Can I replace Win-11 with Win-7 in a brand New System ?

Hi,

I bought a new Dell workstation 3660 with

i-7 12700
2 NVIDIA T-600 Cards To Run 8 Monitors
Win-11 Pro
3 M.2 512GB NVMe & 3 SATA 4TB 5400 RPM HDDs
Eight 24 inch Monitors ( 1920 x 1200 ) Resolution

I am facing several issues like Font size + Clipped Fonts in Windows explorer file & folder names if I try to increase Text size or scale + 2 Monitors out of 8 has different resolution, Microphone does not work or detect etc. Very similar issues faced by many people using Windows-11.

Currently I am using 10 year old Dell workstation T-7500 with 12 Monitors & Win-7 with no issues for last 10 years. But now cpu & other fans are making noise & age gets to me so I bought above new Dell 3660 Workstation.

4 different Dell engineers have been working on it for last 2 weeks with no results.

I have never used any newer versions of Windows like Win-8 or 10. I have to finish the current project that I am working & I feel very comfortable with Win-7 even without any updates since 2020.

So my question is can I install Win-7 on a different New M.2 NVMe SSD & use it in current new system that I just bought with specs shown above ? And if yes or no, what problems would I run into it ?

Thank You.

Hardware / software Incompatibility and no security updates. That's assuming you can even get it installed and booting.

You may try clean installing Windows 10, which is less buggy than windows 11.

From my quick search online, it looks like new systems that come with windows 11 can be downgraded to Windows 10

You'll have driver issues, be completely insecure, not able to fully utilize nvme and that newer latest proc. You might as well just buy a new fan for your noisy system and stay on that if you're gonna put Windows 7 on a modern system, you'll benchmark nowhere near what you should be getting with Windows 10/11.

Why spend all that money on high end hardware and gimp it with Windows 7? What a silly idea. 

• Like 3

On 25/07/2022 at 09:51, warwagon said:

Yeah, like he said, just install Windows 10. It's more stable, as I understand it.

• Like 1

I have updated exactly zero of my medical offices I serve with windows 11. Recently the new backup operating room system I ordered from Dell was shipped with 10 as I requested after returning the windows 11 unit I didn't order. Perhaps you should go this route, it's broken you've given them ample time to repair you and want a unit with Windows 10 that will take advantage of the new hardware without the issues or you are going to go with another company.  Going to suggest you remove the Operating system fear that you have about windows 10 it is rock solid at this juncture and pretty close to windows 7 in function and form. 

I would recommend staying on 11 honestly. 10 and below won't make proper use of the performance and efficiency cores causing degraded performance of both sides. This is part of what they used to push 11 was the new scheduler for these Intel CPUs

edit: also 7 doesn't natively support nvme that I'm aware either so you'd have slower read/write speeds if you can even boot 7 from an nvme that is

Windows 7? That OS was released nearly 13 years ago (October, 2009) and hasn't been supported for 2 1/2 years now.  Why on Earth would you install it on NEW hardware?  If you don't like Windows 11, don't go back 3 versions to an insecure, unsupported OS that won't run very well on your new PC.  Go to Windows 10.

Absolutely true . GET WINDOWS 10. Fully update it.

I is actually very good. If you don't like the start menu (or if you care at all about keeping Win7 look), then get Classic Shell.

I LOVED Win7. But it is just too old for new hardware.  

Windows 10 is great now and I plan to stay with it as long as I can. If I am right.... I will jump to Windows 12 skipping 11 completely.  Just like I skipped 8 on every computer I could.

On 25/07/2022 at 11:53, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Windows 10 is great now and I plan to stay with it as long as I can. If I am right.... I will jump to Windows 12 skipping 11 completely.  Just like I skipped 8 on every computer I could.

Hopefully 12 will be better if you follow the trend "every other release is better"

2000, ME (bad), XP, Vista (bad), 7, 8 (bad), 10..

On 25/07/2022 at 12:57, Mindovermaster said:

Hopefully 12 will be better if you follow the trend "every other release is better"

2000, ME (bad), XP, Vista (bad), 7, 8 (bad), 10..

I agree but you should have used 98 instead of 2000.

ME was a terrible upgrade to 98 which by that time was really working well.

2000 was different (only business focused), most consumers did not want... I don't think you can play games as well on it.

Anyway - I jumped from 98SE to ME and lasted less then 3 weeks. It crashed all th time.

I DAMN HOPE, that they make a good windows 12 to continue the trend and just give up on 11.

Now sure how but cutting customization and choices on the start menu and taskbar is a good start.

I think I was already OK with MS saying Windows 10 is the last version upgraded forever... if they are changing the mind.. they will likely finally look at feedback and make win12 good again

On 25/07/2022 at 13:25, E.Worm Jimmy said:

I agree but you should have used 98 instead of 2000.

ME was a terrible upgrade to 98 which by that time was really working well.

2000 was different (only business focused), most consumers did not want... I don't think you can play games as well on it.

Anyway - I jumped from 98SE to ME and lasted less then 3 weeks. It crashed all th time.

I DAMN HOPE, that they make a good windows 12 to continue the trend and just give up on 11.

Now sure how but cutting customization and choices on the start menu and taskbar is a good start.

