looks like it can be readjusted from the new 'Privacy' option on the bottom right corner underneath the go to top button

image.thumb.png.4ca3d1e99a0a41664f38efb1b8515eb7.png

Steve has been adjusting the alert to comply with the new GDPR.eu guidelines it sounds like so that's why the change in wording/functionality.

Oh ok, this wasn't on mobile. Oddly when I agreed, location tracking was off but when I went to check now in desktop browsing, it was on! So good thing I checked.

Thanks for helping me find it!

I just want to point out that the GDPR / CCPA consent is required by law and contains language that is supposed to have us be in compliance with it.

Advertisers do collect location data based on your IP and we even log IP addresses for our member management and anti spam protections, in that sense, it is location data and nothing new at all since you have been able to login to any website from as far back as the 1990's 😛 

Our GDPR tool was updated to be compliant with the California privacy laws and I have been doing some other site / forum maintenance too.

On 8/14/2020 at 12:35 AM, SnoopZ said:

Thanks for the heads up just turned all this bollocks off, hopefully it'll get remembered for next time.

I don't live in the EU and only received the notification on my Android phone. It hasn't appeared on my W10 desktops. 

On my phone, after turning all of this off I have found my settings of choice have been honored. I have even turned my phone on/off to test this.

4 hours ago, Jumping Jacinta said:

I don't live in the EU and only received the notification on my Android phone. It hasn't appeared on my W10 desktops. 

On my phone, after turning all of this off I have found my settings of choice have been honored. I have even turned my phone on/off to test this.

I think it acts as a normal cookie consent for other territories, for the EU it will seek consent every 30 days as required by law (thanks politicians! /s).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jumping Jacinta said:

I don't get any notification either on Windows 10 with uBlock enabled, but i turned it off to test and i get the notification, including the annoying privacy button in bottom corner.

Everything was disabled for me in the settings and i hadn't done that for the new popup unless it carried over from when i did it on mobile.

Time to reenable uBlock make the internet usable again.

Edited by SnoopZ
  • Like 1