Windows 11 - Missing new UI elements

I finally got Windows 11 to install in virtual box, after turning on 3D Acceleration with the VBox drivers I got rounded corners... but the settings are still the old ones from windows 10, the context menus are the old ones just rounded... and explorer is the old windows 10 explorer...

anyone know how to get this to show the new UI?

This was a clean install from the official windows 11 ISO

On 25/08/2021 at 17:22, Mateus said:

What's the build number?  I'm running 22000.132 and it has the new UI.

10.0.21996.1, This was a clean install from the windows 11 ISO... the new start menu / taskbar are there, rounded corners are there, but all the other new UI is missing... even the system tray changes are missing

On 25/08/2021 at 23:25, neufuse said:

10.0.21996.1, This was a clean install from the windows 11 ISO

10.0.21996.1 is the leak, not the official Windows 11, it didn't include much of what was in the official Windows Insider builds.

build 22000.51 was the first Windows Insider build to be released https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-the-first-windows-11-build-to-the-dev-channel/

You can follow the steps in this article to turn your VM into a supported Windows Insider build and upgrade to an official build https://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-download-and-install-windows-11-insider-builds-on-unsupported-hardware/ because that build does not support updating Windows 11 without modification.

On 25/08/2021 at 17:37, Steven P. said:

10.0.21996.1 is the leak, not the official Windows 11, it didn't include much of what was in the official Windows Insider builds.

build 22000.51 was the first Windows Insider build to be released https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-the-first-windows-11-build-to-the-dev-channel/

You can follow the steps in this article to turn your VM into a supported Windows Insider build and upgrade to an official build https://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-download-and-install-windows-11-insider-builds-on-unsupported-hardware/ because that build does not support updating Windows 11 without modification.

This is the ISO I downloaded from the insider site... that's the version that installed from it... wasn't even thinking about the build number being older... I downloaded it again and did it in Hyper-V got the same build number strangely

I never had an ISO from the leak

That is really odd. I went through all the same steps you did and can confirm the name of the ISO the same as yours

SNAG-0015.png

You might want to setup that VM again and make sure you are mounting/booting from the correct ISO.

SNAG-0016.png

Here are my settings ^ Ensure you are selecting Windows 10 (64-bit) when setting up the clean install.

Windows is now "Downloading the latest Windows 11 build"... no idea what triggered that, you'd of thought it would of done that during the checking for updates part of the install not later

On 26/08/2021 at 00:08, neufuse said:

Windows is now "Downloading the latest Windows 11 build"... no idea what triggered that

I never tried the ISO way, maybe it is a staging build that upgrades to the latest one, odd if it is though!

On 25/08/2021 at 18:10, Steven P. said:

I never tried the ISO way, maybe it is a staging build that upgrades to the latest one, odd if it is though!

duno, this is my first try to get a running install with the ISO before I just upgraded windows 10 installs

Doing something, taking a while too...

Screenshot 2021-08-25 181219.png

ha....... now it's on 10.0.22000.160 but now I have no rounded corners but the other UI elements are there... it flip flopped

This is why beta software is fun :)

Screenshot 2021-08-25 182813.png

On 25/08/2021 at 15:29, neufuse said:

ha....... now it's on 10.0.22000.160 but now I have no rounded corners but the other UI elements are there... it flip flopped

This is why beta software is fun :)

Screenshot 2021-08-25 182813.png

That would (I think) be due to lack of hardware acceleration.

On 25/08/2021 at 19:57, adrynalyne said:

That would (I think) be due to lack of hardware acceleration.

would be odd to be there then not there though, it obviously was working with rounded corners at first then flipped off. maybe its just getting confused about capabilities on updates

On 25/08/2021 at 18:48, neufuse said:

would be odd to be there then not there though, it obviously was working with rounded corners at first then flipped off. maybe its just getting confused about capabilities on updates

Hyper-V acted the same way for me. 

On 25/08/2021 at 22:19, adrynalyne said:

Hyper-V acted the same way for me. 

I remember back when WDDM came out and it was like this...... didnt get aero randomly, did get it, then didnt......

On 26/08/2021 at 07:57, neufuse said:

I remember back when WDDM came out and it was like this...... didnt get aero randomly, did get it, then didnt......

I tried forcing WDDM drivers in group policy but it didn’t help. I’m still trying to figure it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2021 at 16:32, adrynalyne said:

I tried forcing WDDM drivers in group policy but it didn’t help. I’m still trying to figure it out. 

You have to activate windows to get rounded corners in the last few builds. Same as changing wallpaper within settings.