I think I was already OK with MS saying Windows 10 is the last version upgraded forever... if they are changing the mind.. they will likely finally look at feedback and make win12 good again

2000 wasn't actually that bad. Had some improvements over 98/SE. But XP was the successor of that.

Just leave 11, and buy a copy of WindowBlinds from stardock.com and get a good Windows 7 skin from https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/9427/

Or get their newest product Curtains, and a skin for that: https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/curtains/163/

Microsoft should really open desktop theming IMO. I think it would help with getting people to run the 'latest and greatest' easier if it could look the same.

• Facepalm 1

On 25/07/2022 at 15:10, margrave said:

Just leave 11, and buy a copy of WindowBlinds from stardock.com and get a good Windows 7 skin from https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/9427/

Or get their newest product hi Curtains, and a skin for that: https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/curtains/163/

Microsoft should really open desktop theming IMO. I think it would help with getting people to run the 'latest and greatest' easier if it could look the same.

Did you even try to read the original post before commenting?

Or the skin can fix the issue he is having?

If it can be fixed with a skin.... Damn, that is obviously the simplest solution 

On 25/07/2022 at 20:21, warwagon said:

Hardware / software Incompatibility and no security updates. That's assuming you can even get it installed and booting.

From my quick search online, it looks like new systems that come with windows 11 can be downgraded to Windows 10

Thank You.

On 25/07/2022 at 20:51, shockz said:

Why spend all that money on high end hardware and gimp it with Windows 7? What a silly idea

I did not know all the bugs in Win-11, so the system is sitting in a corner. Dell is not responding so what can I do ?

On 25/07/2022 at 21:29, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, like he said, just install Windows 10. It's more stable, as I understand it.

So are you using win-10 OR 11 ?

On 25/07/2022 at 21:51, DoctorD said:

I have updated exactly zero of my medical offices I serve with windows 11. Recently the new backup operating room system I ordered from Dell was shipped with 10 as I requested after returning the windows 11 unit I didn't order. Perhaps you should go this route, it's broken you've given them ample time to repair you and want a unit with Windows 10 that will take advantage of the new hardware without the issues or you are going to go with another company.  Going to suggest you remove the Operating system fear that you have about windows 10 it is rock solid at this juncture and pretty close to windows 7 in function and form. 

Thank you. I have written several emails & worked with Dell's engineers online & in person for over three weeks with no solution. Last Thursday, July 21, 2022 I told them that I have been extremely generous with my time & helped their engineers do troubleshooting without any success. I gave them 3 options. (1) Send me a new system without issues I am having. (2) Give me an older but proven model Dell workstation 5820 (3) Give me my money back. They have not responded yet. 

On 25/07/2022 at 22:02, Nick H. said:

As others have said, I cannot recommend putting Windows 7 on it. Go for Windows 10 instead. It makes more sense.

Thanks. Appreciate your suggestion.

On 26/07/2022 at 06:23, dan99t said:

I did not know all the bugs in Win-11, so the system is sitting in a corner. Dell is not responding so what can I do ?

I’d honestly return it if you still can and try another system build. If your setup can’t be supported on windows 11 after that, I’d erase the drive and start over with Windows 10.

Dell also isn’t the greatest with factory images, maybe try a clean install of 11/10 on it before returning it. Make sure to download all drivers first. 

On 25/07/2022 at 22:08, Brandon H said:

I would recommend staying on 11 honestly. 10 and below won't make proper use of the performance and efficiency cores causing degraded performance of both sides. This is part of what they used to push 11 was the new scheduler for these Intel CPUs

edit: also 7 doesn't natively support nvme that I'm aware either so you'd have slower read/write speeds if you can even boot 7 from an nvme that is

Are you using Win-11 & if yes can you resolve the issues of Tiny Fonts + Clipped Fonts as shown in attachments please ? And if you are using multi monitors then the issue of having 2 monitors a different resolution out of 8 that I tried to use ? I have tried every possible combination of different text size & scale but nothing works. I have been using Win-7 for last 10 years with 12 Monitors & older workstation with no such problems.

Many Thanks.

Very Small Unreadable Text Size ( Fonts ).png

Clipped Fonts.png

On 25/07/2022 at 22:14, devHead said:

Windows 7? That OS was released nearly 13 years ago (October, 2009) and hasn't been supported for 2 1/2 years now.  Why on Earth would you install it on NEW hardware?

Please read my response to Brandon H.

On 25/07/2022 at 23:55, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Why do you think they are giving away Win-11 FREE upgrade ?

They want you to do their dirty work on 11 so that they can then probably come out with Win-12 & charge few hundred $$$$$ ?

On 26/07/2022 at 16:34, shockz said:

I’d honestly return it if you still can and try another system build. If your setup can’t be supported on windows 11 after that, I’d erase the drive and start over with Windows 10.

Dell also isn’t the greatest with factory images, maybe try a clean install of 11/10 on it before returning it. Make sure to download all drivers first. 

Thank you. I have written several emails & worked with Dell's engineers online & in person for over three weeks with no solution. Last Thursday, July 21, 2022 I told them that I have been extremely generous with my time & helped their engineers do troubleshooting without any success. I gave them 3 options. (1) Send me a new system without issues I am having. (2) Give me an older but proven model Dell workstation 5820 (3) Give me my money back. They have not responded yet.