My thoughts / mini review of the Chromecast with Google TV

+warwagon

Yesterday at Walmart I purchased the "Chromecast with Android TV". Thought I would give you my thoughts on it. The User interface is different than Android TV. The Remote is nice and compact. It allows me to control my soundbar as well as allows me to turn my TV on and off with the remote. once setup it also allows me to use my google home to turn my tv on and off as well "Ok Google, turn on my TV".

In the view below, when I start playing a video with the sideloaded "S YouTube" app, you may see it say "Loading" shortly after I start playing video. that's because I was only playing 1 second of it and I hit the back button. For some reason when you hit the back button, to go back to your video list it says loading, so you have to press Back twice.

One thing I didn't mention in the video which is REALLY nice, is you tie your Google Photos to the chromecast too, and for a screensaver it displays your photos. You can tell it which people you want to show up on the screen saver.

If you look online you can also plug a USB C hub into it, which gives you thinks like ethernet, and USB storage. In my case my wifi was working well, mostly because that white thing to the left of the TV is my wifi.

All in all i'm really impressed and I'm not sure i'm going to go back to my Roku Ultra any time soon.

• Like 3
  • +warwagon changed the title to My thoughts / mini reviw of the Chromecast with Google TV
MS Bob 10

Did you try to make various formats play like e.g. VP9+Opus audio in WebM, or HEVC+AAC in MKV, or H.264+MP3 in AVI/MP4?  Do they all play?  Also how's the latency on audio or video?

mrchetsteadman
27 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yesterday at Walmart I purchased the "Chromecast with Android TV". Thought I would give you my thoughts on it. The User interface is different than Android TV. The Remote is nice and compact. It allows me to control my soundbar as well as allows me to turn my TV on and off with the remote. once setup it also allows me to use my google home to turn my tv on and off as well "Ok Google, turn on my TV".

In the view below, when I start playing a video with the sideloaded "S YouTube" app, you may see it say "Loading" shortly after I start playing video. that's because I was only playing 1 second of it and I hit the back button. For some reason when you hit the back button, to go back to your video list it says loading, so you have to press Back twice.

One thing I didn't mention in the video which is REALLY nice, is you tie your Google Photos to the chromecast too, and for a screensaver it displays your photos. You can tell it which people you want to show up on the screen saver.

If you look online you can also plug a USB C hub into it, which gives you thinks like ethernet, and USB storage. In my case my wifi was working well, mostly because that white thing to the left of the TV is my wifi.

All in all i'm really impressed and I'm not sure i'm going to go back to my Roku Ultra any time soon.

Okay so I'm not crazy. I bought this by accident because I was trying to avoid buying an Apple TV for $200 just to watch HBO Max. I love this ###### so damn much and I felt bad about that lol. 

tsupersonic

Good stuff. But, I already have a Roku, ChromeCast, Xbox, and just one TV. Don't need another box for now. I was tempted to get it, because it comes with 6 months of Netflix, so it'd be like $12 for the device itself. 

+warwagon
1 hour ago, MS Bob 10 said:

Did you try to make various formats play like e.g. VP9+Opus audio in WebM, or HEVC+AAC in MKV, or H.264+MP3 in AVI/MP4?  Do they all play?  Also how's the latency on audio or video?

So at the moment, I have it connected to wifi, I installed kodi but didn't try playing any videos. I'm sure someone has a video on youtube trying that.

16 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Good stuff. But, I already have a Roku, ChromeCast, Xbox, and just one TV. Don't need another box for now. I was tempted to get it, because it comes with 6 months of Netflix, so it'd be like $12 for the device itself. 

Do you watch a lot of youtube?

tsupersonic
6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Do you watch a lot of youtube?

Yes sir I do.

• +warwagon changed the title to My thoughts / mini review of the Chromecast with Google TV
jdlarson83

that other button is to change inputs on your tv

margrave

Is there anyway to attach an external usb drive?

Brandon H

Thread Cleaned - discussions of how to bypass ads is not allowed per community guidelines

+warwagon
21 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Thread Cleaned - discussions of how to bypass ads is not allowed per community guidelines

Oops I always thought you just couldn’t talk about bypassing neowin’s ads

Brandon H
15 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Oops I always thought you just couldn’t talk about bypassing neowin’s ads

we discussed it a bit just to be on the same page in our admin section and all agreed that it's a blanket guideline so not to come off as biased.

we figured that may have been your thought process as well.

on topic though I think I heard that new UI will be coming to other Android TV devices too once Android TV 11 starts rolling out. It does look nice.

I hope it's true and will be coming to the Nvidia Shield devices too :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra unboxing and first impressions
      by João Carrasqueira

Back in August, Samsung introduced this year's member of the Galaxy Note series, stepping it up to the Note20 and Note20 Ultra. The company has sent us over the latter, and it comes in the new Mystic Bronze color, which Samsung is using across its entire lineup of devices this year.

In Europe, the Galaxy Note20 Ultra is powered by an Exynos 990 chipset, featuring two cores at 2.75GHz, two at 2.5GHz, and four power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores at 2GHz. It has 12GB of RAM, and it comes with 256GB of internal storage, a configuration that's also not available in the U.S., where the only options are 128GB or 512GB. This variant costs €1,339 in Portugal or £1,179 in the UK.

It has a huge 6.9-inch QHD+ display, now with a 120Hz refresh rate, though this only works in Full HD+. As usual for the Note family, it comes with an S Pen, and this time, thanks to the increased refresh rate, it should have lower latency than last year's models. The phone also has some new pen-related features, such as text recognition for handwritten notes, or the ability to convert them to plain text. This is still a wireless S Pen with a battery, so it still supports air gestures and you can use it as a remote shutter for the camera on the phone.

