SpinLaunch (updates)

Not sure about this; an arm spins at hypersonic velocity in a vacuum chamber, then releases a vehicle vertically through a replaceable barrier. An "upper stage" motor kicks in at high altitude,  taking it to orbit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/09/spinlaunch-completes-first-test-flight-of-alternative-rocket.html

Alternative rocket builder SpinLaunch completes first test flight

KEY POINTS

• SpinLaunch, which is building an alternative method of launching spacecraft to orbit, last month conducted its first test flight of a prototype in New Mexico.

• The company is developing a launch system that uses kinetic energy as its primary method to get off the ground – with a vacuum-sealed centrifuge spinning the rocket at several times the speed of sound before releasing.

>

interesting.

I can see this as a good way to save fuel for unmanned rockets. can't see it being viable for manned rockets though.

Chuckled a little about this until I watched Scott's video ... yea, ok... it's plausible. 

Obviously not for humans or anything you want to keep alive (aside from tardigrades) ... 10k Gs would transform a human into goo.

On 10/11/2021 at 20:08, Jim K said:

Chuckled a little about this until I watched Scott's video ... yea, ok... it's plausible. 

Obviously not for humans or anything you want to keep alive (aside from tardigrades) ... 10k Gs would transform a human into goo.

I quite like Scotts thought of it being more viable for launching from the moon.. You'd be able to use a MUCH lower speed from there so human launching would be viable and no worries about making fuel...

Of course, get the timing wrong and you're going smoosh in the launch tube.. :p

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 17:47, FloatingFatMan said:

I quite like Scotts thought of it being more viable for launching from the moon.. You'd be able to use a MUCH lower speed from there so human launching would be viable and no worries about making fuel...

Of course, get the timing wrong and you're going smoosh in the launch tube.. :p

Lunar ISRU (propellant & O2 production) are a natural for this. Even 10,000 G's aren't that much of a barrier; Raytheon's Excalibur guided cannon projectile handled 12,000 G's during tests in the 1990's.