Neowin Deals - Lifetime offers aren't actually lifetime: Update (Yes they are)

Hi,

Purchased lifetime PureVPN via neowin deals back in 2016 (via stackcommerce).

This was listed as lifetime but was really just a 5 year deal (As it just expired).

What is the Neowin view on this as it could be perceived as false advertising? There are numerous Neowin deals with lifetime in the title however I get the feeling they aren't.

More of a discussion point as can't be arsed chasing PureVPN or Stackcommerce as not worth the effort. 

It is annoying though as have bought a few deals to help support the site over the years and get the feeling more will be expiring as time goes on.

Thanks

Edited by Sledge
Update to show outcome

I'm not speaking on behalf of Neowin here, but personally I've always considered a lifetime deal to be the lifetime of the product, not me.

It would be interesting to read the offer that you initially signed up to though, and check the fine print.

Could be that PureVPN changed their contract, so you can no longer get lifetime. I don't think that's our fault. Companies do weird things to get more money.

On 26/10/2021 at 22:13, Mindovermaster said:

Could be that PureVPN changed their contract, so you can no longer get lifetime. I don't think that's our fault. Companies do weird things to get more money.

Companies can’t just change contracts on a whim and have it be retroactive. Well…they can but it’s breaking contract law. 

This is just a sleazy company doing sleazy things. 

On 26/10/2021 at 14:08, Sledge said:

Hi,

Purchased lifetime PureVPN via neowin deals back in 2016 (via stackcommerce).

This was listed as lifetime but was really just a 5 year deal (As it just expired).

What is the Neowin view on this as it could be perceived as false advertising? There are numerous Neowin deals with lifetime in the title however I get the feeling they aren't.

More of a discussion point as can't be arsed chasing PureVPN or Stackcommerce as not worth the effort. 

It is annoying though as have bought a few deals to help support the site over the years and get the feeling more will be expiring as time goes on.

Thanks

I can follow up on this if you PM me the details of the purchase (email used to purchase and order number).

I just want to point out that Neowin is just one of hundreds of sites that work with Stackcommerce to sell these "lifetime" deals. It always makes me wonder how $60 lifetime of PIA VPN compares to my annual full fee cost at PIA VPN. Only recently I purchased a "lifetime" of AdGuard for $29.99: AdGuard Family Plan: Lifetime Subscription + $30 Store Credit

If you look at the deal, it is basically free! I received my Store credit a week later and purchased AdGuard VPN: 5-Yr Subscription for $29.99.

If the AdGuard Family Plan stops working after 5 years I won't lose any sleep over it for what I paid, but I do agree that people shouldn't be wording deals like that if they can't honor them.

I do appreciate your support of the site, really! 🤗

A good news follow up to finish the topic.

I emailed StackCommerce with my original order number and they replied back with:

Hi ###,

Thanks for reaching out!  We are so sorry that you are having issues with your PureVPN, I'm happy to assist you with your concern.

Unfortunately, our partners at PureVPN no longer offer a lifetime subscription. However, we do have another amazing lifetime VPN through our partner, Keep Solid VPN Unlimited.

Features:
•    You can use this VPN on up to 5 devices simultaneously
•    Access 400+ VPN servers w/ 80+ locations globally, For the full list of servers available click here
•    VPN Unlimited also allows access to servers for US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, ESPN+ & HBO Now.
•    Multiple language options for iOS, Android, Mac OS X and Windows
•    no speed or bandwidth limits and a zero log policy
•    includes torrent (P2P) servers
•    Includes kill switch on iOS, macOS, Android, and Windows platforms
•    Military-grade AES 256-bit encryption
•    Unlimited traffic and connection speed
•    Updates included

With VPN Unlimited, you'll enjoy a premium browsing experience with handy features, like Trusted Networks, Ping Tests & Favorite Servers and proprietary apps for all platforms.

If you would like to accept the substitution, please reply back with a valid email address you'd like to redeem with. Once received, I'll get you a license code and redemption instructions right away.

Looking forward to your reply, 
Daniel J. 
Customer Support Team Member

I replied and have received a replacement VPN service. (Not tested yet as using my mates pureVPN account for now).

So there you go, it is actually lifetime support. Always nice when companies follow through so happy feelings all round.

p.s. Thanks Steven for offering to jump in.

• +Sledge changed the title to Neowin Deals - Lifetime offers aren't actually lifetime: Update (Yes they are)