Enthyos

Hello folks,

Hopefully I am in the right section as this issue appeared after my GPU upgrade from a RTX 2080Ti to RTX 3090.

I am encountering an issue with one my most played games (World of Tanks), the client is crashing into a black screen at random times (sound and other programs still run in the background - can use TeamSpeak for example).

This issue only happens in World of Tanks and is reproductible while in battle, does not happen while in idle or just browsing around in the garage interface. No other game I have tried so far gave me any crash - DX11 or 12.

*Did notice a weird thing that went away after the last driver update (v.461.09), the in-game gamma settings were greyed out - so I thought I’d mention this anyways.

I am at a loss here as I have run out of ideas and I can’t seem to figure out if this is an issue with hardware or is it somehow tied to the way the game works.

The crashes began mid-November and since then I have contacted the player and technical support teams @Wargaming – the company behind World of Tanks creating multiple tickets that lead nowhere so far.

My rig config – pc part picker link here.

Age of the computer (hardware) ranging from new – GPU to 1 and a half years old for most of the system hardware.

OS wise the system was installed around 08/19.

Here is a list of things I tried after reading around on the internet on various forums and asking all my tech-savvy friends for help:

§  Updated/Rolled back the GPU drivers using DDU in Safe mode – Not connected to the internet / Windows Drivers Updates off > tried the versions (Studio and Game Ready): 442.74*did not recognize my GPU as expected* - 456.38 - 457.30 - 460.97 (beta) and the latest drivers as well - now running Game Ready 461.09.

§  Made sure my temps are low and there is no overheating - at an ambient temp of roughly 23-4 C degrees - I get to a maximum 71C on GPU and 68/70 CPU side during stress test or even lower temps when just under intense gaming (CoD – Cold War / Metro Exodus for example) - and high 50 C CPU / low 60C on the GPU.

§  Cleaned the registry using CCleaner.

§  Modified the page file system to a higher value and reverted to windows default (32 GB of physical RAM memory should be more than enough- but hey I gave it a shot anyway)

§  Updated the latest chipset drivers from AMD site.

§  Updated the GPU firmware and latest Aorus software.

§  Updated to the latest BIOS (now running F31j)

§  Disabled the XMP Profile in BIOS / and using all stock settings in BIOS.

§  Updated to the latest Creative Sound Blaster sound card drivers

§  Used the windows default recommended sound settings (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Rebooted my router & network devices for a few minutes (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  In Nvidia Control Panel set the game to use Maximum Performance mode as some user recommended in a similar issue with Apex Legends.

§  Disabled G-Sync + gave it a go with V Sync on and off (Using a G-Sync monitor @ 1440p 165hz)

§  Downclocked my GPU using the Aorus tool to the reference RTX 3090 specs.

§  Enabled and tested Low Latency mode

§  Updated to the latest chipset from the AMD site.

§  Tried running the game with no Antialiasing / Off in NVCP as well.

§  Launched the game in Windowed - Windowed borderless - Fullscreen

§  Lowered the resolution from 1440p to 1080p and 720p

§  Tried to run the game with the lowest graphical settings in all the above resolutions

§  Since the game client has the option – tried both x32/x64 clients

§  Tried Compatibility mode Windows 7 & 8

§  Launched the game in safe mode

§  Used both HD and SD client (lower end machines version)

§  Ran the game integrity check (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Added the game as a firewall exception (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Removed the Appdata WoT folder that contains all the game settings (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Reinstalled the game multiple times

§  Made sure the DirectX Suite is up to date

§  Uninstalled Easy Tune Engine Service/ Team Viewer (as suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Disabled & Uninstalled iCue / Aorus Software / RGB Fusion 2 (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Clean booted - Windows Default Only

§  Deleted the cache Nvidia Shader Cache

§  Disabled onboard sound in Device Manager

§  Used a TDR Manipulator  and disabled / reenabled it.

§  Updated my Windows 10 to the latest build 20H2

§  Rather recently replaced my PSU unit (end of 2019)

§  Ran a 3D Mark benchmark (Firestrike Demo) while logging with Hwinfo64 * Sensors Only – Log here (3D Mark Results + Hwinfo64 Log) (advised by the user Greybear on Nvidia Forums)

After the latest tests (here) advised by the user Greybear  in my post  on the Nvidia Forums the readings in the log file he points out there is an anomaly, you can see it in the Images in the 12v LOW column "" 0 "" .

