Nvidia Shield & external drives - question

Fairly new Nvidia Shield owner here. Before I get too far in to owning it, installing whatever on it & finding out it would've been better to do it differently, my question is an external drive - how do you format it as

1) as device storage, so it's basically one big lump of storage

2) as attached storage, so that when you access via your PC & click on the Shield as a network drive, you can access both internal & external sections of the Shield?

to take it a little further -

I've attached a 480GB SSD to my Shield. I've had all manner of trouble setting it up as a Plex Media Server but finally stumbled across being able to do it last night where I could access my own movies that I put on there.

My use of the Shield in case it impacts on the answer will basically be -

* Netflix and similar apps.

* Plex Media Server. In the past I've used my PC but I would rather have the option of not having to have my PC turned on. Just throw some movies on the Shield & watch via that.

* The third I don't know how much I'm allowed to say because I know certainly areas of it probably aren't allowed to be discussed on the forum so let's just say old classic games.

Does it really matter whether the drive is formatted as device storage or just as an attached drive? Is it better one way vs the other or does it really make no difference whatsoever?

EDIT - Sorry, to be specific, it's the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

On my shield I have it formatted as normal storage so I can unplug and connect to my pc for quicker file transfer, this is the best option if you want to add any media if you format it as device storage it uses it if it is built in and part of the device so not the best option for what yu are trying to do. 

Regarding your other question look up "retroX" I use this and it works great on the shield.