The web is becoming an annoying garbagefest

If you aren't catfished into clicking on BS headlines that claim something and then end up being nothing more than clickbait with nothing of what is claimed in the headline (like for example "Air date for Strange New Worlds" and then it ends up claiming "sometime in 2021" those sort of articles). I immediately block these sites from Google News, which is mainly where it happens for me.

Here are some annoyances in no particular order

• Random captchas showing up on sites I visit every week (like for example my local supermarket order online) without VPN, why then?
  • North American sites denying entry for visitors from the EU (seriously F*** YOU!)
  • GDPR cookie banner annoyance

Yes I do have an extension to bypass GDPR cookie warnings, but while it works in 80% of the time, it creates an additional annoyance on sites it doesn't work on by disabling the page altogether until I disable it manually for that site and reload the page/accept the cookies.

Honestly, people couldn't be more annoying if they tried with just these examples.

Its almost unusable on a cheaper mobile phone unless on a network running filters. Only going to get worse as big Telecom, Media and Tech continue to morph the internet into a tightly controlled, interactive, IP friendly, walled garden portal to their paid services.

• Telecom with their caps are controlling what you do with your connection.
  • Media is strangling content available and influencing independent thought.
  • Tech is making devices less repairable, proprietary, restricted and disposable. You own less and less as cloud offerings take over.

Government is backing them up all the way. 

Edited by JustGeorge
  • Like 1

I think point 2 and 3 are related, aren't they? Because of GDPR websites need to provide the cookie banner, and also some sites in N.A. deny visitors from the EU because they don't want to have to deal with GDPR requests?

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

I think point 2 and 3 are related, aren't they? Because of GDPR websites need to provide the cookie banner, and also some sites in N.A. deny visitors from the EU because they don't want to have to deal with GDPR requests?

we flat out blocked the EU because of GDPR and since we don't do any real business with them minus Loyds of london (not even really the EU now anwyays)  we just geofiltered out as best as we can to avoid the whole hassel... but of course now California and Massachusetts are pushing similar things so we might just end up there anyways

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

If you aren't catfished into clicking on BS headlines that claim something and then end up being nothing more than clickbait with nothing of what is claimed in the headline (like for example "Air date for Strange New Worlds" and then it ends up claiming "sometime in 2021" those sort of articles). I immediately block these sites from Google News, which is mainly where it happens for me.

• Random captchas showing up on sites I visit every week (like for example my local supermarket order online) without VPN, why then?
  • North American sites denying entry for visitors from the EU (seriously F*** YOU!)

Yes I do have an extension to bypass GDPR cookie warnings, but while it works in 80% of the time, it creates an additional annoyance on sites it doesn't work on by disabling the page altogether until I disable it manually for that site and reload the page/accept the cookies.

Honestly, people couldn't be more annoying if they tried with just these examples.

They likely are using an API that costs them per use, and bots rack up the costs, big time. I had to do it for one of our clients after a bot ate up their API call allotment in a couple days, that were meant for an entire month.

Here is my annoyance to add to the list: sites that have more ads than content.

• Like 2

Yeah, the internet has become one giant shitshow. A lot like how it was in the mid 2000s, but worse. I had to disable my adblocker a while back to test something, forgotten that I did that.. Holy crap, the internet is so unusable without one. When you click on pages, you get full screen popups on mobile asking you to signup for the news letter, dozens of AdChoice ads everything, ads with videos that play automatically.. Then, don't forget security.. Tons of databases not secure, everyone getting hacked, not knowing it.. Then, you have companies that are just selling your data.. a lot more than people realize.. it isn't just the big and mighty MSFT, Amazon, Google, ect.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You know, some of that clickbait is here....

It is minimal here and when it happens usually an Editor was asleep at the wheel and we end up having to edit the headline properly, unlike some other sites it isn't a Neowin policy to be misleading with our news coverage.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Steven P. said:

It is minimal here and when it happens usually an Editor was asleep at the wheel and we end up having to edit the headline properly, unlike some other sites it isn't a Neowin policy to be misleading with our news coverage.

