Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+)

Obi-Wan Kenobi, the new limited series from Lucasfilm, will debut May 25, exclusively on Disney+. The series stars Ewan McGregor, reprising his role as the iconic Jedi Master. You can get a first look at the striking Obi-Wan Kenobi teaser poster below, featuring the titular hero traversing a barren desert.

obi-wan-kenobi-teaser-poster.thumb.jpg.796497dece1f5f82ac26d0783030f069.jpg

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, in which Obi-Wan Kenobi faced his greatest defeat — the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side and became the evil Sith Lord, Darth Vader.

The series also marks the return of Hayden Christensen in the role of Darth Vader. Joining the cast are Moses Ingram, Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell, and Benny Safdie.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is executive-produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Deborah Chow, Ewan McGregor, and Joby Harold.

StarWars.com

This is the series I've been waiting for.

They are releasing it 45 years after the Star Wars premiere ... when we were first introduced to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

On 10/02/2022 at 17:12, Zathras5 said:

Cool, enjoying these Star Wars shows. The only negative thing is they remind me just how terrible the sequel trilogy was...

Boba Fett has turned into a washout, so I'm struggling to hold much hope for the Kenobi show... :/ 

On 12/02/2022 at 09:14, Som said:

The best episode didn't even have boba fett in it

And don't even get me started on that stupid "Mods" gang and their Vespa scooters... I'm surprised they didn't have a "Rockers" enemy faction to go with them...  Disney aren't even trying anymore...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_rockers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It has been pushed back two days ... now premiering on May 27 ...

...the first two episodes will drop.  :) 

• 1 month later...

While I've started to lose interest in SW and to a lesser extent the Marvel stuff, this does look good, I'll give it a shot.

I think I like the idea of a one and done mini-series instead of a long running one.   There's no reason to try and forcefully expand/stretch out Obi-Wans story.  At some point he's just chilling on the planet growing old waiting for Luke to either come find him or not.  

On 04/05/2022 at 15:15, George P said:

I think I like the idea of a one and done mini-series instead of a long running one. 

I agree. Foe me 8 episodes for one story and done is perfect for me. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/05/2022 at 09:46, Jim K said:

Just finished the first two episodes...

....pretty darn good IMO.

Agreed. I'm more of a Star Trek guy ( loving Strange New Worlds ) than a Star Wars guy but genuinely enjoyed these two episodes.

Yes? 🤣

Personally, I enjoyed it greatly, though the usual YT "personalities" ragged on it for ridiculous reasons...

Spoiler

Apparently, Leia ragging on her cousin is "woke"... Completely ignoring that kids tend to rag on cousins/siblings like that in real life AND, we've ALL see Leia rag on VADER in the original movies!  Doing that to her cousin was completely in character...

On 02/06/2022 at 08:43, FloatingFatMan said:

... I'm out.  I quit. I surrender.  Star Wars is done. :(

?

On 02/06/2022 at 15:46, FloatingFatMan said:

Episode 3.  I'm sure there are folks who'll love it but... I'm done.

I'm one of those who loved it. What did you dislike about it? As I enjoyed the show a lot so far, I'm interested to hear in which way fans are disappointed. especially since seeing so many horrible reviews on IMDB.

• Like 2

On 02/06/2022 at 08:46, FloatingFatMan said:

I thought it was a darn good episode.  Smile factor went way up.

Without spoilers...glad they did what they did instead of teasing what they did for the entire series.  If you know what I mean.

Can someone explain to me what happened please???

- in a spoiler tag or private message-

I am not planning to watch the show but I am REALLY curious about what could case such division 🤔

On 02/06/2022 at 09:46, FloatingFatMan said:

The series leads into episode 4 of the saga and that was the rise of the dark side.  It can't be all Jedi and no Empire. 

Spoiler

Glad they used the voice of James Earl Jones as Vader.  Plus Star Wars didn't really get to show the true power of Vader during the original movies.  This series gives them another opportunity to show his power.

Solid show thus far, and much better than BoBF.  

My only issue: episodes and the series itself should be longer.  6 episodes isn't enough, and if it is only going to be 6 then they should be longer episodes.  But this seems to be a bigger Disney issue as it's been roughly the same with the Marvel shows.  

On 02/06/2022 at 15:06, Raphaël G. said:

I'm one of those who loved it. What did you dislike about it? As I enjoyed the show a lot so far, I'm interested to hear in which way fans are disappointed. especially since seeing so many horrible reviews on IMDB.

On 02/06/2022 at 16:07, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Can someone explain to me what happened please???

- in a spoiler tag or private message-

I am not planning to watch the show but I am REALLY curious about what could case such division 🤔

Spoiler

Well, other than doing to Obi-Wan what they did to Luke in movies 8 & 9 and turning him into a complete wreck of a man who can't even manage to NOT say something utterly incompetent and stupid in front of a squad of Stormtroopers, what completely killed it for me is the Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader lightsaber fight.

No... Just... No.  The first time they meet since the Clone Wars is in SW:ANH and nowhere else.  If they want to retcon that pivotal moment for new audiences then fine, but I'm not taking their abuse of something I've loved for 45 years any more.  I'm out. :( 

I have lots of nitpicks but they're minor.   It's a good show.

What I really have a problem with is the point they say Hayden is back, but we never actually get to SEE him.

It used to be that you saw your prinicpal actors and had to catch the stunt-peeps in their occasional bits, but nowadays - esp in star wars - you have everyone masked like 100% of the time.  Hayden could have just done the promos and then went home to collect $$ and let some other guy walk in the suit and let James Earl Jones talk.  I mean, really...

I wouldn't know exactly how we'd "see" him but it's kinda like bugging me that he's out there promoting it but we never see or hear him.

On 02/06/2022 at 12:42, mram said:

I have lots of nitpicks but they're minor.   It's a good show.

What I really have a problem with is the point they say Hayden is back, but we never actually get to SEE him.

It used to be that you saw your prinicpal actors and had to catch the stunt-peeps in their occasional bits, but nowadays - esp in star wars - you have everyone masked like 100% of the time.  Hayden could have just done the promos and then went home to collect $$ and let some other guy walk in the suit and let James Earl Jones talk.  I mean, really...

I wouldn't know exactly how we'd "see" him but it's kinda like bugging me that he's out there promoting it but we never see or hear him.

Spoiler

You do see him for a quick moment.... I assume that was newly filmed and not used from archival footage.  But I did wonder the same thing, how do we see "Anakin" other than flashbacks.  I'm thinking it will be through visions Ben has.