The camera setup is very similar to the Galaxy S series from earlier in the year, featuring a 108MP primary camera, a 12MP wide-angle lens, and a 12MP periscope telephoto camera, with up to 50x digital zoom. There's a 10MP camera on in a punch-hole on the front.

We're also taking a look at the Galaxy Buds Live, the new truly wireless earbuds introduced alongside the Galaxy Note20 Ultra. They're the first Galaxy Buds with active noise cancellation, and they feature a new bean-like design. There are also features like a dedicated voice pickup unit to activate Bixby with voice. Check out our hands-on video below.

• By News Staff
      Get the Complete Microsoft Azure eBook & Video Course Bundle for just $29.99
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 95% off this Complete Microsoft Azure eBook & Video Course Bundle. Lead your business towards success with 15+ hours of video content and six eBooks on Azure cloud solutions, integration, networks, and more.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

Implementing Azure Solutions [eBook]
      Deploy & Manage Azure Containers and Build Azure Solutions with Ease Serverless Integration Design Patterns with Azure [eBook]
      Build Powerful Cloud Solutions That Sustain Next-Generation Products Azure Networking Cookbook [eBook]
      Distribute Network Traffic, Optimize Application Delivery & Defend Network-Level Threats Azure PowerShell Quick Start Guide [eBook]
      Leverage PowerShell to Perform Many Day-to-Day Tasks in Microsoft Azure Migrating Applications to the Cloud with Azure [eBook]
      Modernize Your Apps with Microsoft Azure by Moving Web, Desktop, & Mobile Apps to the Cloud Mastering Identity & Access Management with Microsoft Azure [eBook]
      Empower Users by Managing & Protecting Identities and Data DevOps with Azure [Video]
      Plan, Manage & Monitor Your Applications with Azure Modernize Node.js Web Apps with Azure App Service [Video]
      Refactor Nodes.js Web Apps & Deploy, Scale, and Monitor Them on Azure App Store Azure Platform as a Service, Web & API Application Deployment [Video]
      Build, Manage & Deploy Your Own PaaS Cloud with Help of Azure Services Azure Cognitive Services for Developers [Video]
      Make Your Applications Smarter, The Easy Way with Azure Cognitive Services Good to know
      Updates included Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For terms, certification and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Complete Microsoft Azure eBook & Video Course Bundle normally costs $703 but it can be yours for only $29.99, that's a saving of $673.01 (95%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 77% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      This Complete Project Management eBook & Video Course Bundle is only $29.99
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals website, where you can save 95% off the Complete Project Management eBook & Video Course Bundle. Manage your projects and deliver results efficiently with 7 eBooks and 8 hours of video content on Jira, CompTIA Project+, Redmine, and more.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

Jira 8 Essentials [eBook]
      Implement & Manage Your Projects in Jira 8 with Ease CompTIA Project+ Certification Guide [eBook]
      Develop Creative Solutions for Complex Issues Faced in Project Management Mastering Redmine Second Edition [eBook]
      Effectively Monitor & Manage Large-Scale, Complex Projects Using Redmine Redmine Cookbook [eBook]
      Valuable Recipes to Get the Best Possible Performance Out of Your Team, Organization, Infrastructure, & Redmine Itself Redis Essentials [eBook]
      Utilize All the Essential Features of Redis to Optimize Your Project's Performance Mastering JIRA 7 [eBook]
      Explore Best Practices & Troubleshooting Techniques with JIRA Jira 8 Recipes [Video]
      Gain Solid Foundation in Jira & Use It Efficiently to Improve Your Team's Productivity Jira 8 Administration Cookbook [eBook]
      Have the Skills You Need to Extend & Customize Your Jira Implementation Effectively Creating & Running an Agile Project in JIRA [Video]
      Develop a Great Working Knowledge of JIRA & Manage Your Projects More Efficient ServiceNow IT Operations Management [Video]
      Achieve Improved Availability, Immediate Visibility of Vital Business Services & Much More Good to know
      Updates included Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, terms, and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Complete Project Management eBook & Video Course Bundle normally costs $614, but you can pick it up for just $29.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $584.01 (95%) off!

>> Click here to purchase, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Online Courses on offer. This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway
      The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Izlude
      lol, what, huh? why??? a random review came on from some playlist i was watching, it was talking about pooping unicorns... then it played a portion of the video.  here's the whole thing. i actually spat up my coffee in disbelief. at first i thought it was funny, now i'm a bit disturbed :P  not so much at the toy itself, but the actual music video and the lyrics xD oh man...

• By News Staff
      Save 85% off this 1-Hour Remote Teaching Online Crash Course
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can save 85% off this Remote Teaching Online Course. Learn the basics of teaching from home and start recording now with this 1-hour crash course.

While we all have shifted to the norm of doing almost everything at home — working, buying & selling, and even studying — some are still adjusting. This course will teach you everything that will allow you to start recording your first lecture to share it online with your students. You’ll also learn what software is best for presentations and how to share them during lessons. This course is made for complete beginners of lecture recording and not for the people who already know how to do it, even though some advanced users might learn some things here.

Access 7 lectures & 1 hour of content 24/7 Learn how to record audio & video lectures Know which software is the best for presentations Share audio & video files w/ presentations Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: lifetime Certification of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Remote Teaching Online Course normally costs* $199, but you can pick it up for just $28.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $170.01 (85%) off.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Online Courses. This is a time-limited offer.

Not for you?

The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software