My external monitor suddenly isn't working and found out on my device manager that AMD radeon graphics has a "code 43"

my laptop has an AMD ryzen 7 4800H with integrated AMD radeon graphics, a GTX 1660 TI, my OS is in windows 10. My laptop has a 144hz display and an external monitor (60hz) that is connected to my laptop which works PERFECTLY FINE before everything.

So on my laptop screen, DOTA 2 was open while in my external monitor/display, I have my Discord and website open. I was just watching youtube vids when suddenly my monitor froze then laptop display turned blue with text saying " ;( windows ran into a problem" or something like that. At first I thought it was the fabled blue screen that breaks your computer but to my suprise it just automatically restarted my laptop, upon typing my password on my lockscreen, I noticed that my external monitor isn't working and that my laptop display looks weird. So, I asked a friend and told me to check my device manager and I saw that my AMD Radeon Graphics has this "code 43" thing, so he said to just update my drivers and update my windows software, so I did all that and its still there. I did a little exploring myself on my laptop and found that my laptop display was using MS basic display and that it was on 1hz, now I was panicking because I was thinking that my driver is broken or gone, so he told me to try using the one on the AMD website that updates drivers, and so I did that but still nothing. As for the monitor, I tried trouble shooting it, connecting-disconnecting it, force detecting with settings, using the "add device" button under "Bluetooth and other devices"  still nothing, I really dont know what to do. I dont even know what happened before the blue screen

I seen people uninstall their drivers then install it or using the roll back options but idk, what if something happened to my laptop, I dont wanna risk it ;(

OK, first off, how is the monitor connected to the laptop? (HDMI, Display port, etc) second, you said that you have integrated graphics as well as a GTX 1660. Have you checked that the Nvidia drivers are current, version 460.89 is the most current. Also I would attempt to disable the integrated graphics or the Nvidia, and see if the display comes back. I found this website that talks about the error 43, and how to potentially fix it. Also check AMD and see if your drivers are up to date, as that can cause issues as well. Third, check and see if there a specific driver for the external monitor, sometimes that can fix issues as well. As a last result, download and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and let it clean the system of all display drivers, and then reinstall them.

do you have any files in your log folder? ALL BSODs are saved there. We need the exact 000X000## code so we can help you :)

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

do you have any files in your log folder? ALL BSODs are saved there. We need the exact 000X000## code so we can help you :)

Forgot about that, he can download Whocrashed (this is a direct link to the download)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, first off, how is the monitor connected to the laptop? (HDMI, Display port, etc) second, you said that you have integrated graphics as well as a GTX 1660. Have you checked that the Nvidia drivers are current, version 460.89 is the most current. Also I would attempt to disable the integrated graphics or the Nvidia, and see if the display comes back. I found this website that talks about the error 43, and how to potentially fix it. Also check AMD and see if your drivers are up to date, as that can cause issues as well. Third, check and see if there a specific driver for the external monitor, sometimes that can fix issues as well. As a last result, download and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and let it clean the system of all display drivers, and then reinstall them.

The monitor is connected using HDMI cables, I checked my nvidia drivers and no, they are not updated (installing the updated drive right now). About the disabling of integrated graphics or nvidia, I dont know how to and I'm scared it might affect something, so I might do that as a last resort. I checked the website you sent that talks about code 43, I did about 2 of the methods, the others require uninstalling the drives, updating the motherboard, and flashing(?) which I myself dont know what the outcome may be so I didnt do those. I dont think my monitor has a specific driver. Ill also do the DDU as last resort. (update just installed, im about to restart to check if there are any difference)

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I downloaded the app, do you mean the bugcheck code? I'm not sure, I'm not familiar with those lol

11 hours ago, Vindicta said:

I downloaded the app, do you mean the bugcheck code? I'm not sure, I'm not familiar with those lol

Open Whocrashed, and press the button that says Analyze, then it will instruct you to scroll down and see the results. It will then give you an idea as to what caused the BSOD,

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Open Whocrashed, and press the button that says Analyze, then it will instruct you to scroll down and see the results. It will then give you an idea as to what caused the BSOD,

here you go,

image.png

16 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

here it is image.thumb.png.71331d3855754e9a37df451d8a48f173.png

Yeah, that's a Memory problem...

Try running MemTest. It's on a bootable CD/USB. Run it for at least one cycle, see what it brings up. Overnight is preferred. Try running this with only ONE stick at a time. If it's just one stick, you can refurb the bad one, or can still use the system with your remaining stick.

ANY warnings, your memory is bad, need to buy new ones.

Exactly what I just determined from the dump files. Hardware.sys so either CPU or RAM, and considering one of the errors was Memory Management, I would say it is a strong possibility that you have bad RAM modules.

Update: I slept just before the replies so, sorry for that but before I slept I shut down my laptop then for some odd reason after waking up just now and opening my laptop code 43 was gone, my display were connected to my radeon graphics instead of the MS basic display, as well as my external monitor being detected and can be used by my laptop for some reason. I dont know what I did yesterday but I followed some of you guys' tips, maybe one of those fixed the code 43. As for the RAM problem, I didnt expect to run into ANY PROBLEMS really, especially because my laptop is pretty brand new (bought about last week of november or first week of december) but I'll try and find guides on how to use the MemTest that Mr. mindovermaster was saying so I could avoid more BSOD and heartattacks xD. Just wanna say thanks right now because idk what might happen I do the test lol

• Like 1

Good to hear that it is working like it is supposed to. It will not hurt anything to run Memtest,it's just to rule out the RAM being the issue. I have had brand new out of the package RAM that ended up testing bad > month, so you can never be too careful and check everything, even if it highly unlikely that it could be the problem. Even with years of experience of building computers, I have found that sometimes it is the smallest, most obscure thing that causes the biggest problems, like something not screwed down all the way, or a cable not completely plugged in, and have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out what happened, only to discover something minute like the a fore mentioned items!

• Like 1

To what JNelson said, do the memtest, anyway. Even though it may work fine again, you might come across this same error.

I had several RAM sticks that went bad. The system would work, but not to it's full potential. RMA or replace. Will save you more times than you know.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

@Vindicta

I'm facing the same issue with my zephyrus g14 

I was working suddenly thought to clean dust from my table so I turn it off my clean the computer table and stand 

After it I plugged my laptop In 

It's detects my external monitor but no but video output 

I have perform have perform hdmi cable replace tried on different monitor 

Also updated my integrated amd and dedicated graphics driver 

Upon latest driver of amd its says black screen crash bug report 

Please help me out