Open the Google Drive Link above access the .csv file and scroll across to column LV - MD - see all the 0 entries.... notice that the 12 readings appear in the wrong column on some of the 0 reading in the LV column.

He recommended that I set the RAIL performance to SINGLE RAIL on my PSU.

My knowledge on PSU’s is quite limited - Any thoughts on that?

*I will redo the benchmarks and log the info as soon as I get home from work. *

After digging for any leads in my crash logs, I found the following information into the game’s crash log and Windows Event logger:

Python Log here World of Tanks client:

INFO: [Info] FATAL ERROR: RenderSystemDeviceAccess::genericInterfaceCallFailureHandler - device in unsupported state: The device has been removed.”

This seems to be synchronized time stamp wise - with the report from the Windows Event logger that points to the nvlddmkm file stopping to work:

" Event id - 1062600691 in Source "nvlddmkm" cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Video3 Graphics Exception on (GPC6, PPC 0)"

I have tried capturing a screenshot right after the black screen crash to see if it pops any information but the screenshots are black.

I am aware that this is a long post, but I am still having hope that there is a way to find a fix for this.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Edited by Enthyos
  • Like 1

Ixion

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list of things you've tried.

The one step which may be missing is a completely clean from scratch driver install (although you mention using Safe mode so may have already done this). Use DDU https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17830/ to completely remove any old drivers then install 461.09 with default settings.

• Like 1

Enthyos
3 hours ago, Ixion said:

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list of things you've tried.

The one step which may be missing is a completely clean from scratch driver install (although you mention using Safe mode so may have already done this). Use DDU https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17830/ to completely remove any old drivers then install 461.09 with default settings.

Hello @Ixion, thank you for your reply, i did use DDU to reinstall my drivers.

Unfortunetly that does not seem to help with my issue.

+jnelsoninjax

Honestly I might say that it is the game itself, since you said you have not had any issues with other games. Is the game up to date?

farmeunit

I have issues with Rainbow Six from time to time, and it's always seems to coincide with an update for the game.

There was an older driver that's been the most reliable.  I see you tried, that, though.  Have you contacted their support and sent them logs?

Enthyos
44 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Honestly I might say that it is the game itself, since you said you have not had any issues with other games. Is the game up to date?

Yes, and the support team concluded that it's my system that needs to be checked... :(

32 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I have issues with Rainbow Six from time to time, and it's always seems to coincide with an update for the game.

There was an older driver that's been the most reliable.  I see you tried, that, though.  Have you contacted their support and sent them logs?

Yes been doing that back and forth ever since it first happened. Had no issues with my 2080Ti before.

+Biscuits Brown

If the game is that important to you, I'd get a spare SSD, take all the drives out of my computer. Reinstall windows on the spare SSD then install WoT. Nothing else.  If that works, well you know the issue isn't hardware related. If it still fails, you only have a few options and I'd start with putting the 2080Ti back in and test.  If that works either your 3090 is bad or the PSU is sufficient (or just crappy) for that 3090. Your parkpicker link isn't there so we cant see your system. 

Enthyos
3 hours ago, Biscuits Brown said:

If the game is that important to you, I'd get a spare SSD, take all the drives out of my computer. Reinstall windows on the spare SSD then install WoT. Nothing else.  If that works, well you know the issue isn't hardware related. If it still fails, you only have a few options and I'd start with putting the 2080Ti back in and test.  If that works either your 3090 is bad or the PSU is sufficient (or just crappy) for that 3090. Your parkpicker link isn't there so we cant see your system. 

Hello Biscuits Brown,

Appreciate the support here, i have not thought about doing that, pretty neat ideea.

I will give it a  try and come back with some feedback after the install is done.

Unfortunetly i do not have the 2080ti anymore, but i guess i could try and find someone willing to help me out for further testing near me.

Pc build here. - Was i wrong to go for the Corsair RM1000x psu ?

Much appreciated.

In the meantime do you guys have by chance any troubleshooting experience when it comes to  the nvlddmkm.sys error?

+Biscuits Brown

Since it's only one game causing the issue and the issue is related to the video card driver really points to something the game is doing that is conflicting with your setup. I'm still thinking the fresh install will help isolate this. I'd even go so far as to install windows and NOT install any NVidia drivers. Just let windows install what it wants then install WoT and give it a play. Unless you received a bad PSU, the Corsair should be MORE than sufficient. 

goretsky

Hello,

The PSU should be adequate.  From looking at this photo of it:

image.png.a00246fe56e979af435f27403cfca79d.png

the power supply has connectors for three 8-pin PCIe cables.

