'Supergirl' Canceled: Why the CW Show is Ending After Six Seasons


 Share

Recommended Posts

Per Deadline, there were two main factors for the cancelation of Supergirl: Flagging ratings and delays caused by the coronavirus.

 

At its peak on The CW (where the show moved for Season 2), the show had an average viewership of over three million viewers. By Season 5, however, this had almost halved, with Season 5 episodes getting around 1.6 million viewers on average according to The Hollywood Reporter, who combine broadcast figures with viewers who watched the episode on demand within seven days of broadcast.

 

The end of Supergirl Season 5 was plagued with particular low ratings—per ShowBuzzDaily, under 700,000 people were watching each episode live by the end of the season, down from 1.26 million at the start of the season.

 

The final season also has two things delaying it: The coronavirus pandemic, which has moved the show from its usual fall slot into 2021, and Benoist's pregnancy, announced in March 2020.

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/supergirl-canceled-why-the-cw-show-is-ending-after-six-seasons/ar-BB19kO6d

Supergirl-Season-6.Arrowverse.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the show and I'm sad to see it go.  I know it got a little preachy and political at times (which is probably why the ratings weren't so great), but it was good overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my personal opinion on why this show sank like the Titanic, and please tell me if you agree or not. It's ok.

 

When this show premiered, it was great. The stories were very good. The characters. Everything was about Supergirl, especially the episodes where Superman made his cameos. That was good. Great visuals. Great story. Lots of action, but then something happened:

 

 They went into LGBT land and everything went straight to hell. Mind you, this is supposed to be a "Family Show", so before those of you who are gay or belong to the LGBT community get on my case, let me make something very clear to you:

 

I have absolutely nothing against the gay community as I have many friends who are gay. This isn't about that, is about the show and what it was supposed to represent and the audience it was supposed to be directed at.

 

Like I said, this show began as a family show, which means little girls, little boys, teens would be watching it, as well as some adults. In the beginning it was great, but then they shifted to the lesbian/gay story lines and all of the sudden, we see two women kissing each other on a show that was supposed to be a "Family Oriented" show. Now, those parents who were letting their children see this show for what it was, are no longer letting their children see it. Why? Because even though being gay is a norm in our society now, there are still parents out there who think otherwise and now you have millions of families, who at one point supported the show, drop their support because of this. Supergirl was no longer a Family show once that line was crossed. It was a gamble and they knew it. The gamble failed and now they are paying for it. The ratings speak for themselves.

 

I had mentioned this to them on their official YouTube channel last year. I told them they needed to ease down on the lesbian/gay storylines for the sake of the ratings and the fact that the show was supposed to be a family show, not a PG-13 soap opera. 

 

The show went from "The Adventures of Supergirl" to "The Adventures of my Gay Sister Alex". Every episode after Season 3 was just simply bad. Tyler Hoechlin made Season 2 of Supergirl worth watching. Season 3 was good, especially the end of it. The last episode of Season 3 was action-filled and the visuals were amazing, sadly every season after that was bad, for the reason mentioned above. Supergirl became just another, boring soap opera show.

 

There were so many wonderful stories and things they could have adapted from the comics and make the show successful for another few seasons, but instead the writers chose to dive into waters they should have never dove into and damaged the show and it's original vision and direction.

 

Good news is, we will have more "Super" action as Tyler Hoechlin is returning to be Superman full time soon with his own show, and I am quite positive Melissa will make a cameo as Supergirl on his show, just like he did on hers, from time to time, so it won't be the last we see of her character. Let's hope, for the sake of his show, that they don't make the same mistakes they made with Supergirl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spacelordmaster said:

<snip>

I agree but it doesn't just apply to Supergirl, Hollyweird takes actual current social issues and then just runs with it until you are fed up of it getting slapped in your face all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got burned out on all the Superhero movies and TV shows .  Seems Hollywood cannot do much else anymore.  Except for maybe The Boys which takes a diff spin on Superheros.   CW just started packing the shows.  The Flash, Super Girl, Arrow, Legends of  Tomorrow, Black Lighting, Star Girl....  And then you have the cross over episodes that if you do not watch pretty much most of these shows, you miss out on some story lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spacelordmaster said:

Here's my personal opinion on why this show sank like the Titanic, and please tell me if you agree or not. It's ok.

 

When this show premiered, it was great. The stories were very good. The characters. Everything was about Supergirl, especially the episodes where Superman made his cameos. That was good. Great visuals. Great story. Lots of action, but then something happened:

 

 They went into LGBT land and everything went straight to hell. Mind you, this is supposed to be a "Family Show", so before those of you who are gay or belong to the LGBT community get on my case, let me make something very clear to you:

 

I have absolutely nothing against the gay community as I have many friends who are gay. This isn't about that, is about the show and what it was supposed to represent and the audience it was supposed to be directed at.

