Strange boot behavior

Richard C.

Since installing the 20h2 (or maybe slightly before, however it's roughly when this started) I've noticed that if intermittently the system hangs after posting but before starting to boot. This seems to happen if the system has been running for a long time (say 5 hours or so) between restarts. I disabled my bios logo to see if this was an issue with the bios or after the bios has handed control to windows. And the hanging occurs after the windows boot logo shows, but before the spinning circle appears, which spins round once or twice and the I can login as normal.

I've tried changing a few things (such as disabling legacy csm) and it hasn't seemed to of helped. There are no obvious error messages showing in the reliability centre or event logs. 

What's the next to resolving this? Is anyone else having this issue too?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aisoar
      Surface Pro 4 M3
      Windows 10 Pro
      Version: 1909
      OS build: 18363.815

boggle: snap windows function: upon switching virtual button from off to on, closing that window and reopening shows on/off button has switched back to off. restarts and updates have not resolved this issue. all sub options have been selected as activated/deactivated in every combination - windows snap on off returns to off.
    • By masutya
      😄 is the internal and F: is the external disk (pic down below). (The language on my laptop is set in german so i can't name everything correctly)

So i moved all the files into the external disk. In Settings > System > Storage > Change location for new content i've set that everything will save in F:, including applications. I usually use Opera and i download the apps from there, it asks me where to save the setup and i choose F:. But still, it actually saves all the stuff into C:. When i go to Settings > Applications > Apps & Features and filter it to only 😄 it shows the applications i tried to save in F:. Except for the apps in the Microsoft store, they get saved in F:. How can i change that? I appreciate every help.

• By unknownsoldierX
      I've set up OpenVPN server on my Windows 10 machine. When I connect my phone to the VPN using OpenVPN Connect, I can't access SMB or even ping any machine on my network, but I can ping my phone over the VPN from Windows.

My LAN is 192.168.11.0
      VPN subnet is 192.168.12.0

I've configured the Windows Firewall rule "File and Printer sharing (SMB in)" scope to include my VPN subnet.

Server config:
      port 1194 proto tcp dev tun ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\ca.crt" cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\server.crt" key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\server.key" dh "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\dh2048.pem" server 192.168.12.0 255.255.255.0 ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt push "route 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0" keepalive 10 120 key-direction 0 tls-auth "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ta.key" cipher AES-256-CBC persist-key persist-tun status openvpn-status.log verb 3  
      Client config:
      dev tun proto tcp remote mydyndnsdomainhere.net 99999 resolv-retry infinite nobind persist-key persist-tun remote-cert-tls server key-direction 1 cipher AES-256-CBC verb 3 <ca> -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- -----END CERTIFICATE----- </ca> <cert> -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- -----END CERTIFICATE----- </cert> <key> -----BEGIN ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY----- -----END ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY----- </key> key-direction 1 <tls-auth> -----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1----- -----END OpenVPN Static key V1----- </tls-auth>  
    • By Abhay V
      Windows 10 October 2018 Update build 17763.17 heads to Slow and Release Preview rings
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft released the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to “seekers” on October 2nd during its Surface event, completely skipping the Release Preview ring of the Windows Insiders program. However, that didn’t go quite well, as many problems began arising for users who were updating to the newest version of Windows 10. Some issues included minor task manager bugs, but a showstopper bug that was deleting user files meant that the company had to pull the update out of distribution completely.

Today, the firm is rolling out a new build 17763.17 to the Slow and Release Preview rings of the Insider Program. The company states that it has investigated, identified, and fixed all the issues that led to the loss of data for a “few (one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs)” users. The root cause of this issue, as it turns out, is the “Known Folder Redirection” feature that when enabled, moved files from folders such as Documents, Pictures, Desktop, Camera Roll, Screenshots Videos etc. to a new folder, but was deleted from either folders due to some changes made to the logic from the feedback received from Insiders.

The fixes include:

As for users that were affected, the firm says that “Microsoft Support is assisting customers and trying to recover data” and that this support can also be offered by the retail support services in-store. Additionally, you can reach out to the support numbers provided here.

The Feedback Hub did have reports of data loss when the October 2018 Update was in preview. However, they didn’t turn enough eyeballs due to the low upvotes and duplicate entries in the Hub. To make sure to remedy such issues, the Windows Insider team says that it is adding the ability to flag the severity of the feedback that users initiate. This will help the team monitor high severity issues even if they receive low volumes of upvotes and feedback.

Additionally, users that updated to the October 2018 Update received their first cumulative updates (build 17763.55). Today’s Slow Ring and Release Preview ring updates are to test the builds before they are re-released for general distribution.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft fixes accidental Fast ring build availability pop-up served to non-insiders
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft released Redstone 5 build 17751.1 to the Fast ring yesterday. Redstone 5 is the next major feature update to Windows 10, which we learnt will be officially called the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. As the build began rolling out to Insiders, a few people began seeing a toast notification prompting them of the new build. However, it wasn’t just Windows Insiders that were receiving this pop-up, as reports of the notification showing up for non-insiders on production machines too began popping up on Twitter.

As noted by Microsoft’s Brandon LeBlanc on Twitter, the pop-up notification has been around for a while and does not show up very often so as to not bother users with constant notifications. However, non-insiders who have never enrolled in the Insider program too began receiving the notification, creating some confusion.

Clicking on the ‘Update’ option takes you to the Windows Update settings page, but thankfully, does not download the Insider preview automatically. However, it can get confusing for regular users, as the pop-up prompts that an update is available, but does not really do anything. LeBlanc acknowledged that non-insiders should not be seeing the prompt and the issue was quickly fixed.

If you are not a Windows Insider that has signed up for the Fast ring and did see the prompt, there is nothing to worry, as the prompt has nothing to do with your version of Windows 10. If you do see an update, however, then it is most probably the latest cumulative update that went out for users on Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 Update) and version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) on Friday, the 31st of August.

Via Thurrott.com