From reading this description of the video card:  https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N3090AORUS-X-24GD/sp#sp the video card has connectors for three 8-ping PCIe cables.

Have you verified that each of the three separate connectors on the video card has its own cable going to it from the power supply, without any splitters or double-headed cables being used?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Enthyos
2 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

The PSU should be adequate.  From looking at this photo of it:

image.png.a00246fe56e979af435f27403cfca79d.png

the power supply has connectors for three 8-pin PCIe cables.

From reading this description of the video card:  https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N3090AORUS-X-24GD/sp#sp the video card has connectors for three 8-ping PCIe cables.

Have you verified that each of the three separate connectors on the video card has its own cable going to it from the power supply, without any splitters or double-headed cables being used?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you for your reply Mr.Goretsky

I was aware of this potential issue as i have some experience with building PC's and the limitations of a  8-pin cable, so i went for 3 separate 8-pin PCIe cables.

This weekend i will try and see if  the solution proposed by  Biscuits Brown helps in any way and proceed to a clean install. 

The more i read on the internet the more i fear that i might be one of those plagued by the "black screen with sound + 100% fan  speed RTX series" club.

What bugs me is that so far i do not experience crashing in anything else.

goretsky

Hello,

My next suggestion would be to check with Gigabyte.  Perhaps there is a known issue specific to the video card with another component in the computer that they are aware of, or you received one from a batch with some faulty component known to be mixed in.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Enthyos

I am currently waiting an answer from Gigabyte, i have watched posts over the internet there does not seem to be any sort of trend going on.

Will post back any official comments on the issue.

Thanks again Aryeh Goretsky.

• 2 months later...
Enthyos

I know it has been a long time since my last post, unfortunately the issue is not fixed and the Gigabyte Support team redirected me to my local vendor whom offered me a refund but not a replacement due to the low stocks so I'd be at a loss given the price hike.

Meanwhile after following the recommendations of a fellow user JoeRambo @ Anandtech Forums to use Riva Tunner Statistics Server and even more testing over the past 3 months with the Aorus Engine I did end up having a stable GPU while playing World of Tanks.

While using RTSS I only ended up having partial success, I kept trying to find a solution and ran different clocks and configurations with the Aorus Engine.

Stable settings I am currently using with an alternate profile in Aorus Engine – GPU Clock 1625 / Memory Clock 19502 / Fan Speed Auto / Power Target 100 @ a Target temp of 83 degrees Celsius.

The issue occurred only once since then while playing League of Legends but didn’t reproduce since and i was using this custom World of Tanks profile not the standard Aorus Extreme OC – (GPU Boost 1860Mhz / Memory Clock 19500).

No other games or workload like rendering crashed my GPU, so I decided to keep the card a while more, at least until the availability issues are resolved.

Hopefully this workaround will help somebody else out there.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      WinSlap 1.6
      by Razvan Serea

WinSlap is a tiny tool that provides you with control over which functions in Windows 10 you choose to use and how far data gets shared. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by making recommendations and giving tips for which unwanted functions should be deactivated. There are a lot of options to browse, but WinSlap tries to make life easier by organizing them in several tabs: Tweaks, Appearance, Software and Advanced. No Installation required. Once downloaded, WinSlap is a standalone, portable application that doesn’t even need installing to work.

Goals:

Apply tweaks to a fresh installation of Windows 10 after using a clean retail image (if you're looking to apply tweaks during installation, check out image creation tools) No bloat. WinSlap does what it's features list says and nothing else. Tweaks:

