Did you (or plan to) upgrade your hardware for Windows 11?

I have done a slight upgrade that pertains to Windows 11. I bought a TPM module for my Gigabyte board GIGABYTE GC-TPM2.0_S for €13.99 I will be installing it today. But my board already had the software level TPM. A module is safer because it doesn't reset with BIOS updates or if the battery is removed.

My setup is fully compliant with Windows 11:

• Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wi-Fi
  • Intel i9-9990K
  • 32GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws (2x16)
  • KFA2 2070 RTX SUPER

I'm running off the assumption that the final insider build will have the standard expiry date stuff that they usually do, I'll keep using that for about a year before i upgrade.

I'm gonna upgrade on my timescale not Microsofts. 😄

Nope, as I still think there is a reasonable chance (baring any major motherboard hardware failure) ill be using the same motherboard, which I had since May 2012, beyond Oct 2025 (end of Win10 support).

but I am glad I can do pretty much everything I need to on Linux Mint, which I fully switched over to in Jan 2019. because with my current hardware, i5-3550 CPU/1050 Ti 4GB GPU etc, it will likely have proper support (i.e. proper NVIDIA drivers) until at least 2027(i.e. Mint v21.x series), possibly 2029(i.e. Mint v22.x series), given the general release pattern of Mint.

• Like 2

Possibly. I'm wafting to see just how locked down the workarounds are to get it installed on unsupported hardware. My guess will be ... not very locked down.

• Like 2

Not so much for 11 ... but once I can get my hands on a 3080/3080ti at or near MSRP ... I'll be doing a new build (just because my current desktop is fairly old).

Hello,

I am not planning on any major hardware upgrades for Windows 11 at the current time.  All of my computers have TPM (either daughtercards or embedded support) so that will not be an issue.  If a newer GPU becomes available at a reasonable price I might consider it, but that is not an upgrade specifically due to Windows 11.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Nope. My desktop is a i7-770k so I am kinda figuring it will run it. My notebook cant run it and I am thinking of trying a MacBook with a m1 chip. I havent had a apple system since my mac mini g3.

Not intentionally to run Windows 11. I am still toying with the idea of getting a new computer, but my reasons would be for gaming. If that computer meets the requirements for Windows 11 then ok, but otherwise Windows 10 will have continued support until 2025 so I'll be ok with that.

Not for windows 11, but my current pc is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway..  It works fine for most everything I do..  But am looking at upgrade just to be able to transcode video faster with x265..  I really need a more current video card for this - and pc is just getting dated, and can not run the latest and greatest cards, etc. 

Like to move to nvme for ssd as well.  Quite a few updates in hardware and tech available in current hardware - so its time.  But my desire to update has zero to do with windows 11.

If I get new hardware then I will switch to ubuntu completely, I will use proton to play steam games, the very few I do, but there is an slight performance penalty, which will be noticeable in my current laptop. So indeed, windows 10 is my last OS as I do not like forced requirements in a OS

My laptops are Windows 11 compatible but no if they weren't, I would absolutely not be upgrading to newer hardware unless the full utility value of those machines died down some day due to the software running very slow or developing some hardware defect.

I've an older one from 2014 capable of running Windows 7, 8.1, 10 which I kept on 7/8.1 only as Windows 10 slows it down even with Spectre/Meltdown fixes disabled and no firmware updates that caused a massive performance slowdown. The other one from 2020 I will keep on a stable, highly tuned version of Windows 10 for its entire life, even though it's a powerful machine capable of running Windows 11. The newest one from 2021, I will soon be selling as it comes with Modern Moron Standby which I cannot tolerate and wastes power in sleep mode. I will be replacing it with a new machine with ACPI S3 sleep which will obviously be capable of running Windows 11.

