What is your primary operating system for 2022?

Your primary OS at home is?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Your primary OS at home is?

• Windows older than 7
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8.0
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 10
    • Windows 11
    • macOS 10.x
    • macOS 11.x
    • macOS 12.x
    • Linux (specify distribution)
    • Other
  2. 2. Your primary OS for work is?

• Windows older than 7
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8.0
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 10
    • Windows 11
    • macOS 10.x
    • macOS 11.x
    • macOS 12.x
    • Linux (specify distribution)
    • Other

Nice poll Frank.

I upgraded my main system to Windows 11 when it got offered in November or December but was frustrated by the changes to the desktop, Windows Explorer, Task bar and other things, especially that which forced me to "View more options" in order to get a context menu command to edit an image using Paint dotnet for example. It seems like Microsoft has gone the way of Facebook, forcing extra clicks and work in order to achieve tasks in the OS. Anyway I downgraded back to Windows 10 within the window allowed (just over a week) so I didn't have to start from scratch with a clean install. System is i9-9900K, AORUS Z390 WiFi Pro, 32GB DDR4, NVIDIA 2070 RTX SUPER (fully Windows 11 compliant).

Work laptop x360 HP Pavilion i5-7200U is not Windows 11 compliant so it is still on Windows 10.

At home both my computers are on 11 now. Desktop is completely vanilla as it's mostly used as an HTPC and laptop I have Start11 on. No real issues besides the wandering tooltip issue on the taskbar.

At work they still have us on Windows 10 1909. Even worse though, our on-the-phone agents are using a VMware Horizon Windows 7 32bit VDI environment still and it runs like crap. It's a non-persistent VDI session too and uses an app called 'Profile Unity' to redirect docs/desktop etc to our personal network share drive. Not a great setup. We're working on converting to AWS but we have a bunch of old apps that need rewritten first to be properly compliant.

I voted for Linux for both work and home. I voted in the work section although I am retired. Using Linux Mint 19.3 on 6 machines and 1 has Mint 20.3. 

Also have 3 computers that are on Windows 10. 1 of those is wife's computer. Keep Windows around just so I don't completely forget how to use it in case I need to help some one out.

• Like 2

Windows 11 on both HTPC and Home / Gaming PC.
Windows 10 at work.

I've figured I rarely use the OS as an OS at home, mostly play games or back files up from my phone... and then from the PC to an external HDD every so often.

I can put up with Windows 11 for my use.

Although I have gotten use to the START button being placed in the middle now and quite like it.  It certainly saves me moving the mouse all the way to the bottom left corner.  But I also only use it to launch apps.  Windows 10 Start Menu was good.  If only I could group the icons and get rid of the recommended apps bit at the bottom, I'd be happy.  I don't actually click on good old "All Programs" or whatever it was in XP - complete waste of time (for MY usage).

10 on my home computers...desktop/notebook could be upgraded to 11 but I just don't see the point yet.

Work, depends.  Desktops are 10, one system on my camera uses XP, one uses 7 and the newer probe/well counter uses 10.

On 08/02/2022 at 09:46, Sir Topham Hatt said:

If only I could group the icons and get rid of the recommended apps bit at the bottom, I'd be happy.  I don't actually click on good old "All Programs" or whatever it was in XP - complete waste of time (for MY usage).

Start11 gives both those features on the 11 style menu if you don't mind a 3rd party app to get your functionality :) or heck you could even switch back to the 10 style menu with it if you desired

• Like 1

I use Fedora 35 (Gnome) at home on my main rig right now but do also have Windows 10 Pro on a laptop. I work in IT and it's Windows 10 Ent there.

Gee, I hope no one is using Windows 7 or older as their primary OS. LOL

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

On 08/02/2022 at 10:50, Mindovermaster said:

I'm using EndeavourOS (fork of Arch)

You forgot to end that sentence with BTW. LOL

On 08/02/2022 at 10:20, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

You forgot to end that sentence with BTW. LOL

Umm.. no..

Windows 10 at home, various different linux flavours at work as I use a variety of different workstations and servers throughout my day.

I want to love Windows 11, but there's certain issues that keep me from using it as a daily driver

Manjaro linux : Main reg :

3900x, 32gb 3600, 2x 1TB NVME, 2060Super

Laptop: Macbook Air M1 with Ubuntu server + KDE virtualized using UTM

RPI: official RPI OS 32 bit.Might upgrade

Thinking of selling the main reg as I dont game/use full potential (Linux is so  light) an might get a laptop with 5500 or 5700. You may help me choose here