Layout bug in Neowin's nav bar

As soon as I sign in to Neowin, the nav bar at the top starts occupying two rows. This started to happen since two days ago (I think.)

1382944409_Screenshot2021-08-11at00-02-51Neowin.thumb.jpeg.f63eeb2f24a2dbfd7fb44f79d489d316.jpeg

Things get worse if I try to scroll down: Part of the article always remains obscured.

I could reproduce this problem in Firefox and Edge.

• Like 1

Same here... This issue is only in Firefox as it's fine in Chrome and Edge.   Neowin, please test site changes with Firefox.

I think it is to do with your member names being long. I will report it, maybe a good trade off is to do how browsers do it and not display the name in the Nav header, just the photo avatar.

• Like 1

I proposed this to devs, waiting for a response

SNAG-0012.png

I suggested the icons be spaced so they are touch friendly too (here they are using the default spacing we now have on the page).

• Like 2

On 11/08/2021 at 10:47, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Same here... This issue is only in Firefox as it's fine in Chrome and Edge.   Neowin, please test site changes with Firefox.

On 11/08/2021 at 12:15, Fleet Command said:

I noticed that my username here is now taking two lines instead of one.

firefox's rendering engine isn't the best IMO. it has a habit of overly padding things compared to other browsers :/ just like the good ol IE days (/s) I've had to make firefox specific CSS padding/margin adjustments to a couple sites/pages I help maintain here at work and it's a pain because it shouldn't be needed.

A joke among the old-time developer is that one can assess the programming experience of software developers by asking them many characters do they allocate to human first names and last names in their databases. Experienced developers allocate 255 characters, no less. Inexperienced developers think 50 or even 20 is enough. The longest family names they can come up with is something like "Ratzenburger".

On 11/08/2021 at 11:56, Steven P. said:

I think it is to do with your member names being long. I will report it, maybe a good trade off is to do how browsers do it and not display the name in the Nav header, just the photo avatar.

That doesn't make sense... I am using the same username when test on Chrome and Edge. LOL

On 11/08/2021 at 21:26, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

That doesn't make sense... I am using the same username when test on Chrome and Edge. LOL

See Brandon's post.

It is fixed, ctrl +f5 on main page

SNAG-0008.png

We also fixed the search field behavior (now opens to the right covering the icons) and we also fixed the pixelated rounded corners of the search field

SNAG-0010.png

I also changed Main to light + dark over several days and my choice stuck. The main page relies on cookies to save the theme, the forums saves it to your account (not cookie preference).

• Like 1