Notification Issues

Mindovermaster

Since this "closing old threads" new rule, I have been having a heap of trouble with it. I explained this to @dipsylalapo, but he's not sure on it. He said that @Steven P. fixed it, but it appears not.

Let me explain, I get a notification EVERY time it closes a thread. Personally, I don't care **** if one of my oid thread is being closed. These are years old threads.

neowin_shit.thumb.png.be0c103ddc3e252312e8dd99299a54ea.png

I used to get @ mentioned about it, but now it doesn't do that, and I still get notified.

neowinshit2.thumb.png.6c4ad67ec6a73ebc25895d76388466b7.png

As seen here, this is what it writes. WHY is it notifying me? This post was From August 2019. Why the F would I care?

If it has to notify me every time a thread closes, I'd be hunting up Steven and put a bullet through his foot...

PLEASE FIX THIS!

+warwagon

I get those too. I don't mind them, it's just sad that my old threads are being locked :(

Mindovermaster
29 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I get those too. I don't mind them, it's just sad that my old threads are being locked :(

Surely, you can just ask Staff to open it for you. It's no headache. It's just preventing these kids from opening old threads from way back then..

• Like 1
shockz

I'm still not sure why posting in old threads is frowned upon. If there's relevant information to post or follow up on, why not? 

• Thanks 1
Mindovermaster
40 minutes ago, shockz said:

I'm still not sure why posting in old threads is frowned upon. If there's relevant information to post or follow up on, why not? 

If it's on old hardware that isn't relevant anymore, well, bringing up is like asking a PIII question in 2021...

Steven made this decision long ago.

Brandon H

it must be a bug in the plugin unfortunately. it is a 3rd party plugin that's being utilized to close the old threads.

steve toggled the option to disable bumping and notifications for the closures so it must not be fully effective unfortunately.

steve can probably explain in more detail how it's set. maybe he can submit a bug report to the plugin developer to see if a fix can be done but if not hopefully it will just be a temporary inconvenience until the plugin finishes scanning all the threads we have. there are nearly a million threads so it's been a lengthy scan from my understanding.

cork1958

So far, when ever one of my topics has been closed, I've only received an e-mail telling me that. Haven't seen the notification here at all.

Brandon H
1 hour ago, shockz said:

it's not, we're more doing this as a spring cleaning type of thing as there are just as many if not more threads that AREN'T relevant anymore that bots and unobservant new members keep bumping (or trying too at least; us mods get approval notifications for them that you don't see).

auto closing old threads isn't a new concept for long running forums either. Heck just take a look at reddit, they go way overboard with it and lock threads after 1 month, without the option to re-open at that, which we DO offer if the OP or another member wants to continue contributing to a thread.

+warwagon
3 hours ago, shockz said:

THIS! I love it when someone posts in a threat I created 5 years ago!

Mindovermaster

Just did it again... Sends me another notification...

@Steven P., fix plz. If a bug, report it.

Steven P.

It is a bug, i turned off the auto post reply for now until it is fixed.

Nick H.

I'm just wondering, have you used these settings at any point?

SatXqNe.jpg

Perhaps if you look under your followed content you'll find that you're following the threads that you created, and that's why you receive the notification?

I'm sure I must have a thread that I created that has since been closed, but I've not received these notifications and I've never had these options enabled.

Steven P.

Even so, the plugin shouldn't be triggering a notification of closure even if the option is set to "Automatically follow new content I post".