 

Like I said, this show began as a family show, which means little girls, little boys, teens would be watching it, as well as some adults. In the beginning it was great, but then they shifted to the lesbian/gay story lines and all of the sudden, we see two women kissing each other on a show that was supposed to be a "Family Oriented" show. Now, those parents who were letting their children see this show for what it was, are no longer letting their children see it. Why? Because even though being gay is a norm in our society now, there are still parents out there who think otherwise and now you have millions of families, who at one point supported the show, drop their support because of this. Supergirl was no longer a Family show once that line was crossed. It was a gamble and they knew it. The gamble failed and now they are paying for it. The ratings speak for themselves.

 

I had mentioned this to them on their official YouTube channel last year. I told them they needed to ease down on the lesbian/gay storylines for the sake of the ratings and the fact that the show was supposed to be a family show, not a PG-13 soap opera. 

 

The show went from "The Adventures of Supergirl" to "The Adventures of my Gay Sister Alex". Every episode after Season 3 was just simply bad. Tyler Hoechlin made Season 2 of Supergirl worth watching. Season 3 was good, especially the end of it. The last episode of Season 3 was action-filled and the visuals were amazing, sadly every season after that was bad, for the reason mentioned above. Supergirl became just another, boring soap opera show.

 

There were so many wonderful stories and things they could have adapted from the comics and make the show successful for another few seasons, but instead the writers chose to dive into waters they should have never dove into and damaged the show and it's original vision and direction.

 

Good news is, we will have more "Super" action as Tyler Hoechlin is returning to be Superman full time soon with his own show, and I am quite positive Melissa will make a cameo as Supergirl on his show, just like he did on hers, from time to time, so it won't be the last we see of her character. Let's hope, for the sake of his show, that they don't make the same mistakes they made with Supergirl.

"I have absolutely nothing against the gay community as I have many friends who are gay."

 

And then:

 

"In the beginning it was great, but then they shifted to the lesbian/gay story lines and all of the sudden, we see two women kissing each other on a show that was supposed to be a "Family Oriented" show."

 

Spoiler alert: You do.

 

Get back to me when you shriek about "family oriented" when a straight couple kiss. 

 

Also Arrowverse has been edgy and less family oriented, since, well, the getgo. Gay relationships have been common place on it, and not just on Supergirl. 

 

Edit: laugh all you want, your entire post goes into a rant about how LGBT the show is, but yeah, you've got nothing against gays... sure Jan.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shockz said:

"I have absolutely nothing against the gay community as I have many friends who are gay."

 

And then:

 

"In the beginning it was great, but then they shifted to the lesbian/gay story lines and all of the sudden, we see two women kissing each other on a show that was supposed to be a "Family Oriented" show."

 

Spoiler alert: You do.

 

Get back to me when you shriek about "family oriented" when a straight couple kiss. 

You really have issues. I said it once, and I'll say it again: THIS IS NOT about being gay or not, this is about the show and its original direction and the audience it was aimed at. Don't sit there and try to make it look as if this is about being against gay TV shows because it's not gonna work. There is a place and time for everything and Supergirl, which again, was mostly aimed at young girls and boys, was not the place for LGBT themes so get over yourself and your hate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to split hairs, but just because there are LBGTQ+ oriented story lines in the series it doesn't make it a "Family Show".  Families no longer are just considered heterosexual couples and thier children.

 

Supergirl started to incorporate and address LBFGTQ+ and hatred that existed in the world today and as the ratings told, it didn't go over well.

 

Hopefully along with appearances in Superman & Lois that she also appears in other DC shows as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, spacelordmaster said:

You really have issues. I said it once, and I'll say it again: THIS IS NOT about being gay or not, this is about the show and its original direction and the audience it was aimed at. Don't sit there and try to make it look as if this is about being against gay TV shows because it's not gonna work. There is a place and time for everything and Supergirl, which again, was mostly aimed at young girls and boys, was not the place for LGBT themes so get over yourself and your hate.

lmao, yeah, no. No issues here... just calling out a phobe when I see it. Try and justify it all you want, again, arrowverse has always been edgy and pushed the envelope for conservative "family values". The main reason is for Supergirl failing is the storylines absolutely sucked, not because LGBTs were represented on the show. Give me a break. It suffered from what every arrowverse show has had issues with, losing steam two seasons in, and recycling plot a and b over and over again. I'm still shocked Arrow went on for as long as it did (which btw, had plenty of LGBT plots, there goes your theory). 

 

Go ahead and tell all your "many friends who are gay" your thoughts on why Supergirl was canned. I'm sure most of them will give you a great eye roll and inside think, why am I friends with this guy?

