Multiple 2.4GHz USB mice/devices in the same area (and different brands). Is this causing stuttering issues?

In a post here I mentioned I had stutterings on a Razer mouse (and previously an Asus one). Both high end.

This week I received a new mouse. Everything went OK (single computer), until my gf turned on her computer on the same table.

It just popped my mind that maybe different wireless - all operating on a 2.GHz band - might be causing these problems....

I mean.. there's a (1) Razor mouse, (2) Logitech mouse and (3) Logitech keyboard. Each with a different 2.4 GHz USB-adapter plugged in.

Can this cause interference with/in these devices?

• Like 1

• kiddingguy changed the title to Multiple 2.4GHz USB mice/devices in the same area (and different brands). Is this causing stuttering issues?
1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

In a post here I mentioned I had stutterings on a Razer mouse (and previously an Asus one). Both high end.

This week I received a new mouse. Everything went OK (single computer), until my gf turned on her computer on the same table.

It just popped my mind that maybe different wireless - all operating on a 2.GHz band - might be causing these problems....

I mean.. there's a (1) Razor mouse, (2) Logitech mouse and (3) Logitech keyboard. Each with a different 2.4 GHz USB-adapter plugged in.

Can this cause interference with/in these devices?

Unlikely but it’s easy enough to check by turning off all the other devices. 

On 16/07/2021 at 14:56, adrynalyne said:

Unlikely but it’s easy enough to check by turning off all the other devices. 

When the notebook of my girlfriend was turned off (and two usb-devices were offline) everything went smooth....

Hence, this question...

• 2 weeks later...

Possible issue maybe found... the  Anker 4-port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub

Read on for the "trouble shooting"..

--

I did a little trouble shooting on the devices (connected to my computer).

It's and external (gaming) 5GB HHD, a RGB-mousepad, the Razer USB for charging (and stable/non-stuttering) connection ;)) and a running watch charger.

I also have an Anker 4-port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub (1 USB connector split down to 4 USB-port options)

When  all abovementioned devices in this USB-hub are connected via this Anker-USB-device I came to notice that the stuttering occurs.

Plugged in separately, directly in the computer, everything runs fine.

The USB-dongle of the Razer mouse is in another, directly connected, USB-port in my notebook (I have three built-in USB ports on this ASUS gaming notebook)

The "USB-setup": (1) Anker 4-port USB hub, (2) USB-dongle of my Razer mouse and (3) a fingerprint scanner.

So... can it be that this 4-port USB device is causing issues? That maybe too much devices are connected (and/or are using some sort of bandwith). Although, I can understand that only whilst playing games. The other devices are ''just there';

the mousepad just for the power of the RGB, the gaming-HDD is mostly running idle, the Razer-cable for charging only when connected, and my running device is only plugged in for charging (and syncing) once/twice a week (and even disconnected from the hub).

Is this 4-port USB causing issues or even broken?

Or can I better have another, more power-driven (maybe a 2 USB-connection to my notebook), USB-hub?

EDIT:

Although it's strange that my mouse - connected to a plugged in USB-dongle - is having problems with a USB-hub plugged in on another USB-port. Or is something off/not going 'as it should' on my notebooks mobo?

EDIT2:

Can another USB-hub with a USB-C connection be a better choice than a 'regular' USB 3.1?

Edited by kiddingguy

Personal opinion: Don't bother with USB hubs unless necessary, and only plug them in when those times are necessary. I've experienced nothing but issues with them.

On 30/07/2021 at 10:13, Nick H. said:

Personal opinion: Don't bother with USB hubs unless necessary, and only plug them in when those times are necessary. I've experienced nothing but issues with them.

And what if not...?! :ike:

Better go with an USB-C one, than an USB 3.0A ?

Or have another brand, like Belkin or Kensington for this?

On 30/07/2021 at 04:13, Nick H. said:

Agreed.

I had stuttering on a Logitech mouse when its USB-A receiver was plugged into one of those multi-port hubs on a Macbook Air.  The mouse clearly didn't like the hub.

But when I plugged the receiver into a solo USB-A to C dongle... it was fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 30/07/2021 at 10:53, kiddingguy said:

And if not :ike:

If you absolutely have to have a USB hub, someone else will have to recommend you one. The only suggestion I could make would be to make sure it has its own power supply.

On 30/07/2021 at 11:00, Michael Scrip said:

Agreed.

I had stuttering on a Logitech mouse when its USB-A receiver was plugged into one of those multi-port hubs on a Macbook Air.  The mouse clearly didn't like the hub.