So should I report these when I see them in the future?

I am curious though, why isn't this site using Facebook/Twitter trackers? Thought you'd want to scoop as much info as you could for marketing "research"..  I mean, it's awesome that you don't, but if your going to be good with privacy, you should let people know.. they may actually want to support this site. 

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

<snipped>

Ironic comment considering the post. I am sorry, I guess you are the only one allowed to have an opinion here.

Yep, definitely some salt.

Edit: Nice stealth edit on your part. I guess I will start reporting you since that gets everyone else a warning.

What boggles my mind are the sites that STILL think people want auto play videos. Do they really think people say 

"WOW, an video that started playing all by itself as I was trying to read the article on the page, it really helped me get engaged in the article."

for me personally, it makes me want to never return to their site!

5 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

I am curious though, why isn't this site using Facebook/Twitter trackers? Thought you'd want to scoop as much info as you could for marketing "research"..  I mean, it's awesome that you don't, but if your going to be good with privacy, you should let people know.. they may actually want to support this site. 

We can't really claim to be white knight privacy champions when we use ads, skimlinks (inserts affiliate links on product names) and we also use Google Analytics for traffic insights. Facebook and Twitter have had a sort of privacy conscience kick in the butt these past couple of years thanks to Cambridge Analytica and what 3rd party websites can collect on Facebook and Twitter users are restricted further and further to the point our integrations is purely for the purpose of being able to create a user account and login here.

GDPR took care of the rest.

Just now, warwagon said:

What also boggles my mind are the sites that STILL think people want auto play videos. Do they really think people say 

"WOW, an video that started playing all by itself as I was trying to read the article on the page, it really helped me get engaged in the article."

for me personally, it makes me want to never return to their site!"

Yeah, that's crazy annoying. Or just video ads without audio.. 

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

What also boggles my mind are the sites that STILL think people want auto play videos. Do they really think people say 

for me personally, it makes me want to never return to their site!"

That 100% ensures I will  not return.

• Like 1

Just now, fusi0n said:

Or just video ads without audio.. 

Video ads that autoplay without audio still payout, and was a requirement from me to our advertiser. When they started with this bright idea they autoplayed audio and I had them disabled until they fixed this oversight. Ads are fine and necessary to pay for things, but when they start taking over the content like others have pointed out, then it's not great at all.

• Like 2

Here is another. Sites that have registration blocks for their content. Not even a paywall, but you have to sign up to continue reading.

Nope...will find another site.

• Like 3

Autoplay videos with sound....they can burn in the fiery pits of hell. 

Nothing infuriates me like having 5/8/77 cranked loud and one of these damn autoplays come up...usually a few decibels above my music.  Mostly happens on news sites (CNN, ABC, Fox, etc.) ... like I can't read the damn article I clicked on.  It must also have the video segment. /sigh

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Autoplay videos with sound....they can burn in the fiery pits of hell. 

Nothing infuriates me like having 5/8/77 cranked loud and one of these damn autoplays come up...usually a few decibels above my music.  Mostly happens on news sites (CNN, ABC, Fox, etc.) ... like I can't read the damn article I clicked on.  It must also have the video segment. /sigh

In the case of Fox, the video that autoplays on the site has NOTHING to do with the article you are trying to read.

3 hours ago, JustGeorge said:

Its almost unusable on a cheaper mobile phone unless on a network running filters. Only going to get worse as big Telecom, Media and Tech continue to morph the internet into a tightly controlled, interactive, IP friendly, walled garden portal to their paid services.

• Telecom with their caps are controlling what you do with your connection.
  • Media is strangling content available and influencing independent thought.
  • Tech is making devices less repairable, proprietary, restricted and disposable. You own less and less as cloud offerings take over.

Government is backing them up all the way. 

This! What a rip off! This month I went over my data limit and they basically forced me to pay $30 for unlimited (either that or $10/ 50GB). Xbox games are basically all over 60GB!

3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I disagree, I think all these things make the web a lot more interesting and fun to use.

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 1