Texas weather: Deaths mount as winter storm leaves millions without power


Recommended Posts

techbeck

There have been widespread blackouts in Texas, where the energy grid was overwhelmed by a surge in demand.

 

Millions of people in the state, which rarely experiences such low temperatures, have been struggling to cope with the lack of power and frigid conditions.

 

The extreme weather is forecast to continue until the weekend.

 

Deaths attributed to the storm have been recorded in Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, North Carolina and Missouri.

 

By Wednesday afternoon, the National Weather Service (NWS) said that the worst of the storm had moved through Texas, but kept more than 100 million Americans under a winter weather warning.

 

But historically low temperatures are expected to remain for days, the NWS said, with more than 71% of the US covered by snow.

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56095479

 

 

Have some family in TX.   Niece is stationed and San Antonio and had to go out to her car for heat for a few.  Another Niece outside of San Antonio just got snow.  Grand Niece enjoyed that.  But Also seeing where fire hydrants are freezing and fire fighters are having issues putting out house fires. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax

I really feel bad for TX right now, and I know that the state is partially to blame about the power issues (they want to be independent from the rest of the US on the power grid). Now I grew up in the Portland, Oregon area and would say that II am (r was) used to the cold weather and occasional power outages, but now since I have lived in Florida for 10+ years I am not too sure about my abilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse

oh boo hoo Texas you thought you could be your own country and be independent.... how's that idea working out for you?... feel sorry for the citizens that have to put up with the BS those in charge caused that got them into this situation

  • Facepalm 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck

Fact check: Frozen wind turbines don't deserve all the blame for Texas blackouts

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/02/17/fact-check-frozen-wind-turbines-not-only-reason-texas-blackouts/6784789002/

 

The claim that frozen wind turbines are to blame for blackouts in Texas is MISSING CONTEXT. While some wind production is offline in the state, it is losing far more generation from thermal sources that produce the majority of power in Texas. Some wind turbines are frozen, but that is because turbines in Texas aren’t built to withstand unusually cold temperatures, as are turbines in colder climates where wind production is used.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse

where's elon musk when you expect him to pop up and offer a tesla power bank on a state scale like he did in australia  😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Biscuits Brown
20 minutes ago, neufuse said:

where's elon musk when you expect him to pop up and offer a tesla power bank on a state scale like he did in australia  😆

We have 225MW of lithium storage however at the low temps we had, the lithium storage failed (ya know, the same type of storage Musk sells). More batteries, more wind or solar would not have mattered. They simply screwed the pooch on natural gas delivery to the power plants plain and simple.  Whether or not we should join the two national grids is another issue. In fact, we are technically able to connect to the Eastern grid but can't because Texas doesn't follow federal regulations for interstate transmission and are legally prohibited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM
2 hours ago, Biscuits Brown said:

We have 225MW of lithium storage however at the low temps we had, the lithium storage failed (ya know, the same type of storage Musk sells). 

>

One nit; Tesla's battery packs, Powerwalls, Powerpacks & Megapacks have a thermal management system which can warm or cool the cells.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ATLien_0

Man really feel for Texas residents right now

 

You have Gov officials saying to suck it up basically, and others blaming the wind turbines

 

Simple fact is that Texas infrastructure isn't built for extreme cold, when usually the lowest they see is maybe 32 F

 

Homes are not built for this kind of cold, pipes are freezing, exterior instant water heaters are breaking etc

 

That and you add in the power grid demand which wasn't prepared for this . Power plants shut down due to not winterizing 

 

The next big issue for Austin I hear is city water pipes are likely going to burst since they aren't placed below the frost line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Dick Montage
11 hours ago, neufuse said:

oh boo hoo Texas you thought you could be your own country and be independent.... how's that idea working out for you?

People died, man - come on!

Assuming as a predominantly warmer state, Texas is not prepared for such situations?

 

Heart goes out to those who are in need or lost people :(

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Grumpy-J
11 hours ago, neufuse said:

oh boo hoo Texas you thought you could be your own country and be independent.... how's that idea working out for you?... feel sorry for the citizens that have to put up with the BS those in charge caused that got them into this situation

Oh, what's the matter, upset that Texas hasn't rolled over and submitted to your so-beloved Socialist/far-left agenda? 

 

"The more you tighten your grip, Biden, the more people will slip through your fingers."  Leia Organa

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
ATLien_0
36 minutes ago, Grumpy-J said:

Oh, what's the matter, upset that Texas hasn't rolled over and submitted to your so-beloved Socialist/far-left agenda? 

 

"The more you tighten your grip, Biden, the more people will slip through your fingers."  Leia Organa

But isn't asking the government for emergency relief , socialism ? 

I saw that Ted Cruz was demanding Biden push for federal relief, which is socialism 

 

But the reality is, just as the far north is is equipped for extreme heat, texas just isn't built for extreme cold

 

This isn't a left vs right energy thing

Everything from natural gas, coal, nuclear and even wind all failed due to poor winterization policies and building codes not meant for this kind of cold   . Texas is built for extreme heat 

 

Wind turbines in the extreme north don't fail, when properly maintained as an example 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme
7 minutes ago, ATLien_0 said:

But isn't asking the government for emergency relief , socialism ? 

I saw that Ted Cruz was demanding Biden push for federal relief, which is socialism 

 

But the reality is, just as the far north is is equipped for extreme heat, texas just isn't built for extreme cold

 

This isn't a left vs right energy thing

Everything from natural gas, coal, nuclear and even wind all failed due to poor winterization policies and building codes not meant for this kind of cold   . Texas is built for extreme heat 

 

Wind turbines in the extreme north don't fail, when properly maintained as an example 

 

Agreed that this shouldn't become yet another political battle. The right answer is that this should lead to some corrective actions for these environments.

