'Supergirl' Canceled: Why the CW Show is Ending After Six Seasons

On 09/09/2021 at 12:01, spacelordmaster said:

I really wish the would have stayed away from the Lesbian story lines as they lost a lot of family-oriented audiences because of it, and continue the show the way it was, family oriented,  when it first started. So many Supergirl comic book stories they could have brought to the small screen and they screwed it all up when the writers forgot there were children and teenagers watching this show and not just adults.

It's on the CW though, isn't that mostly targeting horny teens and young adults to begin with?  

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 11:01, spacelordmaster said:

I really wish the would have stayed away from the Lesbian story lines as they lost a lot of family-oriented audiences because of it, and continue the show the way it was, family oriented,  when it first started. So many Supergirl comic book stories they could have brought to the small screen and they screwed it all up when the writers forgot there were children and teenagers watching this show and not just adults.

I've got no idea what's being discussed, I didn't watch it. But my point is that your personal opinion about why it sank like the titanic was posted word for word by you almost a year ago in this thread. And also about a year ago George posted that the show had 6 seasons which was "a good run." :laugh:

• Like 2

On 09/09/2021 at 08:25, spacelordmaster said:

Making Supergirl's sister turn into a hero is the stupidest thing anyone has come up with, but even more stupid and ridiculous than that is the fact they are turning her stupid sister's girlfriend into Guardian. It just doesn't get any more ridiculous than this.

I guess you don't watch any other CW superhero shows such as The Spartan, Black Canary, White Canary, Wild Dog, Mister Terrific, Atom, Speedy and Arsenal show with special guest appearance by the Green Arrow. Or The Vibe/Mecha-Vibe, Killer Frost, Kid Flash, Elongated Man, XS, Firestorm, Jesse Quick and Gypsy Show with special appearance by Iris and Barry as the Flash.

Being a superhero on the CW is more contagious than COVID19! 

On 23/09/2020 at 13:51, techbeck said:

Got burned out on all the Superhero movies and TV shows .  Seems Hollywood cannot do much else anymore.  Except for maybe The Boys which takes a diff spin on Superheros.   CW just started packing the shows.  The Flash, Super Girl, Arrow, Legends of  Tomorrow, Black Lighting, Star Girl....  And then you have the cross over episodes that if you do not watch pretty much most of these shows, you miss out on some story lines.

Totally agree with getting burned out on all the super hero shows. Only one that I ever liked and watched was Smallville. Really hoped I could've gotten into The Flash, as he's always been my favorite super hero, but most of these type shows are just stupid, IMO. Never watched a single episode of Supergirl as just seeing the commercials was enough for me to just say yuck!!

I guess if I was still into doing drugs, I could've gotten into the far fetched crap these shows had! Same with most movies now a days. You have to be totally stoned to enjoy them, I guess.

I liked that show at the beginning and then they merged all shows to the same universe, and things became... mundane. It just got boring...

I normally love Superhero stuff, but the CW (in general) is just too Soap Opera for me.

As for the whole "gay" debate going on... here's my problem with it.

1. When you've obviously forced a gay, black, whatever other than White Male, you're just

as bigoted and racist as those you claim to be fighting against. And yes, that IS going on

right now. Hell, they want to force it into contracts that a specific percentage of employees

MUST be Female, or Black, or whatever other than White Male. Forced racism is no better than any other racism. 

2. It just lazy/stupid writing when you can't come up with a good Gay, Black, Female, whatever other than White Male

character for your story, and instead have to take what someone else has done and mold it into your agenda.

Oh, you can't create an interesting gay character, so you have to make Spider-Man gay? Can't write a good black

superhero, so Superman has to become black? Etc. 

On 09/09/2021 at 03:32, spacelordmaster said:

Here's my personal opinion on why this show sank like the Titanic, and please tell me if you agree or not. It's ok.

When this show premiered, it was great. The stories were very good. The characters. Everything was about Supergirl, especially the episodes where Superman made his cameos. That was good. Great visuals. Great story. Lots of action, but then something happened:

They went into LGBT land and everything went straight to hell. Mind you, this is supposed to be a "Family Show", so before those of you who are gay or belong to the LGBT community get on my case, let me make something very clear to you:

I have absolutely nothing against the gay community as I have many friends who are gay and I love them to death. This isn't about that, is about the show and what it was supposed to represent and the audience it was supposed to be directed at.

Like I said, this show began as a family show, which means little girls, little boys, teens would be watching it, as well as some adults. In the beginning it was great, but then they shifted to the lesbian/gay story lines and all of the sudden, we see two women kissing each other on a show that was supposed to be a "Family Oriented" show. Now, those parents who were letting their children see this show for what it was, are no longer letting their children see it. Why? Because even though being gay is a norm in our society now, there are still parents out there who think otherwise and now you have millions of families, who at one point supported the show, drop their support because of this. Supergirl was no longer a Family show once that line was crossed. It was a gamble and they knew it. The gamble failed and now they are paying for it. The ratings speak for themselves.

I had mentioned this to them on their official YouTube channel last year. I told them they needed to ease down on the lesbian/gay story lines for the sake of the ratings and the fact that the show was supposed to be a family show, not a PG-13 soap opera.

The show went from "The Adventures of Supergirl" to "The Adventures of my Gay Sister Alex". Every episode after Season 3 was just simply bad. Tyler Hoechlin made Season 2 of Supergirl worth watching. Season 3 was good, especially the end of it. The last episode of Season 3 was action-filled and the visuals were amazing, sadly every season after that was bad, for the reason mentioned above. Supergirl became just another, boring soap opera show.

There were so many wonderful stories and things they could have adapted from the comics and make the show successful for another few seasons, but instead the writers chose to dive into waters they should have never dove into and damaged the show and it's original vision and direction.

Totally agree with you there. I basically had to stop watching it in front of my kids due to this. In addition to this the relationships Alex had was so forced. The character's didn't have much chemistry between them to begin with. And don't get me started on the Brainiac/Dream Girl relationship. Lastly they kept trying way too hard to bring real world issues into the show. For instance during 2016 they did all they could to promote Linda Carter (former Wonder Woman) to the president of the USA. When clinton lost to trump they had to change this really quick. She got exposed as being an Alien making her ineligible for the POTUS position. They made the Vice POTUS the POTUS but he was pretty much a copy paste of trump in alot of ways. The one redeeming thing they had on the show was actually Lex Luthor. I had my doubts about the actor who played him but he pulled it off beautifully. 

• 2 months later...

Quoting Daniel Craig's words:

"I rather slice my wrists than do this again."

Supergirl's final season was an absolute disaster, but the final episode was the cream of the bad crop. What a horribly written episode. What a total waste of the talent. It was more boring than an episode of Guiding Light. For the past 3 seasons the writers had been getting lazy. Their creativity went straight to rings of hell. The episodes kept getting less and less interesting and the visuals less and less due to budget cuts. We hardly saw Supergirl doing anything anymore like in Season 1-3. I don't know what happened to this show but it was a horrible way to end the series. I think the beautiful Melissa Benoist deserved more respect than that.