Block websites at system level? Android way? Like hosts file in windows?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi. I want to block certain sites on my phone but I don't want an app that will keep track of all my site visits.

 

Can it be done, like in windows, by redirecting certain urls to local host at system level ?

 

I am on unjailbroken android 11 phone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • +E.Worm Jimmy changed the title to Block websites at system level? Android way? Like hosts file in windows?

Not that I know of. The only thing I could think of is to find some sort of DNS service that you can use to block websites and then set that up as the Private DNS provider on your mobile. I use PiHole myself at home but that does not work when I leave the house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/01/2022 at 01:09, MarkusDarkus said:

Not that I know of. The only thing I could think of is to find some sort of DNS service that you can use to block websites and then set that up as the Private DNS provider on your mobile. I use PiHole myself at home but that does not work when I leave the house.

Well - this might work since I mostly want to stop procrastinating at home - and wasting time.

 

Outside home is less important

 

 

But surely there must be a way????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/01/2022 at 00:45, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Hi. I want to block certain sites on my phone but I don't want an app that will keep track of all my site visits.

 

Can it be done, like in windows, by redirecting certain urls to local host at system level ?

 

I am on unjailbroken android 11 phone

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.modmy.com/how-modify-hosts-file-your-android-device%3famp

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

android does have a hosts file but it requires root to modify (Adaway uses the hosts file and that's why it requires root to use as example)

 

if there's a way to modify the hosts file without root then I'm not personally aware of it.

 

note: I can't open techbeck's link here at work to see if it's a non-root method

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look at Adfree for Android - does exactly that, downloads a host file and sets it to loopback etc. - will need root.

 

As the other people say, without root you probably won't get access to your hosts file

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/02/2022 at 09:26, Brandon H said:

android does have a hosts file but it requires root to modify (Adaway uses the hosts file and that's why it requires root to use as example)

 

if there's a way to modify the hosts file without root then I'm not personally aware of it.

 

note: I can't open techbeck's link here at work to see if it's a non-root method

Try this.   

 

https://www.modmy.com/how-modify-hosts-file-your-android-device

 

Posts a method of non root but I personally have not tested it.  The hosts file as something that's always been on Android I believe. I've been messing with it for a while now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/02/2022 at 13:00, techbeck said:

The hosts file as something that's always been on Android I believe

oh yeah, with Android's Linux/Unix origins it's always had a hosts file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.