But when I plugged the receiver into a solo USB-A to C dongle... it was fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kinda strange, isn't it?!

Why's that anyhow? Drivers or are these devices, eventually, be connected to the same 'wiring' and connectors on the motherboard? (and maybe having issues there with each other?)

On 30/07/2021 at 11:03, Nick H. said:

If you absolutely have to have a USB hub, someone else will have to recommend you one. The only suggestion I could make would be to make sure it has its own power supply.

That's the "only" good this about this USB hub... no external power ;)

But also its disadvantage in times like these...

On 30/07/2021 at 11:18, kiddingguy said:

That's the "only" good this about this USB hub... no external power ;)

No, that's what is holding the hub back. Do you think it is magically creating extra USB ports with no added power requirement?

Get a USB hub with its own power supply or I'd be willing to bet you experience the same issues with your replacement hub.

On 30/07/2021 at 11:22, Nick H. said:

No, that's what is holding the hub back. Do you think it is magically creating extra USB ports with no added power requirement?

Get a USB hub with its own power supply or I'd be willing to bet you experience the same issues with your replacement hub.

It can also be that the USB-dongle and the regular USB-hub -plugged in next to the USB-port of the mouse- don't like each other somehow.

But... when the USB-hub is plugged in into a USB-C port, it might work. See also the case of @Michael Scrip

Haha, fair enough! I've suggested against getting a USB hub and you've insisted that you want one. I've suggested to get one with external power, and you've said you really want one without. I'm all out of suggestions. :rofl:

On 30/07/2021 at 11:33, Nick H. said:

Haha, fair enough! I've suggested against getting a USB hub and you've insisted that you want one. I've suggested to get one with external power, and you've said you really want one without. I'm all out of suggestions. :rofl:

Just asking for suggestions here on what options are suitable & possible with preference for no power supply on this usb hub... in combination with my gaming notebook :ninja:

(3 USB connectors on the left side; 1 USB-C on the back)

On 30/07/2021 at 02:48, kiddingguy said:

Just asking for suggestions here on what options are suitable & possible with preference for no power supply on this usb hub... in combination with my gaming notebook :ninja:

(3 USB connectors on the left side; 1 USB-C on the back)

I am not sure it really matters if the hubs are non-powered. You have a finite amount of power coming from that port, and if I pulled the specs on the right machine, the only difference between your usb-c and A ports are the ports themselves, and nothing else.

I am not a connoisseur of usb hubs, but these are what I use:

Powered: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerIQ-Charging-MacBook-Surface/dp/B00VDVCQ84/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=powered+usb+hub+anker&qid=1627639234&sr=8-4

Passive: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Unibody-Aluminum-Portable-Notebook/dp/B00O0KISQE/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anker+4+port+hub&qid=1627639362&sr=8-4

I use the passive one as a last resort, and only for low powered devices or those that have their own power supply.

Hello,

If I understand things correctly, then a USB hub is not required, and all of the devices can be plugged into the ASUS gaming laptop.  Is that correct?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 30/07/2021 at 12:12, goretsky said:

Hello,

If I understand things correctly, then a USB hub is not required, and all of the devices can be plugged into the ASUS gaming laptop.  Is that correct?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes, but not simultaneously. 

On 30/07/2021 at 12:03, adrynalyne said:

I am not sure it really matters if the hubs are non-powered. You have a finite amount of power coming from that port, and if I pulled the specs on the right machine, the only difference between your usb-c and A ports are the ports themselves, and nothing else.

I am not a connoisseur of usb hubs, but these are what I use:

Powered: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerIQ-Charging-MacBook-Surface/dp/B00VDVCQ84/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=powered+usb+hub+anker&qid=1627639234&sr=8-4

Passive: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Unibody-Aluminum-Portable-Notebook/dp/B00O0KISQE/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anker+4+port+hub&qid=1627639362&sr=8-4

I use the passive one as a last resort, and only for low powered devices or those that have their own power supply.

The USB-ports are located on different sides (left and back). And I guess different "power outlets" are there onto the mobo to support this! (and detracts the (USB-)power from another place)

And... they are not physically next to each other and might also help with the 'interference' of some kind.

Just some thoughts of me on this. Might not be correct....

Edited by kiddingguy

Hello,

Do the watch charger and the RGB mousepad (?) need to be plugged into the computer?  If they are not sharing data with the computer, can't you just use a separate USB charger to power them, or a powered hub not plugged into the computer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky