Which 5 movies do you wish they'd never made sequels for?

On 14/09/2022 at 19:25, Nick H. said:

Heresy! 😅

That's got to be one of the better sequels for a film. surely?

I did sequels to sequels. So, Terminator 3 would be the odd one out.

Terminator 2 might be one of the best films ever made, imo.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2022 at 14:04, Brandon H said:

I agree with you on most of these except for Predator. The new Pray really redeemed the series for me.

forgot Independence Day and Robocop even had sequels lol

On 14/09/2022 at 20:06, adrynalyne said:

Prey was amazing.

I haven't watched it because I was skeptical of the plot as I understand it. How in the world did a native American woman from 300 years ago last longer than 30 seconds against a Predator?

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

On 15/09/2022 at 15:07, timster said:

I did sequels to sequels. So, Terminator 3 would be the odd one out.

Terminator 2 might be one of the best films ever made, imo.

Oh, right! Yeah, that was pretty bad. I mean, the whole series is in decline after 2. I think Kristanna Loken was the only thing that kept me watching - I was probably only 14/15 when it came out though, so cut me some slack. :laugh:

On 15/09/2022 at 15:16, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

I haven't watched it because I was skeptical of the plot as I understand it. How in the world did a native American woman from 300 years ago last longer than 30 seconds against a Predator?

In fairness, Arnie ended up going old school in order to take the Predator down in the first film...

On 15/09/2022 at 10:41, Nick H. said:

Oh, right! Yeah, that was pretty bad. I mean, the whole series is in decline after 2. I think Kristanna Loken was the only thing that kept me watching - I was probably only 14/15 when it came out though, so cut me some slack. :laugh:

In fairness, Arnie ended up going old school in order to take the Predator down in the first film...

True but he was at least built like a tank and was able to take some damage.

On 15/09/2022 at 17:02, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

True but he was at least built like a tank and was able to take some damage.

Hmm, good point. I need to watch Prey again and take another look. I can't say that it was particularly memorable for me - it was like a coming-of-age story, but rather than growing up it was about proving that women can do what men can. Unlike Predators, which I thought was a decent action sequel because of the mashup of killers thrown into the Predators' game.

On 15/09/2022 at 14:16, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

She doesn't.  In the first movie we had a squad of special forces soldiers, heavily armed, and only ONE survived through sheer luck more than anything.  My suspension of disbelief doesn't go far enough to let me think a primitive human woman with stone weapons could even scratch a race as advanced and physically imposing as the Predators.  Not even the tribes fiercest of warriors would have lasted more than a minute or two against it.

I've tried to watch it twice now, and so far haven't gotten more than 30 minutes in before I just can't take the dumb any more and shut it off...

On 15/09/2022 at 09:29, FloatingFatMan said:

She doesn't.  In the first movie we had a squad of special forces soldiers, heavily armed, and only ONE survived through sheer luck more than anything.  My suspension of disbelief doesn't go far enough to let me think a primitive human woman with stone weapons could even scratch a race as advanced and physically imposing as the Predators.  Not even the tribes fiercest of warriors would have lasted more than a minute or two against it.

I've tried to watch it twice now, and so far haven't gotten more than 30 minutes in before I just can't take the dumb any more and shut it off...

Keep in mind the predator is also less sophisticated. 

On 15/09/2022 at 21:21, adrynalyne said:

Keep in mind the predator is also less sophisticated. 

Approx 100 years for a race that has interstellar travel REALLY isn't going to make a great deal of difference to primitive humans that still use stone tools or at best, muskets...

Ant meet boot.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy some folks enjoy it.  There's just some things I find too... silly to enjoy.

On 15/09/2022 at 23:19, FloatingFatMan said:

Approx 100 years for a race that has interstellar travel REALLY isn't going to make a great deal of difference to primitive humans that still use stone tools or at best, muskets...

Ant meet boot.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy some folks enjoy it.  There's just some things I find too... silly to enjoy.

Dunno, that bear drew quite a bit of blood on that boot. 

On 14/09/2022 at 12:12, Nick H. said:

I think Jurassic Park is the one for me that hasn't been mentioned. The Lost World was unnecessary, or maybe it was just poorly done.

Other than that, I agree that Independence Day didn't need the sequel, nor did Jaws or Men in Black - although I will concede that MiB3 was good fun.

Part of me wants to say that Blade Runner didn't need a sequel, but I think that what they did ended up being pretty decent. The only issue is that it removed the ambiguity from the original.

I'D argue ID itself did not need to exist period.

On 15/09/2022 at 10:41, Nick H. said:

Arnold took the predator down because he "outsmarted" him ... or more realistically he was smarter than the Predator thought he was and the Predator being a superior race was overconfident in his ability to win. Overconfidence leads to mistakes. Arnold would have got his ass kicked and died had the Predator really wanted to.

People often talk lately about how realistic the first movie was because there was a bunch of muscular men in it. But in reality it doesn't make a difference. The Predator is of a superior race, far more advanced and intelligent and also physically superior. Your only chance is a bit of luck and being smart and hope the Predator will do some mistakes. The new movie doesn't "suck" because it's a small primitive woman it sucks because it's stupid like 90% of movies those days. The worst is it's still far better than the previous movie in the series lol

• Like 1

Yesterday I heard that Disney are doing a re-make of The Neverending Story. Why they do these things is beyond me. Some stuff just needs leaving the hell alone!

On 21/09/2022 at 02:07, spikey_richie said:

Yesterday I heard that Disney are doing a re-make of The Neverending Story. Why they do these things is beyond me. Some stuff just needs leaving the hell alone!

Because it's a neverending story

The Matrix - Should have left those alone after the 3rd.

Superman (original 1978) - They should have left that one alone after Superman II.

Halloween (original). After Halloween II, they should have left it alone.

Rambo - After 2009's Rambo, where he finally comes home. That should have been the end of it. Perfect ending, ruined by Rambo: Last Blood.

The Fast & The Furious. Sequels getting pretty stupid.

Star Trek: Nemesis should never have been made, as it was just a crap film overall. Director Stuart Baird obviously had no clue what the ST franchise was about, nor who/what the TNG franchise main characters were, for that matter. Along with the "help" of writer John Logan, the franchise was killed for a time. Then, it was resurrected some years later in another new-ish format, only to be destroyed once again by another filmmaker who didn't "get it" after two films, namely JJ Abrams. 

On 22/09/2022 at 22:14, nerim said:

Star Trek: Nemesis should never have been made, as it was just a crap film overall. Director Stuart Baird obviously had no clue what the ST franchise was about, nor who/what the TNG franchise main characters were, for that matter. Along with the "help" of writer John Logan, the franchise was killed for a time. Then, it was resurrected some years later in another new-ish format, only to be destroyed once again by another filmmaker who didn't "get it" after two films, namely JJ Abrams. 

So, you want to wipe your brain of Star Trek: Nemesis so you can watch, that which you hate, for the first time again?

• Haha 1

On 23/09/2022 at 06:44, nerim said:

This reminds me that I must have added another item to my list: Pirates of the Caribbeans 4 & 5. Like Stuart Baird, director Joachim Rønning had absolutely no idea what Jack Sparrow was all about, mistakenly thinking that in the first film, Jack Sparrow was not the lead. Apparently, nobody told him that in the first film, which Joachim Rønning says was his favorite, Jack shot and killed the primary antagonist.