California should do better forest management to decrease the people that die from forest fires, and Texas should implement better winterizing protocols.  Simple steps can lead to saving lives.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K

Eh.  Senator Ted Cruz reportedly went to Cancun.  

 

Yea, he couldn't have magically restored everyone's power ...  but just the optics of him fleeing to Cancun while his constituents are without power, freezing and dying...

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K
26 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Agreed that this shouldn't become yet another political battle. The right answer is that this should lead to some corrective actions for these environments.

California should do better forest management to decrease the people that die from forest fires, and Texas should implement better winterizing protocols.  Simple steps can lead to saving lives.

Regarding the forest...you mean the USG...right?  The vast majority of their forest are owned/managed by the USG. California only owns 3% (Source)....

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme
12 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Eh.  Senator Ted Cruz reportedly went to Cancun.  

 

Yea, he couldn't have magically restored everyone's power ...  but just the optics of him fleeing to Cancun while his constituents are without power, freezing and dying...

What power/responsibility does a Senator have for this sort of thing?  Isn't this dealt with by the governor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K
2 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

What power/responsibility does a Senator have for this sort of thing?  Isn't this dealt with by the governor?

I addressed that....no?

 

"he couldn't have magically restored everyone's power ... but just the optics of him fleeing to Cancun while his constituents are without power, freezing and dying..."

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
+primortal
1 minute ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

What power/responsibility does a Senator have for this sort of thing?  Isn't this dealt with by the governor?

It's optics, period.  Your state is in a deep freeze and you go running off to Cancun.

 

He could have stayed in Texas, and help getting warming shelters setup, food, and water distribution.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme
6 minutes ago, primortal said:

It's optics, period.  Your state is in a deep freeze and you go running off to Cancun.

 

He could have stayed in Texas, and help getting warming shelters setup, food, and water distribution.

That's a very narrow way to look at it...  Again, is that actually his responsibility?   If it is, who's to say he wasn't organizing aid remotely?  

Even if he remained in Texas, he's obviously not running around these places in person.  If the state was covered in snow and frozen, nobody is getting around easily anywhere... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+devHead
13 hours ago, techbeck said:

Fact check: Frozen wind turbines don't deserve all the blame for Texas blackouts

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/02/17/fact-check-frozen-wind-turbines-not-only-reason-texas-blackouts/6784789002/

 

The claim that frozen wind turbines are to blame for blackouts in Texas is MISSING CONTEXT. While some wind production is offline in the state, it is losing far more generation from thermal sources that produce the majority of power in Texas. Some wind turbines are frozen, but that is because turbines in Texas aren’t built to withstand unusually cold temperatures, as are turbines in colder climates where wind production is used.

Exactly, and frankly, if they had performed de-icing procedures and protections on them, they would be all be working correctly.  Do these states not realize the importance of having regulations for stuff like this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rohdekill

This is yet another example of elected officials failing to perform their duties. 

A properly run government plans for every conceivable possibility and creates a playbook, which is to be shared with all entities involved.  Then have contingency plans for each possible point of failure.

  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
WallyMcClure
31 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Agreed that this shouldn't become yet another political battle. The right answer is that this should lead to some corrective actions for these environments.

California should do better forest management to decrease the people that die from forest fires, and Texas should implement better winterizing protocols.  Simple steps can lead to saving lives.

Yet Another Political Battle (YAPB) doesn't solve problems or bring people to the table, but it does make for media ratings.

 

As for the charge of government assistance being socialism, no that is not what socialism is at all.  Socialism has a defined meaning.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
+primortal
6 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

That's a very narrow way to look at it...  Again, is that actually his responsibility?   If it is, who's to say he wasn't organizing aid remotely?  

Even if he remained it Texas, he's obviously not running around these places in person.  If the state was covered in snow and frozen, nobody is getting around easily anywhere... 

Why not be his responsibility?  Really, that your defense "organizing aide remotely" from Cancun, please.

 

I didn't say for him personally running around doing these things and just as you pointed out he could do these things "remotely".

 

For instance,

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck
13 hours ago, neufuse said:

oh boo hoo Texas you thought you could be your own country and be independent.... how's that idea working out for you?... feel sorry for the citizens that have to put up with the BS those in charge caused that got them into this situation

Nothing wrong with trying alternative power and I am all for it when the alternatives have been proven.  Seems to be an issue here where alternative wind turbines were not rated for the extreme cold.  Wind turbines need to be able to handle all forms of weather no matter where they are placed.  There are wind turbines all over N IL which never have this problem.  Besides, those are not the reason for the power issues in TX anyway. 

4 minutes ago, devHead said:

Exactly, and frankly, if they had performed de-icing procedures and protections on them, they would be all be working correctly.  Do these states not realize the importance of having regulations for stuff like this?

Probably never thought they would get that kind of weather.  Should always plan for the worse and hope for the best.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck

And apparently generators and equipment for natural gas, which powers half the state, are not working as well since they are kept outside vs inside in other states where cold weather this time of the year is the norm.   And while Texas has independent power, they can still get some from neighboring states but of course those states need all their power right now.  So several diff reasons why TX is having issues.  Main issue here is TX never sees this kind of weather so they were unprepared for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck
42 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Eh.  Senator Ted Cruz reportedly went to Cancun.  

 

Yea, he couldn't have magically restored everyone's power ...  but just the optics of him fleeing to Cancun while his constituents are without power, freezing and dying...

And now a certain celebrity has gone off the deep end claiming the weather in TX is God punishing certain senators.  Like the issues is not affecting all who live there and just a few people.....sometimes people can be such tools.   People cannot just come together and show support for those who are suffering without dragging in extra baggage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.