It’s Been over 17 Years

My last activity here was on Wednesday October 27th 2004, which was 17 years, 3 months, and 13 days ago. I managed to make it back with some help.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't even recognize my account's activity until I found a picture post of a lunar eclipse that I had taken and matched up. Words are easily forgotten, but pictures remain.

One of the bigger surprises was seeing how neowin.net has such amazing content retention! If only I had kept my old computers and had taken more screenshots back then.

I would like to see more people come back to forums in general. It seems older ones like Amdmb.com have died or were rebranded.

• 1 month later...
On 03/04/2022 at 14:08, Wannes said:

Crazy how time flies but it feels to me I'm stuck in the past. I honestly do miss the days and especially conversations back then. 

Yeah - it was totally different when I joined over 20 years ago.

I miss modding scene and visual styles for XP and a lot of members that provided good content were lost a while back.

I think the outage that lasted a while made people think that there is no where to come back to so they moved on..

I cannot remember exactly but I also left for quite a while

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/04/2022 at 20:17, E.Worm Jimmy said:

I miss modding scene and visual styles for XP and a lot of members that provided good content were lost a while back.

I think the outage that lasted a while made people think that there is no where to come back to so they moved on..

We had a lot of outages and different hosts over the years until we partnered with Stardock in the beginning of 2005.

People change and very few people of old remains. Sadly indeed some people has left and I miss the times of old. Well, it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 20:17, E.Worm Jimmy said:

The modding scene was great. WinXP, Winamp, ... That's what I mean with I'm stuck in the past. My PC is an utility, nothing more and nothing less, whilst back in the day it was my "hobby".

On 04/04/2022 at 11:28, Steven P. said:

We had a lot of outages and different hosts over the years until we partnered with Stardock in the beginning of 2005.

Yeah, the outage wasn't an issue anymore. I remember the topics where you guys had to state the bandwith usage of Neowin, the investments, the patience, ... . 

• 4 weeks later...

I literally just came back here and realized I registered in January of 2002... that's just over 20 years ago. I believe I was still playing Quake 3 back then, haha.

Glad the site is still going. I still come here every so often to read some news, but I think you're right... a lot of people don't use forums as much as they used to. I miss those days.

It's hard to believe it has been over 20 years now; it doesn't seem so long ago that I was right here reading the news about Microsoft's brand new OS Windows XP. Neowin is still one of my daily visits even after all this time though I obviously don't post very much. I just like reading the articles. Most of the other sites I used to visit back then are long gone.

On 12/05/2022 at 21:19, Skyfrog said:

It's hard to believe it has been over 20 years now; 

You son of a bitch, you beat me by 14 days ..🤣 I joined Nov 30th 2001

On 12/05/2022 at 23:17, warwagon said:

You son of a bitch, you beat me by 14 days ..🤣 I joined Nov 30th 2001

I beat you by 10 ;) wow been a while

On 13/05/2022 at 12:07, Dick Montage said:

Some of us have been here so long that when we see a thread start with "It's been...", our brains go "..one week since you looked at me, cocked your head to the side and said, I'm angry"

Which then instantly takes me to What We Do In The Shadows season 3 

• Like 2

On 13/05/2022 at 13:10, Wir3Tap said:

Ahhh back in the day of trying to find Windows Vista leaks lmao..  

And then we realised what a sh*t show it was.

On September 18th it'll have been 21 years since I registered my forum account. It's been a wild ride over the years.

It's been over 21 years since I registered this account on Neowin, however, if I'm not mistaken, I think I  remember having an account registered before then that got deleted because of a database loss or something around those lines. 

I then almost left this site in recent years almost completely as I moved to Linux for several years, then last year Windows 11 and the poor  Virtual Reality compatibility in Linux bought me back to Windows and back to Neowin lol.

• Like 1

Won't hit the 20 year mark until Oct. 4th but it's been fun. Had issues with the one WWE topic where I couldn't keep my mouth shut about how fake and stupid I think that is and wound up with like 6 warnings, or something like that. Finally made myself leave that topic alone and got record all cleaned up! 

I've asked some crazy questions here and still got good replies. Remember one topic I started about what kind of weed was this in front yard that was over taking everything. None of the weed killers was getting it done, but the help I got made it so I could get rid of it finally.

I usually bounce back and forth from what I'm doing currently to this site just to check in on topics multiple times a day.

Edit: Always been one of my favorite sites and is one of the best sites on the net, IMO.

Edited by cork1958

I've only been here about half as long as most of you in this thread being just over 12 years now but it's been a ride indeed.

we've all had our ups and downs but I wouldn't trade this site for the world.

I don't tend to ask too many questions myself but I always love to look over other people's questions/answers and learn from them.