But Windows 11 will go on it, if and only if they keep the classic Taskbar intact with everything working correctly with it (currently some things are broken such as the emoji panel) and if I can disable some of the very regressive changes to Explorer such as the dumbed down toolbar and the dumbed down context menus. Otherwise, I will install Windows 10 21H2 even on brand new hardware. I have absolutely no hopes from the new Taskbar of Windows 11.

The new Taskbar is missing way too many features for them to restore or fix (I don't think there is enough talent or concern for the end user left at Microsoft to rebuild the taskbar as it was with newer frameworks). They will just omit a ton of functionality and call it complete. Just like Microsoft destroyed Start and could never again build a decent UI, the same thing has happened with the new Taskbar. Normal users will love it and keep wondering what's missing or broken, but it's not for me.

So, no, hardware upgrade just for a new OS? NO. Upgrading existing systems to Windows 11? Also NO except for the newest machine for running experiments like Windows 11 if the core UI becomes usable. 😛

For personal use no, I won't be upgrading my hardware. Currently the only thing which is holding it back is my CPU - Ryzen 5 1600X which I purchased in late 2018 so it's not even two years old for me yet. There wouldn't be a particularly huge difference if I upgraded to a 3rd gen Ryzen 5 so I'm just not going to do it.

By time Windows 10 goes out of support, that hardware will need upgrading anyway so I'll just wait if Microsoft lock 11 down too far. For personal use I switched back to Windows from Linux when Vista came around as I was so impressed with it, it was also around this time I decided to get into PC gaming however I don't game as much as I used to and with proton existing, it may be feasible for me to switch back to Linux as a primary OS in the next few years anyway.

I've also started investing into Apple's hardware and have been very impressed with both M1 and Mac OS (it's come a long way since I last used it properly in version 9.x). So Windows 11 overall is becoming a very low priority for me for personal use.

As for professional use, I am happy we recently refreshed our hardware with 11th gen intel i5s so the Windows 11 hardware restrictions won't be an issue and can be rolled out without issue once it has been released and ready.

If i come across a reasonably priced Gaming Laptop to replace my current one that is NOT Windows 11 Compatible unlike my Main Desktop,  Then i'd pull the trigger and upgrade that machine most likely

Main System should have no trouble though

Gigabyte B460M_DS3H

Intel 10700

16GB of Ram

Nvidia Geforce 1660 Super

500GB M.2 Nvme boot drive

1TB Game Sata SSD

1TB Storage drive

My options are waiting with the Laptop til Windows 10 Support ends in 2025, or upgrading it sooner, all depends on funds and such what i'll do at this point

Nope I'm running it on 2 systems:

Ryzen 2600 on a B350 mobo (built-in TPM)

16gb 3000 ram 

Nvidia 2060 6gb 

Ryzen 5800x on a B550 mobo (built-in TPM)

32mb 3600 ram

Nvidia 3070 8gb 

I have absolutely no intentions of upgrading to Windows 11 on either of the 2 computers I have here that are capable of running it. In fact, those 2 computers that can run Windows 11 may not even have Windows 10 on them for the duration of it's support!

• 2 months later...

Windows 11 is a factor in both desktop (motherboard and components) and portable (notebook) upgrades/replacements planned for next week.  The desktop side is planned out - the only decision left is the portable side.  For once, I am purchasing brick and mortar due to supply-chain disruption (not Amazon).

I upgraded mine without spending a lot of money and sold my old MB/CPU/RAM for $200.  This setup will last me several years and is fast enough for what I do. As a software/hardware tech for a large office, I always take on the new OS so I know as much about it as possible before it makes it's way into the office. 

ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS/CSM

Intel Core i7-10700KF

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

It's also the first time in 20 years I've paid for building a computer. The office usually provided me with gear so I could test out the latest hardware.

• 1 month later...
On 06/10/2021 at 23:33, warwagon said:

....maybe....but if I can run windows 11 on unsupported hardware i'm going to.

warwagon - it's possible - my G3258 desktop does (Pro for Workstations) despite no TPM and too few cores - and all I am missing is the Windows Subsystem for Android.