Disable Shared Experiences Disable Cortana Disable Game DVR and Game Bar Disable Hotspot 2.0 Don't include frequently used folders in Quick access Don't show sync provider notifications Disable Sharing Wizard Show 'This PC' when launching File Explorer Disable Telemetry Uninstall OneDrive Disable Activity History Disable automatically installing Apps Disable Feedback dialogs Disable Start Menu suggestions Disable Bing search Disable password reveal button Disable settings sync Disable startup sound Disable autostart startup delay Disable location Disable Advertising ID Disable Malware Removal Tool data reporting Disable sending typing info to Microsoft Disable Personalization Hide language list from websites Disable Miracast Disable App Diagnostics Disable Wi-Fi Sense Disable lock screen Spotlight Disable automatic maps updates Disable error reporting Disable Remote Assistance Use UTC as BIOS time Hide network from lock screen Disable sticky keys prompt Hide 3D Objects from File Explorer Remove preinstalled apps except Photos, Calculator, Store Update Windows Store Apps Prevent preinstalling apps for new users Unpin preinstalled apps Disable Smart Screen Disable Smart Glass Remove Intel Control Panel from context menus Remove NVIDIA Control Panel from context menus Remove AMD Control Panel from context menus Disable suggested apps in Windows Ink Workspace Disable experiments by Microsoft Disable Inventory Collection Disable Steps Recorder Disable Application Compatibility Engine Disable pre-release features and settings Disable camera on lock screen Disable Microsoft Edge first run page Disable Microsoft Edge preload Install .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 Enable Windows Photo Viewer Uninstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer Disable security questions for local accounts Disable app suggestions (e.g. use Edge instead of Firefox) Remove default Fax printer Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Disable clipboard history Disable cloud sync of clipboard history Disable automatic update of speech data Disable handwriting error reports Disable cloud sync of text messages Disable Bluetooth advertisements Appearance:

Add This PC shortcut to desktop Small taskbar icons Don't group tasks in taskbar Hide Taskview button in taskbar Hide People button in taskbar Hide search bar in taskbar Remove compatibility item from context menu Hide OneDrive Cloud states in File Explorer Always show file name extensions Remove OneDrive from File Explorer Delete quicklaunch items Use Windows 7 volume control Remove Microsoft Edge desktop shortcut Disable Lockscreen Blur Hide Meet Now icon in taskbar Software:

Install 7Zip Install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install Audacity Install BalenaEtcher Install calibre Install CPU-Z Install DupeGuru Install EarTrumpet Install Epic Games Launcher Install FileZilla Install GIMP Install GPU-Z Install Git Install Google Chrome Install HashTab Install Inkscape Install Irfanview Install Java Runtime Environment Install KDE Connect Install KeePassXC Install League Of Legends Install LibreOffice Install Minecraft Install Mozilla Firefox Install Mozilla Thunderbird Install Nextcloud Desktop Install Notepad++ Install OBS Studio Install OpenVPN Connect Install Origin Install PowerToys Install PuTTY Install Python Install Slack Install Speccy Install StartIsBack++ Install Steam Install TeamViewer Install TeamSpeak Install Telegram Install Twitch Install Ubisoft Connect Install VirtualBox Install VLC media player Install WinRAR Install WinSCP Install Windows Terminal Install Wireshark Install Zoom Advanced:

Disable Background Apps Precision Trackpad: Disable keyboard block after clicking Disable Windows Defender Disable Link-local Multicast Name Resolution Disable Smart Multi-Homed Name Resolution Disable Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Disable Teredo tunneling Disable Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol Enable Windows Subsystem for Linux Uninstall Internet Explorer WinSlap 1.6 changelog:

new feature: Disable notifications on the lock screen new feature: Disable reminders and incoming VoIP calls on the lock screen new feature: Disable Windows welcome experience new feature: Disable Aero Shake new feature: Enable Storage Sense new feature: Disable suggestions in timeline new feature: Disable typing insights new feature: Disable spell checker new feature: Disable text suggestions on the software keyboard new feature: Disable SafeSearch new feature: Disable suggested content in settings app new feature: Disable automatic login after finishing updates new feature: Disable Windows Defender submitting sample files new feature: Disable fast startup new feature: Disable mouse pointer acceleration new software: AnyDesk new software: Wireguard Download: WinSlap 1.6 | 829 KB (Open Source)
      View: WinSlap Home Page | Screenshot

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Winaero Tweaker 1.30
      by Razvan Serea

Winaero Tweaker is an an all-in-one customization utility that helps you to tweak Windows in just a few simple clicks. The program includes tweaks for every version of operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 11. Winaero Tweaker automatically detects the version of Windows OS you’re running and shows tweaks and customization options accordingly. The software can be installed as a portable app so you can take it with you as you move from one computer to another.

Here's a partial features list:

Information - View information about your PC hardware and OS. Aero Colors - Change all Windows Aero settings including those which can't be changed with Control Panel. Aero Lite - Activate the hidden Aero Lite theme. Alt+Tab Appearance - Change hidden secret options of the Alt+Tab dialog. Colored Title Bars - Enable colors for window title bars in Windows 10. Dark Color Scheme - Here you can enable the dark color scheme for Windows 10 system settings and apps. Inactive Title Bars Color - Change the color of inactive title bars in Windows 10. Disable Aero Shake - Disable or enable the Aero Shake feature. Disable Driver Updates - Turn off driver updates in Windows Update. Disable Web Search - Disable Web Search in taskbar and Cortana in Windows 10. Disable Action Center - Disable or enable the Action Center feature in Windows 10. Disable Live Tiles - Disable Live Tiles all at once for Universal(Metro) apps. Activate Windows Photo Viewer - Activate Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10. Auto-update Store apps - Disable or enable auto-update of Store apps in Windows 10. Disable Cortana - Disable Cortana in Windows 10. Disable Windows Defender - Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10. Microsoft Edge Download Folder - Change the default download folder in Microsoft Edge. Stop Unwanted Apps - Stop unwanted apps Windows installs automatically. Windows Defender Tray Icon - Show or hide Windows Defender tray icon. App Switcher Hover Timeout - Change the App Switcher hover timeout delay. Charms Bar Hover Timeout - Change the Charms Bar hover timeout delay. Modern App Closing Options - Speed up closing time of Metro apps for mouse and touch. Start Screen Power Button - Show or hide the Power button on the Start screen. Disable Telemetry - Prevent Windows 10 from spying on you. ... and many more. Winaero Tweaker 1.30 new features:

You can add Task Manager to the Desktop context menu (this works in all supported Windows versions). You can add Group Policy to the Desktop context menu (in all supported Windows versions). You can add "Restart Explorer" to the Desktop context menu in all supported Windows versions. Added two new tools:

You can create desktop shortcuts to Shut down, Restart, Hibernate and Sleep actions in all Windows versions. Save your time using such shortcuts. For "shut down", you can create both the full shut down shortcut (turns off the OS without the hibernation data, next start is cold start) and hybrid shut down shortcut (next start will be done with Fast Startup).

If you tray icons (notification area/taskbar corner overflow) look broken, you can now reset their cache using Winaero Tweaker.

Windows 11: Added a number of improvements to the "Classic Taskbar" feature. After enabling it, you can quickly turn on the clock, network, and sound icons. There is a link for that. Windows 11: Added a dedicated option to restore the Ribbon in File Explorer. Windows 11: You can now move the taskbar to the top, left or right side of the screen. The left and right side taskbar is still half-baked, as Microsoft doesn't officially support the taskbar moving. Fixes

Fixed Windows 10 version 21H2 detection. It was reported as 21H1. Fixed the context menu\ remove default entries\ pin to start removal. The "Pin to Start" command was only removed for files. Now it also disappears for folders. Fixed the Shell Folder shortcut option. Once you create a shell folder shortcut, the option used to appear in the "Recently changed" list. That's wrong; this doesn't change anything on your computer. Download page: Winaero Tweaker 1.30 | 2.4 MB (Freeware)
      View: Winaero Tweaker Home Page | v1.30 Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Flight Sim on console, Windows updates, and Q4 earnings
      by Florin Bodnarescu

As yet another set of seven days has gone by, it’s time we take a look at the news that popped up during this time, including the landing of Flight Simulator on console, a series of updates for Windows, and the Q4 earnings report for Microsoft’s 2021 fiscal year. You’ll find info about those subjects and more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of July 25 – 31.

Flight Sim on console

As promised, on July 27, Microsoft Flight Simulator landed on Game Pass and the Xbox Series X|S. This is the first time the title has made its way to console, with Xbox One users presumably being able to enjoy it via Xbox Cloud Gaming, where possible.

In case simulators are not quite your thing, there’s currently an Xbox Ultimate Game Sale, featuring deals for Assassin’s Creed games, Call of Duty titles, and others, and if you have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, Darksiders III and Lost Planet 3 are now free to claim.

In first-party news, Forza Motorsport 7 is set to be removed from storefronts in September (having initially been released in October of 2017). Those who currently own the game will be unaffected though, as they get to (obviously) keep their copies.

And ending with another first-party game, Halo Infinite’s first Insider test is now live, and runs until August 2, at 10AM PT. Do be warned that Microsoft has accidentally leaked Infinite campaign details, so you’ll need to be cautious if you don’t want to have plot points spoiled.

