Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+)

Haven't read anyone elses comments yet, but I just want to say I am not a fan of little Leia, I don't think she's a good actress, just my opinion. I know I should give young kids a break, and oh no I am such a bad person boohoo, but that's just my opinion, it sucks because it looks like she plays a huge part of the story.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2022 at 11:12, Steven P. said:

Haven't read anyone elses comments yet, but I just want to say I am not a fan of little Leia, I don't think she's a good actress, just my opinion. I know I should give young kids a break, and oh no I am such a bad person boohoo, but that's just my opinion, it sucks because it looks like she plays a huge part of the story.

My main issue with her is the lines don't match the character at all. They seem like something a kid would never actually say and it brings me out of the show the moment she opens her mouth.

As for spoiler based nitpicks I have:

Spoiler

I hate the Third Sister character, she is royally pissing me off and not for the reasons she's supposed to. At first I didn't like her because she's supposed to not be liked, but now the way they write her she just keeps magically guessing right and at zero consequence. To the point that in episode 3 she literally just "knows" where Leia is... and somehow gets to the other side of the tunnel before her despite there being only one path the entire way. It's bogus, and just terrible writing.

As far as Obi-Wan being old and out of touch, it does make some sense within the context of the show itself. He's basically given up his Jedi ways in order to protect Luke, because otherwise he'd be found and fail at that mission. However, I'd prefer if he was still training and actively practicing them in secret. The training Yoda gave him, and the fact that in Episode IV he's still obviously well versed in the force are things that should point to Obi-Wan continuing to keep his skills sharp.

They may end the show with that, though... where Obi-Wan finally talks with Qui-Gon and then resumes his Jedi practices under the oversight of his old master.

As for what Floating said... these kinds of retcons are minor; as far as I am aware there's nothing in Episode IV that says Vader and Obi-Wan didn't meet since the Clone Wars. And in this show, Obi-Wan doesn't know Anakin is still alive - yet in Episode IV he knows that Vader and Anakin are the same person. It also does make sense that Vader would hunt down Obi-Wan like this relentlessly (though him randomly murdering people in the town was just... mostly idiotic and made no sense at all). This all plays off what Obi-Wan said in Episode IV, so I personally have no real issues with that.

Overall I think this series is better than Bob Fett, but not as good as Mandalorian.

On 03/06/2022 at 12:57, Emn1ty said:

My main issue with her is the lines don't match the character at all. They seem like something a kid would never actually say and it brings me out of the show the moment she opens her mouth.

Hide contents

I hate the Third Sister character, she is royally pissing me off and not for the reasons she's supposed to. At first I didn't like her because she's supposed to not be liked, but now the way they write her she just keeps magically guessing right and at zero consequence. To the point that in episode 3 she literally just "knows" where Leia is... and somehow gets to the other side of the tunnel before her despite there being only one path the entire way. It's bogus, and just terrible writing.

As far as Obi-Wan being old and out of touch, it does make some sense within the context of the show itself. He's basically given up his Jedi ways in order to protect Luke, because otherwise he'd be found and fail at that mission. However, I'd prefer if he was still training and actively practicing them in secret. The training Yoda gave him, and the fact that in Episode IV he's still obviously well versed in the force are things that should point to Obi-Wan continuing to keep his skills sharp.

They may end the show with that, though... where Obi-Wan finally talks with Qui-Gon and then resumes his Jedi practices under the oversight of his old master.

As for what Floating said... these kinds of retcons are minor; as far as I am aware there's nothing in Episode IV that says Vader and Obi-Wan didn't meet since the Clone Wars. And in this show, Obi-Wan doesn't know Anakin is still alive - yet in Episode IV he knows that Vader and Anakin are the same person. It also does make sense that Vader would hunt down Obi-Wan like this relentlessly (though him randomly murdering people in the town was just... mostly idiotic and made no sense at all). This all plays off what Obi-Wan said in Episode IV, so I personally have no real issues with that.

Overall I think this series is better than Bob Fett, but not as good as Mandalorian.

Regarding a part in your spoiler...

Spoiler

Obi Wan one shots (well one slices) and kills Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels.  Though he was only in that one episode (iirc), I think it's safe to say he regains his skill.  He is older in Rebels (takes place before Rogue One/New Hope).  Anyway, kinda hoping (though prepared to be disappointed) that he regains his skill/the force of young Obi Wan before the show ends.  Only three episodes left....so, yeah.

Just a few nitpicks...

Spoiler

I do not have an issue with young Leia or the actress portraying her.  She's fine.  Not anywhere near as bad as young Anakin (or even "I don't like sand" Anakin)

Like Emn1ty, I do have some issues with Third Sister for the same reason.  Especially that tunnel scene.  I think they could have done away with focusing on that character...in that I mean just stick with the big bads - Darth Vader and the Inquisitors (Third Sister with them, sure, but not all that episode filling drama or whatever).

Nitpick on Obi Wan and Darth Vader...I mean, Darth Vader basically whoops his ass.  In A New Hope, Vader- "We meet again, at last.  The circle is now complete, When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master"

Yeah, maybe Obi Wan will kick his ass before the show ends to show who the current "Master" is.  If not, that line in A New Hope is kinda messed up.

"I am what you made me" ... loved that line.

On 03/06/2022 at 13:57, Emn1ty said:

Hide contents

A good analysis to read regarding your "mostly idiotic and made no sense at all" comment in the spoiler section.  I thought mostly the same until this gave it some context for me:  https://gizmodo.com/obi-wan-kenobi-darth-vader-episode-3-fight-anakin-skywa-1849011425

Not my favorite episode.  Really did not like all the screen time between those two characters.  Also, her...I mean...why would she have the information being sought?  That whole part was stupid. (I'm being vague to avoid spoilers, those that watched it know what I'm ranting about).

Two episodes left...they could have done without yesterday's IMO.

On 09/06/2022 at 19:20, Jim K said:

Not my favorite episode.  Really did not like all the screen time between those two characters.  Also, her...I mean...why would she have the information being sought?  That whole part was stupid. (I'm being vague to avoid spoilers, those that watched it know what I'm ranting about).

Two episodes left...they could have done without yesterday's IMO.

Spoiler

telling a ten year old girl "do you like pain?" 😂 and honestly she looks like she's 6, not 10.

On 09/06/2022 at 18:06, Steven P. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

telling a ten year old girl "do you like pain?" 😂 and honestly she looks like she's 6, not 10.

Well we do know Disney sure loves using that de-aging technology!!  🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Final series rating ... 2 out of 5 stars.

Liked:  The scenes with Obi-Wan and Darth Vader (in addition to scenes with Darth Vader and others)

Didn't like:  Such a sloppy story....crappy writing...could have been much, much better.  /sigh

Spoiler

I did enjoy the final fight scene between Obi and Darth with Obi whooping dat ass and the subsequent dialog between them.  

Spoiler

So an imperial cruiser is useless against a crappy refugee ship with a broke engine, apparently imperial cruisers are just show pieces and their weapons can't hit anything or even catch up with little ships.

Leia's lines were written as if they believed it was for a much older character, and apparently she's 10, while she looks about 6 or 7

Darth Vader could use his force powers to bring down a decoy ship but he let the other one go and the Imperial Cruiser in orbit is just as powerless to stop it

When ObiWan kicks Darths arse on that planet, ObiWan is able to leave with his little ship, and yep, the Imperial Cruiser is no match for a little ol shuttle.

It reinforces this meme 

sozdmd0bzcr71.jpg

😂

Bla bla did not like /rant