Fairytale of New York: BBC Radio 1 will not play original version


 Share

Recommended Posts

Because people get offended by the lyrics

Quote

BBC Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl this Christmas, because its audience may be offended by some of the lyrics.

 

The station said young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender and sexuality.

 

 

I mean what the hell is wrong with people? Full article https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Because people get offended by the lyrics

 

I mean what the hell is wrong with people? Full article https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

The station said young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender and sexuality.

Umm, has anyone bothered listening to the so called music that the 'young people' listen to? It's ripe with swear words and derogatory phrases...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But they are still playing the proper version on BBC2? So its ok to censor on BBC1 because some younger people might be offended but more "mature" people can be allowed to make their own mind up? How is that neutral and impartial?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The article doesn't even say that they won't play it.  It says they will give the presenters and edited and unedited version and allow them to choose.  Much as they have done for the last few years.  Total non story!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NJ Louch said:

The article doesn't even say that they won't play it.  It says they will give the presenters and edited and unedited version and allow them to choose.  Much as they have done for the last few years.  Total non story!

There was a concerted effort to get it banned last year tho, and BBC DJ's refusing to play it so I would assume that's as good as saying they have banned it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Daniel F. said:

There was a concerted effort to get it banned last year tho

There was a small number of overly vocal idiots.  It got more press than it warranted.

 

1 minute ago, Daniel F. said:

and BBC DJ's refusing to play

One BBC DJ refused to play it.  One singular regional BBC DJ.

 

1 minute ago, Daniel F. said:

so I would assume that's as good as saying they have banned it

Not even remotely as good as.  You're literally falling into the trap they set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NJ Louch said:

There was a small number of overly vocal idiots.  It got more press than it warranted.

 

One BBC DJ refused to play it.  One singular regional BBC DJ.

 

Not even remotely as good as.  You're literally falling into the trap they set.

That single DJ received a lot of backing from celebrities and middle class "left" enough in fact for a censored version to become the mainly played version - even after the watershed 

 

The main problem I foresee is the twitter brigade will call anyone playing it racist, misogynistic homophobic etc.....all these public figures don't like to lose followers or be told they are anything other than brilliant and virtue signalling. So actually pressure from a small group of naysayers can be enough to force it off air. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

That single DJ received a lot of backing from celebrities and middle class "left" enough in fact for a censored version to become the mainly played version - even after the watershed 

That DJ is probably a massive bellend and a dinlo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

That single DJ received a lot of backing from celebrities and middle class "left"

Overly vocal minority blown out of proportion by the press.

 

48 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

a censored version to become the mainly played version - even after the watershed 

Literally every single time I heard it on the radio (and I listen in the car, background at work, but that's it) I only ever heard the known (uncesored) version.  We litterally waited to see first time we heard it in the office - and they said the word.

 

49 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

The main problem I foresee is the twitter brigade will call anyone playing it racist, misogynistic homophobic etc

And so you let them and ignore them.  It's meaningless.  I've been called a racist for a joke I posted - does it make me a racist because some overly liberal child says so? No.

 

50 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

all these public figures don't like to lose followers or be told they are anything other than brilliant and virtue signalling

I see the same small group of faces saying these things, sure.  But I see more people who literally give zero sh!ts.

 

51 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

So actually pressure from a small group of naysayers can be enough to force it off air. 

Which has never happened.

 

Mate I absolutely share your sentiments, but you are genuinely falling for the trap the media sets for you!  None of the things you say have actually influenced anything.  The uncensored version has been played ad-nauseum (because I feel the song is played out now anyway) since it's resurgence around 2008.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.