Windows updates

Much like taxes, Windows updates are a given, and this week, there were definitely some interesting such updates.

For one, Microsoft released the first Windows 11 build to the Beta channel, last week’s Dev channel build, 22000.100. As you’d imagine, it contains broadly the same number of fixes as the Dev build, only this one has a couple more known issues added. As is the case with Windows 11 going forward, Teams is quite tightly integrated with the OS, so here’s our hands-on with said Teams experience.

In additional news about changes, Microsoft is set to retire semi-annual Windows Server updates in favor of LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) releases. The next LTSC variant, set to drop this year, will still be based on Windows 10.

And speaking of, KB5004296 was pushed out by the firm, bumping up the build numbers for Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1 to 19041.1151, 19042.1151, and 19043.1151. The list of fixes is a little longer than usual, and contains everything from fixes for bugs with WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) to System Integrity memory leaks, and more.

Last but not least, to end the talk about versions and version numbers, Windows 10 21H1 is now on 26% of PCs, with Windows 11 (the Insider flavor) grabbing 0.9% of the market.

Q4 FY21 earnings

It’ll come as no shock to those who follow Microsoft that the Redmond giant has now posted its quarterly earnings for the fourth quarter of its fiscal year 2021, which ended June 30.

Microsoft brought in $46.2B in revenue (up 21% Year-over Year). Operating income landed at $19.1B (up 42%), with net income being $16.5B (up 47%). Diluted earnings per share was $2.17 (up 49%).

Of the three sections that Microsoft’s earnings are split into, Productivity and Business Processes brought in $14.7B (up 25%), Intelligent Cloud contributed the most with $17.4B (up 30%), and More Personal Computing accounted for $14.1B of the total sum, a 9% increase year-over-year.

In the first category, Office Commercial products and cloud services grew 20% in terms of revenue – off the back of a 35% increase in Office 365 Commercial revenue. Consumer Office earnings grew 18%, with Microsoft 365 consumer seats increasing to 51.9 million. Revenue from LinkedIn and Dynamics grew 46% and 33%, respectively.

In the Intelligent Cloud bracket, Azure revenue grew 51%, with revenue from cloud services and server products being up 34% (accounting for $3.9B). The Enterprise Mobility install base grew 19% (to over 190 million seats), and Premier Support – as well as Microsoft Consulting services - grew by a respectable 12%.

Under More Personal Computing, there was strong Search advertising revenue growth, with Windows Commercial products growing 20%, and OEM Pro (as well as non-Pro) revenues dipping 2% and 4% (respectively), which happened due to supply chain constraints. The other effect of said constraints was a 20% fall in revenue for the Surface unit.

Gaming revenue was up 11%, with a 172% increase in hardware revenue (year-over-year). Xbox content and services were down 4%, and Search advertising was up 53%.

Because this is also the end of the fiscal year, Microsoft shared the overall FY21 figures, with revenue landing at $168.1B (up 18%) and net income being $61.3B.

Dev channel
      The final Edge Dev 93 build (93.0.961.2) is now out with an improved Settings layout. Outlook on the web now has a ‘My Day’ pane for easy access to Calendar and To Do. New phishing protections are now live in Teams. Teams now has nearly 250 million monthly active users. Logging off
      We end the column by highlighting a software transition that took place earlier this week.

As was announced by Microsoft two years ago, Skype for Business Online was retired on July 31, 2021. The replacement is of course Teams, and the company is so confident in its latest chatting endeavor that it’s not extending the EOL date of Skype for Business Online.

For folks who have not moved to Teams completely (or at all), there will be Microsoft-assisted upgrades (starting in August). Until the upgrades are completed, users will be free to continue their chats and calls via Skype for Business Online.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases optional Windows 10 updates with a ton of fixes
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft has released cumulative updates for the three most recent versions of Windows 10, along with version 1909 currently supported for specific SKUs, as part of its “C” week release. These optional “quality” updates are usually released one or two weeks after Patch Tuesday. These fixes will also be rolled into the next month’s Patch Tuesday updates for those who choose to avoid installing these patches.

The update rolling out to Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1 is KB5004296, bumping up the build numbers to 19041.1151, 19042.1151, and 19043.1151, respectively. Since the three versions are based on the same codebase – with versions 20H2 and 21H1 being just enablement packages –, they are serviced with identical patches.

