Share a folder on an internal network with another user

It's about time I learned how to do this.

I have two PCs in the house.

PC #1 is called KM-PC. My user account is called kingm (going by what the folder is called in C:\Users, anyway).

PC #2 is called KM-Server.

I want to share a folder on KM-Server that gives Read/Write access to kingm only.

I right-clicked on the folder in question > Give access to > Specific people and tried entering \\KM-PC\kingm but I get: "Windows was unable to find \\KM-PC\kingm"

Any idea what I should instead type in the box? There appears to be no network browser.

If I choose Everyone as the user, I can access the folder on KM-PC just fine, but that would mean anyone on my network also has access and I don't want that.

If "kingm" is a Microsoft account, you may have to use the email address you used to setup kingm on that PC.

Oh btw, yes my user group folder is called neobo but my account is "Steven Parker" linked to my hotmail on the same PC, so I know for sure you won't have luck using the name of the user folder.

Just now, Steven P. said:

If "kingm" is a Microsoft account, you may have to use the email address you used to setup kingm on that PC.

It is indeed a Microsoft account.

I tried to add \\KM-PC\<full email address> and even simply <full email address> but I get the same message.

Why not try it the other way around. Share the folder on KM-Server and only allow Administrators access (or if you specifically require just read access, create a new account on the server PC for that purpose).

Go to your other PC and navigate to \\KM-Server\<share name> (where <share name> could be Pr0n)  🤓 and you will be prompted to enter a user name and password, this will be \\KM-Server\<accountname> and the password. Your client PC will remember that for future use and you can even map it to a drive letter.

"Give access to > Specific people" would work how you expect it to in an Active Directory environment, however not for standalone PC's on a home network.

KM-Server can only share to user accounts that exist on KM-Server, not accounts on other PC's KM-Server knows nothing about.

Essentially do as Steven P mentioned. If you created a local user account on KM-Server called "media" and set a password, you could then use this account to access any shares from KM-PC by going to \\KM-Server\ entering the username / password, telling windows to remember the password. You will then be able to access any shares the user "media" has access to seamlessly in the future.