Community activity list not updating much

On 26/10/2022 at 10:17, Steven P. said:

The main page is a news page. Not a forum page with all of it's related options.

Let’s stop splitting hairs here. I have answered as best I can the reasoning for making the change. Why not bookmark https://www.neowin.net/forum/discover/ or leave a tab with it opened?

Seems like it’s not panning out for improvements you had hoped for.

The front page has been a focal point for the forum, well, always for me. I don’t type neowin.net/forum, I type neowin.net. It’s the first thing I look at here. This is akin to Microsoft removing the task manager from the right click option in the taskbar and making you right click a button to get to it.

It’s my landing page for this site and if I don’t see any relevant forum topics in activity, I hop off the site until next time. 

Since you’ve made this change, has forum activity increased? I’d be shocked if it has. 

I honestly thought the site was just deader/in decline mostly due to the front page activity feed never updating. 

I guess I’ll bookmark that link, but it doesn’t make it any easier to find content that once was right there.

• Like 2

This is a great showcase for our forums!

Guests can see our tech related topics, and they can scroll further on the same page for our most recent news.

image.png

It sounds a lot like complaining for the sake of complaining when there are more ways to track activity of the forums in real time, right from the forums.

I'd be happy if I could get a listing like that. This is all I've seen for at least 24 hours.  I did discover if I wipe my cookies and re-login, all works for about an hour. 

Screenshot_20221026_162910_Brave.jpg

On 26/10/2022 at 14:47, Steven P. said:

It sounds a lot like complaining for the sake of complaining when there are more ways to track activity of the forums in real time, right from the forums.

Come on, man.  The first and most vital rule of Sales is don't insult your customers...  People are spending time to give honest feedback, and you're giving us a really poor reaction.

I'll also throw join the group on this.  I have a tab sitting open with the main neowin.net page, and I hit refresh throughout the day and see what's new.  It gives me the happy medium of seeing some forum topics and the homepage topics. 
I'm not going to sit on the /forum webpage and dig into each section for what's new.  The Mini Spy list is too short, so that's not ideal either.

I have noticed that the political topics seem to be on the Community Activity list almost constantly.  I just figured that was because those topics trigger people the most and are therefore the most active.  Not sure if that's truly related or not.
As an alternate idea, maybe make the Community Activity list a little longer; perhaps 10 instead of 8.  Or make an option to configure it. Any visual bit of extra diversity would be a good improvement.

On 27/10/2022 at 00:06, shockz said:

That thread at the bottom hasn't had a post in 24 hours. Something's clearly wrong with the polling. Or have the forums just had not enough activity?

image.png.a147930bcb335ef8d1372a6a77917ff1.png

and there has been tons of other posts on the forums since then and they never show up on the activity list... is this list based on some other criteria that isn't just what's most recent?

On 28/10/2022 at 13:24, neufuse said:

Did something change? suddenly it's updating more frequently now, and a post I just made in a topic that wasn't listed actually showed up this time!

Has the list length increased from 8 to 10 or was it always 8, if it has it's a good change as long as it updates.

On 31/10/2022 at 08:47, SnoopZ said:

Has the list length increased from 8 to 10 or was it always 8, if it has it's a good change as long as it updates.

looks like it increased to 10? was always 8 before for me

On 28/10/2022 at 08:24, neufuse said:

Did something change? suddenly it's updating more frequently now, and a post I just made in a topic that wasn't listed actually showed up this time!

Was just going to ask same thing