The same update will soon roll out to Insiders running Windows 10 version 21H2 in the Release Preview channel, bumping the version to 19044.1151. These are Insiders that were moved from the Beta channel to Release Preview due to the incompatibility of their systems for Windows 11. Users with compatible devices, however, received the first Windows 11 build today.

As for what’s new with the updates, there is the usual crop of bug fixes, addressing issues with gaming reliability and more. While the changelog does note a fix for a printing issue when using a USB connection, the firm is yet to address the problem relating to printing and scanning when using smart card authentication.

Here are the highlights of the updates heading out to versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1:

And here is the complete list of fixes, which is a fairly long one:

And here are the known issues listed in the changelog that users must be aware of:

Symptoms

Workaround

When using the Microsoft Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to enter Kanji characters in an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters, you might not get the correct Furigana characters. You might need to enter the Furigana characters manually.

Note The affected apps are using the ImmGetCompositionString() function.

We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Devices with Windows installations created from custom offline media or custom ISO image might have Microsoft Edge Legacy removed by this update, but not automatically replaced by the new Microsoft Edge. This issue is only encountered when custom offline media or ISO images are created by slipstreaming this update into the image without having first installed the standalone servicing stack update (SSU) released March 29, 2021 or later.

Note Devices that connect directly to Windows Update to receive updates are not affected. This includes devices using Windows Update for Business. Any device connecting to Windows Update should always receive the latest versions of the SSU and latest cumulative update (LCU) without any extra steps.

To avoid this issue, be sure to first slipstream the SSU released March 29, 2021 or later into the custom offline media or ISO image before slipstreaming the LCU. To do this with the combined SSU and LCU packages now used for Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004, you will need to extract the SSU from the combined package. Use the following steps to extract the using SSU:

Extract the cab from the msu via this command line (using the package for KB5000842 as an example): expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.msu /f:Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab Extract the SSU from the previously extracted cab via this command line: expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab /f:* You will then have the SSU cab, in this example named SSU-19041.903-x64.cab. Slipstream this file into your offline image first, then the LCU. If you have already encountered this issue by installing the OS using affected custom media, you can mitigate it by directly installing the new Microsoft Edge. If you need to broadly deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business, see Download and deploy Microsoft Edge for business

After installing the June 21, 2021 (KB5003690) update, some devices cannot install new updates, such as the July 6, 2021 (KB5004945) or later updates. You will receive the error message, "PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING".

For more information and a workaround, see KB5005322.

Those running Windows 10 version 1909 Enterprise, Education, or IoT Enterprise will be offered KB5004293, bumping up the version to build 18363.1714. You can head to the knowledge base article to look at the complete list of fixes and known issues.

Those looking to download the update manually can do so from the Update Catalog here for versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1, and here for version 1909. However, the updated packages have not been made available at the time of writing. As mentioned earlier, these updates will show up as optional updates and are opt-in only. The fixes in these patches will be rolled into the Patch Tuesday packages next month.

• By Abhay V
      AdDuplex: Windows 10 version 21H1 is now on over 26% of PCs, Windows 11 makes its debut
      by Abhay Venkatesh

After a gap of a couple of months, AdDuplex has released its Windows version usage report for the month of July. The report is collected from 5,000 Microsoft Store apps that are running the AdDuplex SDK v.2 or higher, and around 60,000 Windows PCs were sampled for this report. This month’s highlight is the debut of Windows 11, which was formally announced in June. As for Windows 10, version 21H1 that was released in May is now running on over 26% of Windows machines.

Just like the October 2020 Update, the Windows 10 May 2021 Update was an enablement package that light up new features in the OS. The underlying codebase for 21H1, however, is identical to versions 20H2 and 2004, meaning that the three most recent versions are serviced with the same cumulative updates. It is, therefore, not surprising to see that the rollout of the latest version has been faster than the previous versions has seen. This is only expected to increase as version 2004 begins to reach the end of support for consumer SKUs.

With Windows 10 21H1 now on more than 26% of PCs, the three latest versions of the OS account for close to 88% of usage share. The title for the most famous version of Windows 10 is retained by version 20H2 at 36.3%, followed by version 2004 at 24.6%. Windows Insiders running Windows 11 in the Dev channel account for close to 1% of total devices.

Windows 10 version 21H2 is also slated to be an enablement package. However, with Windows 11 expected to begin rolling out later this year, it will be interesting to see how the usage share changes, since there are still questions about the pace of the rollout and what the final hardware specifications will be.