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, shockz said:

lmao, yeah, no. No issues here... just calling out a phobe when I see it. Try and justify it all you want, again, arrowverse has always been edgy and pushed the envelope for conservative "family values". The main reason is for Supergirl failing is the storylines absolutely sucked, not because LGBTs were represented on the show. Give me a break. It suffered from what every arrowverse show has had issues with, losing steam two seasons in, and recycling plot a and b over and over again. I'm still shocked Arrow went on for as long as it did (which btw, had plenty of LGBT plots, there goes your theory). 

 

Go ahead and tell all your "many friends who are gay" your thoughts on why Supergirl was canned. I'm sure most of them will give you a great eye roll and inside think, why am I friends with this guy?

You are obviously a little too sensitive to have an adult conversation of this type without being on the defensive and rude so let's leave it at that as I have no time for immature comments such as yours. Come back when you grow up more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, spacelordmaster said:

You are obviously a little too sensitive to have an adult conversation of this type without being on the defensive and rude so let's leave it at that as I have no time for immature comments such as yours. Come back when you grow up more.

lol, your entire premise was rude. Pot. Kettle. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, shockz said:

lol, your entire premise was rude. Pot. Kettle. 

You are the only one here that has found it rude, so........Whatever you say sweetheart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started getting bored with it during season 1 ... gave up halfway through the second season. The actors and actresses were fine..but I started given up watching 20+ episode seasons of anything.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Steven P. unlocked this topic
  • 8 months later...

I just finished watching the latest, boring episode of the last season and I can clearly see why this show is being cancelled. It has run out of steam. The writers have gotten lazy, the plots make no sense and the stories are just plain boring.

 

Making Supergirl's sister turn into a hero is the stupidest thing anyone has come up with, but even more stupid and ridiculous than that is the fact they are turning her stupid sister's girlfriend into Guardian. It just doesn't get any more ridiculous than this.

 

The Martian Manhunter no longer turns into his alien self because their budget has been cut drastically and it costs a lot of money to turn him so he now only wears his silly custom. We hardly see Supergirl fly anymore and the CGI effects are just plain horrible. I really miss the previous two seasons. They were the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my personal opinion on why this show sank like the Titanic, and please tell me if you agree or not. It's ok.

 

When this show premiered, it was great. The stories were very good. The characters. Everything was about Supergirl, especially the episodes where Superman made his cameos. That was good. Great visuals. Great story. Lots of action, but then something happened:

 

They went into LGBT land and everything went straight to hell. Mind you, this is supposed to be a "Family Show", so before those of you who are gay or belong to the LGBT community get on my case, let me make something very clear to you:

 

I have absolutely nothing against the gay community as I have many friends who are gay and I love them to death. This isn't about that, is about the show and what it was supposed to represent and the audience it was supposed to be directed at.

 

Like I said, this show began as a family show, which means little girls, little boys, teens would be watching it, as well as some adults. In the beginning it was great, but then they shifted to the lesbian/gay story lines and all of the sudden, we see two women kissing each other on a show that was supposed to be a "Family Oriented" show. Now, those parents who were letting their children see this show for what it was, are no longer letting their children see it. Why? Because even though being gay is a norm in our society now, there are still parents out there who think otherwise and now you have millions of families, who at one point supported the show, drop their support because of this. Supergirl was no longer a Family show once that line was crossed. It was a gamble and they knew it. The gamble failed and now they are paying for it. The ratings speak for themselves.

 

I had mentioned this to them on their official YouTube channel last year. I told them they needed to ease down on the lesbian/gay story lines for the sake of the ratings and the fact that the show was supposed to be a family show, not a PG-13 soap opera.

 

The show went from "The Adventures of Supergirl" to "The Adventures of my Gay Sister Alex". Every episode after Season 3 was just simply bad. Tyler Hoechlin made Season 2 of Supergirl worth watching. Season 3 was good, especially the end of it. The last episode of Season 3 was action-filled and the visuals were amazing, sadly every season after that was bad, for the reason mentioned above. Supergirl became just another, boring soap opera show.

 

There were so many wonderful stories and things they could have adapted from the comics and make the show successful for another few seasons, but instead the writers chose to dive into waters they should have never dove into and damaged the show and it's original vision and direction.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 seasons isn't a bad run for what is arguably a minor DC character.    I'd say it did fine for the network overall.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/09/2021 at 04:37, George P said:

6 seasons isn't a bad run for what is arguably a minor DC character.    I'd say it did fine for the network overall.  

 

On 09/09/2021 at 04:52, Nick H. said:

I'm getting the strangest sense of deja vu from these latest posts... :laugh:

I really wish the would have stayed away from the Lesbian story lines as they lost a lot of family-oriented audiences because of it, and continue the show the way it was, family oriented,  when it first started. So many Supergirl comic book stories they could have brought to the small screen and they screwed it all up when the writers forgot there were children and teenagers watching this show and not just adults.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.