ASUS ROG Chakram mouse not working

In this thread I have mentioned that my ASUS ROG Chakram mouse is not working.

I kinda found out that it might have something to do with the receiver (or maybe not.....)

The receiver is plugged in on the left side of my notebook, and I use my mouse right handed (so technically there is a notebook in between). In this setting I have mouse stutters.

When I place the mouse alongside the receiver (on the left side) there are no stutters. Also, when plugged in via USB it is all working as is should [no stutters].

I guess this leaves me thinking that this has something to do with the USB receiver not working as it should be. It cannot be distance related, because this setup must, and should, be working on a distance of about 60 cm.

What do you guys think? Is this USB receiver related?

I have tested it on another notebook (patch KB5000842 on this one, not installed but only KB5001330) with an AMD CPU and Radeon graphics, with also USB receiver left side/mouse right (notebook also in the middle) and here it's working as it should (so, no distance issue).

Might it still have something to do with these Microsoft Updates KB5001330 & KB5000842, and/or in combination with a nvidia (RTX260) GPU and/or 144 Hz panel/display?
Or is something else into play here....?!

28 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

My suggestion would be to do this again https://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-block-kb5001330-patch-tuesday-update-affecting-game-performance/ on the troublesome notebook and see if the stutters go away, maybe you have an undocumented issue with the update?

Yes. I was thinking the same thing (or get a new/other mouse :unsure:).

Hopefully in the 21H1 update coming later in these couple of months ahead this will all be fixed...

5 hours ago, Steven P. said:

My suggestion would be to do this again https://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-block-kb5001330-patch-tuesday-update-affecting-game-performance/ on the troublesome notebook and see if the stutters go away, maybe you have an undocumented issue with the update?

Yes. Uninstalling both patches did (once again) the trick!

I guess I have one of those rare occasions now that even a fix for a fix doesn't work... :cry::no:

• Like 2

Now I'm not so sure anymore.... I uninstalled these patches. But the mouse keeps stuttering. Whereas the trackpad isn't.

On my other notebook (AMD CPU and Ryzen GPU) with patches installed are no hickups. So... it seems maybe ASUS ROG Chakram and/or Intel and/or nvidia related.

A Logitech mouse doesn't seem to have this issue on this Intel/nvidia notebook/system...

What to do? Wait for the 21H1 update and hope to to be fixed, or for an ASUS Chakram update?
Or hope to return this mouse (because of malfunctioning) and exchange it for a Razer Deathadder V2 Pro or alike?

Hmm, this is the exact other way around https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100165-Any-one-Else-have-their-mouse-lag

Maybe it is a USB port conflict, but also do you have a mouse speed setting in your BIOS? In my Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI if I do not increase the mouse speed up to 2X then my wired mouse (Razer Basalisk V2) lags like hell in the BIOS but it is fine in Windows hahaha?

are you sure it isn't the mouse itself at fault at this point? have you tried it on other systems?

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Hmm, this is the exact other way around https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100165-Any-one-Else-have-their-mouse-lag

Maybe it is a USB port conflict, but also do you have a mouse speed setting in your BIOS? In my Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI if I do not increase the mouse speed up to 2X then my wired mouse (Razer Basalisk V2) lags like hell in the BIOS but it is fine in Windows hahaha?

I juist compressed-air the USB port.... let's see what this brings.

Let's see how it goes and holds up...

40 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

are you sure it isn't the mouse itself at fault at this point? have you tried it on other systems?

...on another system (AMD CPU/Ryzen GPU) it's working. For now.

Hello,

If you temporarily move the mouse to the opposite side of the computer so that it is next to the wireless USB adapter, does the misbehavior still occur?  Also, have the batteries on the mouse been fully charged/replaced?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

If you temporarily move the mouse to the opposite side of the computer so that it is next to the wireless USB adapter, does the misbehavior still occur?  Also, have the batteries on the mouse been fully charged/replaced?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

As I mentioned: the mouse is functioning as it should be when placing in close range, directly, on the side with the USB adapter.

There is only the notebook in between the USB adapter and mouse.

Mouse is fully charged (has no replaceable batteries).

It kinda looks okay for now after using the compressed air on the (empty) USB port. Fingers crossed if this helped. Let's find out today!

Too bad.

There is still stuttering. Mainly after waking up the notebook. But also some time afterwards when the notebook is running (again) and all temp-files and remote-states should have been gone.

What to do? Try to get another mouse (and hope this is solved) or something else?

I see that the mouse offers Bluetooth connection, does the notebook support BT? The mouse also can be used wired, have you tried to use the mouse while it is plugged in and see if the issue still exists?

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I see that the mouse offers Bluetooth connection, does the notebook support BT? The mouse also can be used wired, have you tried to use the mouse while it is plugged in and see if the issue still exists?

It looks, for now, that BT has less to no stuttering. I have to work with this a little longer to know for sure...

However, some features as the 'magical' joystick is not working via BT (only via USB dongle/2.4 band).

1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

It looks, for now, that BT has less to no stuttering. I have to work with this a little longer to know for sure...

However, some features as the 'magical' joystick is not working via BT (only via USB dongle/2.4 band).

Of course, it was worth a shot regardless. Have you contacted Asus in regards to this issue? Perhaps there is firmware or another method that they are aware of?

12 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Of course, it was worth a shot regardless. Have you contacted Asus in regards to this issue? Perhaps there is firmware or another method that they are aware of?

I tried to find something on there pages. Unsuccesful.

I have just issued a request for this at them.

2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I tried to find something on there pages. Unsuccesful.

I have just issued a request for this at them.

Good, at least you might get some response as to what is going on.

For some reason the stuttering is far less and in some timeframes even gone.

I did install the latest C/D patch for Windows yesterday. But I haven't read anything in the release notes on 3rd party peripherals/mice with no more lag/stuttering.

What can than be the case here?!

47 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

For some reason the stuttering is far less and in some timeframes even gone.

I did install the latest C/D patch for Windows yesterday. But I haven't read anything in the release notes on 3rd party peripherals/mice with no more lag/stuttering.

What can than be the case here?!

Kinda funny... just when I say so... my mouse keeps having hickups and stutterings again :wacko: